Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: HTC Mogul Vs. Touch??

Carrier(s)
    Cricket (
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hyperdrunk
    Well after doing some more research, I found out Raphael is coming out in september, so i'll wait for that.
    Good idea I am too
    Click below for $25 Cricket Credit Referral
    mycricket.sparkrefer.com/4XcMBr9

Click below for $25 Cricket Credit Referral
    mycricket.sparkrefer.com/4Mhb8SD

Click Below for $25 Cricket Credit Referral
    https://mycricket.sparkrefer.com/4S9yQen

Device(s)
    AT&T Tilt
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    MOGUL all the way!

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 4 16Gb 4.0.1 jailbroken
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RobNyc
    Good idea I am too
    Same with me. I don't like the htc touch cause of it's lack of keyboard. I should've chosen the mogul instead!

Device(s)
    HTC Touch Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the posts guys. I was in the store today and spent over an hour testing out both phones only to end up at a stalemate. Having never used either phones, the keyboard was much easier to use on the Mogul XV6800 right off the bat but the Touch got easier and easier as I typed out several messages. In the end I think I was still faster with the Mogul.

The Touch XV6900 was a lot nicer in the pocket. The Touch was definitely smaller, the keyboard on the Mogul XV6800 seemed to make most of the difference in thickness.

I like both a lot and was pretty much at a draw on making a decision. I think if I absolutely had to make a choice now it would be the Mogul because I will likely sign up for GPS abilities which the Touch can not do. Another nice thing is the RevA abilities which are scarce now but should become more available later (according to the store rep I spoke with).

What is this RAPHAEL you guys speak of? Link?

Thanks

Device(s)
    HTC Raphael / HTC Victor
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Skylinepilot
    Thanks for the posts guys. I was in the store today and spent over an hour testing out both phones only to end up at a stalemate. Having never used either phones, the keyboard was much easier to use on the Mogul XV6800 right off the bat but the Touch got easier and easier as I typed out several messages. In the end I think I was still faster with the Mogul.

The Touch XV6900 was a lot nicer in the pocket. The Touch was definitely smaller, the keyboard on the Mogul XV6800 seemed to make most of the difference in thickness.

I like both a lot and was pretty much at a draw on making a decision. I think if I absolutely had to make a choice now it would be the Mogul because I will likely sign up for GPS abilities which the Touch can not do. Another nice thing is the RevA abilities which are scarce now but should become more available later (according to the store rep I spoke with).

What is this RAPHAEL you guys speak of? Link?

Thanks
    I just got my Mogul two months ago and love it. I'm on Sprint's SERO plan, which comes with unlimited data which I use everyday to tether my laptop to Sprint's REV. A network using the WMWifi Router. I use my Mogul as a GPS unit as well using Tom Tom 6.

You will get frustrated with the stock roms, but as of the newest leaked rom from Sprint, v. 3.49, everything runs super fast. The phone is a diamond in the rough so to speak. You will get annoyed with the RAM, but if you load a memory manager or a custom rom, things will be okay. The video driver issue kinda sucks, but I don't do a lot of multimedia on my phone so it's okay by me. I do watch YouTube, and the Mogul handles that like a pro.

But I will upgrade to the Raphael though... that phone screams 'BUY ME' everytime I see an article on it. 128 MB RAM and a 3.2 MP camera is a good reason for me to upgrade.

Here's the link you asked:
    http://www.engadget.com/2008/04/23/h...-looking-good/

Device(s)
    Nokia N76
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert_Fox
    ...with unlimited data which I use everyday to tether my laptop to Sprint's REV. A network using the WMWifi Router. I use my Mogul as a GPS unit as well using Tom Tom 6.

You will get frustrated with the stock roms, but as of the newest leaked rom from Sprint, v. 3.49, everything runs super fast. The phone is a diamond in the rough so to speak. You will get annoyed with the RAM, but if you load a memory manager or a custom rom, things will be okay. The video driver issue kinda sucks, but I don't do a lot of multimedia on my phone so it's okay by me. I do watch YouTube, and the Mogul handles that like a pro.
    Hey Desert_Fox, I'm a pretty annoyed owner of the Mogul mainly because of it's slugglishness, but stick with it because there seems to be nothing else out there for me.

Your post has me a bit hopeful though. Do you have recommendations for some of what you said? In particular:
    1) The newest leaked ROM? this is different than HTC's official ROM over here:
    http://www.htc.com/us/FAQ_Detail.aspx?p_id=75&act=sd
    (Download Mogul by HTC Rev.A and LBS Update – Version 3.35.651.2 , : Posted March 10, 2008 )
    2) Other custom ROM and memory manager programs?
    3) Using your Mogul as a Navi unit? I myself just took a trip to Niagara Falls, ON, CA with my wife's N82 and was counting on using her unit as a GPS unit. I didn't realize I needed to get a service to use it (another thread on howardforums.com discusses this and ultimately suggests the Garmin Mobile XT version - I'll look into buying this for her)

Also, other than youtube, what other multimedia video are we discussing for watching on your phone where the video driver problem would be annoying.

Carrier(s)
    Cricket (
    Feedback Score
    I went back to my Touch its just better overall for me.
    Faster, More ROMs, more fun, nicer size, better feeling.
    Till the Raphael comes out

Device(s)
    HTC Touch
    Carrier(s)
    CricKet
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bravo261
    the touch and mogul run the same system, so software runs fine on one or the other. its the hardware that's different between the two, and you know what those basically are.

i don't know a thing about the mogul or its problems, but if i know i had a mogul that worked well, i would not take the touch for any reason. i like the hardware keys, keyboard could be useful too, but the touch isn't all that different if software is your main concern

As far as I was aware, the Mogul runs on WM5 and the Touch on WM6. Now, here's the kicker. If you are using Sprint service with this unit, on the Touch, the WiFi applet is blocked off, preventing you from using wifi connectivity, however, on the Mogul, that's not the case.

Some friends and I have the Touch and the chatter around the proverbial campfire is that some of us are considering changing to the Mogul to utilize this.

Device(s)
    HTC PPC 6800, WM6 and custom 6 button Home screen.
    Carrier(s)
    alltel
    Feedback Score
    If you like to use things (like you aren't supposed to like when driving, even like -> to call someone, or to call up GPS to find a location you are headed to) Well, I cant help but believe the TOUCH is far superior (stock). I have the latest ROM from alltel, which is WM 6.0, sprint is 6.1, Anywho, Moguls are IMHO, great "AT DESK" or on the BUS phones. Everything is Menu, scroll driven with stylus as the designed mode of operation (that I feel). Sure the scroll wheel does some things.

I know people are gonna say put the TOUCH HOME app and customizer on my MOGUL, and yeah, I had that at one time, just before the final was released. then I did the rom cooking, and since then, it hasn't worked 100% for me, Plus, I really wanted the weather to work I guess and I never got it to work right.

To me the touch seems more commuter friendly, but that is only an opinion after having tried the Touch flo and touch HOME on the mogul at one time early on...

Device(s)
    Nokia N76
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting32
    If you like to use things (like you aren't supposed to like when driving, even like -> to call someone, or to call up GPS to find a location you are headed to) Well, I cant help but believe the TOUCH is far superior (stock). I have the latest ROM from alltel, which is WM 6.0, sprint is 6.1, Anywho, Moguls are IMHO, great "AT DESK" or on the BUS phones. Everything is Menu, scroll driven with stylus as the designed mode of operation (that I feel). Sure the scroll wheel does some things.

I know people are gonna say put the TOUCH HOME app and customizer on my MOGUL, and yeah, I had that at one time, just before the final was released. then I did the rom cooking, and since then, it hasn't worked 100% for me, Plus, I really wanted the weather to work I guess and I never got it to work right.

To me the touch seems more commuter friendly, but that is only an opinion after having tried the Touch flo and touch HOME on the mogul at one time early on...
    While the Mogul is annoying to use while driving because of it's mainly two handed needs, the Touch also bothered me because you have to look at the screen to see what you are typing. I have both a Mogul and a N76 for T-mobile, and my N76 is my primary phone so with its numerical keypad + T9, I'm fine texting on that while I drive (but do wish the N76's keypad was a bit better). I would love for Sprint to have a phone one day that can give me both a hard QWERTY keyboard AND a hard numerical keypad. I'm not a fan of the whole Touchscreen input thing.

Device(s)
    HTC PPC 6800, WM6 and custom 6 button Home screen.
    Carrier(s)
    alltel
    Feedback Score
    I dont text while driving, I hardly ever text... Texting is what you do on the PC, I bought the phone so I can TALK on the thing (seriously I hate typing lol). So that part doesnt affect me and probably others.

Device(s)
    HTC Touch Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score
    Those are some good points you guys bring up.

Unfortunately, I have been told the Sprint version of the Touch is not GPS capable (While mogul is with software upgrades).

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    gadgety sleek design casual fun use email web text phone = Touch

productive work power speed high volume email web text phone = Mogul

that's the way I see it....pretty simple choice....

I use a BB for work (provided at no cost) and Touch for personal....good balance

Device(s)
    HTC Raphael / HTC Victor
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Skylinepilot
    Those are some good points you guys bring up.

Unfortunately, I have been told the Sprint version of the Touch is not GPS capable (While mogul is with software upgrades).

Things have changed now, you can use the Alltel upgrade to enable EVDO Rev. A and GPS, but that requires some Googling on your part.

Otherwise, check out PPCgeeks.com for more info.

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid
    Carrier(s)
    verizscum
    Feedback Score
    Almost a week with two vz flavored Touch's...and we both love them! A little hacking & a some software on mine = GREAT!!!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast