Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Re-map Media Net and CV buttons?

Phones
    Samsung Blackjack II
    T-Mobile SDA
    Carrier
    at&t
    Feedback Score

My solution

I actually wrote my own launcher app to handle this. Feel free to give it a try.

Instructions:
    1) Make sure your phone is App unlocked (search the web for fav method to do this)
    2) Unzip attached file
    3) Modify *.config files to point to your favorite app (MediaNet.exe.config corresponds to the at&t button and CV.exe.config corresponds to the CV button)
    4) Drop all four files into the \Windows directory on your phone
    5) The first time you try to execute you will get a warning that the executable is from an untrusted source.

Some notes:
    1) Upon using the hardkeys with the above, if you look in TaskManager you'll see a CV.exe and a MediaNet.exe application listed. They remain unless you reboot your phone or kill them. This is to make task switching as fast as possible (my first implementation was a simple command line tool but then it had about a 2-3 second lag each time I used the hardkey, so I switched to this method).
    2) The first use of each button will take a few seconds as it loads the launcher app and reads the xml config. However, subsequent uses of the hardkeys will basically be instant.
    3) If you change the config file be sure to kill the app using TaskManager and re-launch using the hardkey to pick up the new config file. I only read config at launch.
    4) The MediaNet and CV shortcuts in your start menu will now launch whatever app you've configured. I actually removed those shortcuts from my start menu as it was too cluttered. If you're one of the few who actually uses MediaNet or CV you can still get to them using the IE favorites links.

Hope this helps.

-x
    Attached Files Attached Files

Phone
    Nokia 6820
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Thanks

It works well. If someone found a way to fix the LED everthing would be perfect.

SeanH

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by xkuizit
    I actually wrote my own launcher app to handle this. Feel free to give it a try.

Hell of a first post. Please make yourself at home.

Ill give this a shot sometime soon.

EH

Feedback Score
    If the phone reboots, do we need to rerun the app? If so, where can we specify to automatically run it after the system boots up?

Phones
    Samsung Blackjack II
    T-Mobile SDA
    Carrier
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by opticalc
    If the phone reboots, do we need to rerun the app? If so, where can we specify to automatically run it after the system boots up?
    When you click either of the hard key buttons it attempts to run the respective launcher app. If the app isn't already running it starts and then launches whatever you've configured it to launch. If it's already running it simply launches whatever you've configured it to launch.

There's really no advantage to automatically running it at system boot unless you're really anal about performance for the very first time that you use the hard key. That said, if you are, then simply add shortcuts to the two apps in your \windows\startup folder. However, note, if you do so then not only will the two launcher apps start up at each boot, but whatever you've configured them to launch will also be started at each boot. Doesn't make much sense to me (I hate having a bunch of stuff automatically starting after boot) but maybe you have a special use case for it.

-x

Phone
    iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    My phone IS app unlocked (using SurrealNetworksAppUnlock), but it will not let me overwrite the original EXE's. I get a permissions errors every time. Any ideas?

Phone
    iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Nevermind...found the problem. Vista will not let you delete or overwrite system files (cv.exe and medianet.exe).

I just did this method using XP on a different computer and it worked perfectly!

Phone
    Blackjack II
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    ok, here is a dumb question...

how do i actually "Modify *.config files to point to your favorite app (MediaNet.exe.config corresponds to the at&t button and CV.exe.config corresponds to the CV button)"

Thanks to a different post I was able to hack my BJII and get internet sharing on my phone again. Lets just say I want to use the CV button to launch the internet sharing program. How exactly do I do that?

I have the zipped files on my BJII now and just need to know how to point them in the right direction.

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Phones
    Samsung Blackjack II
    T-Mobile SDA
    Carrier
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jkageler
    Lets just say I want to use the CV button to launch the internet sharing program. How exactly do I do that?
    So on your computer you unzipped the file, right? There should be 5 files as a result: 2 .exe files, 2 .exe.config files, and a README.

In your CV.exe.config file (open it in Notepad) you should see a line like:
    <add key="Path" value="/Program Files/Live Search/LiveSearch.exe" />

modify it to something like:
    <add key="Path" value="/Windows/IntShrUI.exe" />

Save the file.

Copy the 4 files (2 .exe and 2 .exe.config) to your /Windows directory.

Now the CV button should launch your Internet Sharing app.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jkozlow3
    Nevermind...found the problem. Vista will not let you delete or overwrite system files (cv.exe and medianet.exe).

I just did this method using XP on a different computer and it worked perfectly!
    Anyone know how to override this behavior in Vista? I don't have an XP machine handy...

Thanks,

Phones
    Samsung Blackjack II
    T-Mobile SDA
    Carrier
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by quksilver
    Anyone know how to override this behavior in Vista? I don't have an XP machine handy...

Thanks,
    It works fine for me in Vista. When you have the folder open. Press the Alt key and go to Tools -> Folder Options. Under the View tab uncheck the "Hide protected operating system files" option. Then copy the files to the /Windows directory and when it prompts you as to whether you'd like to replace the files say yes.

Feedback Score
    i still can't get the CV and MediaNet deleted... i get a message saying: "CV could not be deleted. You do not have permission to delete this item." i used Surreal Network App Unlock and Mocado's gps activation and unlock programs... but do not know if my bjII is unlocked... please help!!! thank you!

Feedback Score

CV to Telenav

I'm looking to remap the CV button to the Telenav application. I have some knowledge of how to do remapping but i can not find a *.exe for Telenav can anyone explain this for me or just give me the path so that i can set this up. thanks much for this great Remapping tool
    Brad

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by xkuizit
    It works fine for me in Vista. When you have the folder open. Press the Alt key and go to Tools -> Folder Options. Under the View tab uncheck the "Hide protected operating system files" option. Then copy the files to the /Windows directory and when it prompts you as to whether you'd like to replace the files say yes.
    When I try it, I get the error, "CV.exe could not be placed on this device. You do not have permission to create this item."

Actually, hmm, that makes me think I need to disable UAC for a second... (Or figure out how to copy as an administrator.)

Edit: Nope, that wasn't it. Same error with UAC on or off, and my account does have admin privileges. Still not sure why I don't have permission to replace the file.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by quksilver
    When I try it, I get the error, "CV.exe could not be placed on this device. You do not have permission to create this item."

Actually, hmm, that makes me think I need to disable UAC for a second... (Or figure out how to copy as an administrator.)

Edit: Nope, that wasn't it. Same error with UAC on or off, and my account does have admin privileges. Still not sure why I don't have permission to replace the file.
    Ok, I was able to copy the files over using Total Commander. Thanks for the launcher app!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast