Thread: Call waiting--how to turn off

Phone
    LG VX8700
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Call waiting--how to turn off

I just bought a LG VX8700 yesterday, so far I am satisfied.

However I was going thru the enclosed booklets and found out that I cannot turn off voice mail. Is there a way to do this?

I am not a big fan of call waiting, I just want to be on the phone without all the annoying beeping of an incoming call and would rather those call be automatically be sent to voicemail.

Thank you

Phone
    Incredible
    Carrier
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    The features can not be turned off from the phone. Call customer service so they can remove Call Waiting and Voice Mail features from your account.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brianindetroit
    I just want to be on the phone without all the annoying beeping of an incoming call and would rather those call be automatically be sent to voicemail.

Thank you
    If you remove call waiting, those calls will ring busy and not go to voicemail. The ability for the call to go to voicemail after ringing is due to the call waiting feature.

Phones
    A phone
    with buttons
    'n stuff
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    You can effectively turn off call waiting from the phone by dialing *71 then your 10 digit mobile number then send. This activates No answer/busy transfer which forwards your calls if you are on the phone or don't answer. Since you are forwarding to your own number, it will go direct to voice mail. Dial *73 send if you want to turn it off.

Additionally, you can call CS and they can remove call waiting from your account if you want and it will work pretty much the same way.

Phone
    Iphone 4
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    maybe you still want to keep call waiting but you want to remove that beep when someone calls you? Is this correct, if so then call cs and have them remove the call waiting notification, but keep the call waiting.

Phone
    LG VX8700
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I just dont want the annoying beep. It does not make any sense as to why someonw would want to get rid of voicemail.

I used to have nextel (which overall sucked, so I came to verizon), one thing nice about those phones, they give you the ability to turn on/off call waiting whenever you desire. But I will give the *71/*73 thing a shot, hopefully it works without giving up my voicemail.

Call waiting is annoying 99.9% of the time, its only useful purpose is if you are expecting a very important call and need to know when that call is coming in. Otherwise, I hate call waiting with a passion.

Thanks for all your help so far.

Phones
    Blackberry Storm/Motorola k1m
    Motorola i850
    Motorola v3xx
    Carriers
    Verizon;
    AT&..... I'm sorry, you faded out. Could you repeat that?
    Feedback Score
    *70 + 10 digit number will cancel call waiting. Callers are sent to voicemail immediately when dialing *70 before the number you call. You just have to make sure to do it before each phone call.

Phones
    Apple iPhone 4 32GB
    Apple iPhone 4 32GB
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Should be *70 and then the phone #...
    We are [TheBORG]. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.
    * FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER! *
    "There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."