Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: My Motorla Q9H review:

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

My Motorla Q9H review:

After using the Rogers Retail Motorola Q9h for several weeks off and on as my main line to run back to back reviews of it and the V9 I'd like to post up the Q9H review with the V9 to follow.

Quick Specs:
    the Moto Q9H brings to the table:

Quadband EDGE 850/900/1800/1900
    Dualband HSDPA 850/1900 3.6MBPS
    Windows Mobile 6
    GPS
    Bluetooth with A2DP
    Music Player
    2.0 Mpix camera/flash
    MicroSD memory card slot
    Full QWERTY keyboard
    Dual speaker speakerphone / Ringtone
    Dedicated Keys: Speakerphone / Camera / Music / PHonebook / Calendar

Reception
    The Q9H runs on the Rogers Vision Network. The network is 3.5G with HSDPA for data. The network also carries voice traffic as well at the time of writing this and is fantastic.

The Q9H will camp on 3g for voice and data primarily and will drop down to GSM/EDGE if needed or if you're out of the current Vision coverage area

Natively, the Q9H does not have a network selection option if you wanted to force it to GSM/EDGE or HSDPA. This of course can be edited to be enabled but let's concentate on the retail offering.

sooo, how did the Q9h and 3G fare to the standard drive test?*

It fared quote well actually.
    with no way to force 3G/GSM i figured it's be hard to run this test but it hung onto 3G voice during the test. Rarely did i see the Q9H in EDGE/GSM mode. The 3G network for voice/data is shiny and new and at a minimum, as good as the GSM/EDGE network was. In many respects it's also better.

During the drive test i didn't notice any odd squiggles or drop outs, and this is a result of the WCDMA handoff. Being WCDMA it is a soft handoff similar to CDMA based handsets deployed by Telus / Bell. As a result of this, when in 3G for voice, there was no detectable handoff or audio blip from my end. Furthermore, the RF of the Q9H was very good and worked everywhere on the drive by test which usually stresses GSM/EDGE phones.

Being the First HSDPA voice test, it's hard for me to say if the Q9H is that good, or if it's 3G. I'll have to guess at this time that it's gonna be a bit of both. As time passes and more 3G reviews get under my belt i feel i'll be better off in judging a 3G phone's RF characteristics vs other 3G phones.

So, basically the Q9H performed well in 3G, and for the limited time i found it in GSM/EDGE it was also decent. With no ability to lock GSM i was unable to test it's GSM only performance however. My apologies for that.

*The drive by test is:
    Yonge and 16th, east on 16th to woodbine. North on woodbine to 19th. West on 19th to Yonge. North on Yonge to Bloomington. East on bloomington to Bayview. South on bayview to Stouffville sideroad. East on Stoufville sideroad to Leslie and Leslie back to the Hill.

Sound Quality
    The Q9H is fantastic. Loud and clean on both ends

incoming
    The Imcoming audio on the Q9H was fantastic. One of the better phones from what i can recall. Once you get adjusted to the sweet spot, you'll to there habitually. The Q9H has gobs of volume on 3G and GSM equally and has very little background hiss in the earpiece. I was also unable to detect any GSM transmitter buzz in the earpiece, but without being able to force GSM i couldn't test this exclusively. In 3G there was no buzz at all being that it's a WCDMA phone.

Outgoing
    The Outgoing audio on the Q9H was equally good. The Mic Hole itself is just under the spacebar and as a result it's fairly close to your mouth. This help cut out a lot of unwanted background noise. However, when in noisier enviroments the quality of the audio suffers a touch. It's still quite easy to maintain the conversation and truth be told, not one of my callers complained.

Speakerphone
    Because of the sheer width of the Q9H Motorola was able to place 2 speakers down at the bottom for ringtones / speakerphone usage. As a result of this the Q9H actually has a half decent speakerphone that you will use. I used it at the office all the time, and many of my callers had no complaints of the audio quality when i went into speakerphone mode. So if you're looking for a half decent speakerphone for office use, here it is.

Camera
    The Camera is a 2.0Mpix unit
    Nothing really out of the box here, It's there if you need it and takes a half decent pic for what it is. You can take a pic and then send it via MMS or Email so a device like this would be ideal for people in the field that would want to take a pic of something and send that via email instantly. Real Estate and Construction comes to mind for situations like that.

The Q9h does not have a front facing camera for Video calls however,
    not that big a deal but if you wanted to know, there it is.

Connectivity
    The Q9H features your standard assortment of connectivity options

USB
    The Cable for the Q9H is a MicroUSB cable, which will soon be industry standard. The cable is packaged in the box, and the Q9H also comes with a USB to MicroUSB adaptor so you can use all your existing USB cables

Sync
    The Q9H uses Microsofts ActiveSync. The program comes in the box or can be easily downloaded from Microsoft directly. It will sync contacts/notes/calendar/Bookmarks as well and can be customized to sync what you want, when you want.

The Q9H can also be set up to pull email via pop3/Imap or set up with exchange servers. It's all very painless and easy to do, and if you have in IT guy, even better!

bluetooth
    The Q9H also features bluetooth, with A2DP.
    Seeing that the Q9H also features a dedicated music button, and can sync with Windows Media player, you have quite a decent media machine

The bluetooth can also be used for your standard headset/car kit connection as well.

External Memory
    The Q9H accepts MicroSD memory cards. I ran a 1 gig in the unit with no issues at all. The Q9H also accessed the card pretty fast and loaded up my music in seconds. No issues there.

GPS
    the Q9H features an onaboard GPS receiver, contratary to initial thoughts to the contrary. I didn't get into actual 3rd party programs to much to be honest. It's that time of year when I keep getting interruped from playing with my toys by these things called, Customers

Regardles I DL'ed google maps, and it worked withought a hitch. It takes quite a while to acquire GPS satelites though. I found on average it took from 1 to 3 minutes to get lock on. Once lock on was achieved it mainted the connection admirably though, and held on.

Aesthetics
    The Q9H has a very serious business look to it.
    I personally feel the look is much improved over the origilan Moto Q.

Screen
    You're presented with a very clean front display that's capable of 240x320 resolution. it's also mounted sideways, which is logical for a unit that you'll be doing email/messaging and web browing on.

Keyboard
    The keyboard is logically laid out, and the keys work well. There is a bit of alearning curve to get used to the domed feel of the keys, but after that it's pretty much your standard small PDA based keypad. Does the job, but can't really match a full sized keyboard, obviously

Battery
    The battery life on the Q9H was the fly in the ointment. Under my usual usage of wap / calls and Email I'd be lucky to get a half day. I never bothered putting the Q9H on the exchange server but if I had i'm sure i'd have experienced even worse battery performance.

Motorola does provide a CLA in the package though, so that's a nice quick fix.

My recomendation for those of you who are heavy with your usages is to seriously consider and invest in the Motorla Q9H extended battery. This should be available soon through the Rogers retail channel but it's already available through other retail stores / online

SMS
    The SMS on the Q9H is pretty straightforward. It's very easy if you're using 2 hands, but if you're trying to 1 hand it while driving then it becomes quite defficult. This has long been an issue with me. QWERTY PDA's are not very condusive to 1 handed operation.

regardless, SMS is handled very easily on this unit and the Q9H is quite capable.

PRO's
    *Solid construction
    *Decent Keyboard
    *HSDPA 3.6 Device
    *Windows Media 6
    *Convenient, logical quick keys calendar / contacts / music / camera / speakerphone
    *Wicked Loud speakerphone
    *Clear speakerphone, actually usuable
    *Loud earpiece
    *Nice screen
    *GPS on board
    *3G network / voice quality
    *CLA packaged in with unit
    *Easy to Sync with MS ActiveSync
    *Windows Media player

CON's
    *No front cam for video calling (.5 of a con really)
    *Hard to 1 hand it
    *No way to natively force GSM / EDGE access
    *Battery life
    *GPS receiver takes a while to get SEEG

Device(s)
    BlackBerry BOLD
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless Canada ●
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    nice done once again
    treatz is pro.
    thanks for taking the time out of your busy schedule to get these reviews out to us!

Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    thanks for the review. i'm about to switch to sprint and pick up their moto q9c. so this was very helpful for me.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    No more number ratings?

Device(s)
    Galaxy Note II, Galaxy Note, iPhone 4, Nexus S
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Thank you Treatz. That was a great review. I had picked up my unit around October 20th and have been quite impressed. I did notice that after a few full charge and discharge cycles, the battery life improves significantly. I was able to get 24 hours and that included web use, text, email, and a little GPS. The first thing I did was order a spare battery from the US, just in case. I agree with your assessment of this device. Kudos!

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Torontonian
    Thank you Treatz. That was a great review. I had picked up my unit around October 20th and have been quite impressed. I did notice that after a few full charge and discharge cycles, the battery life improves significantly. I was able to get 24 hours and that included web use, text, email, and a little GPS. The first thing I did was order a spare battery from the US, just in case. I agree with your assessment of this device. Kudos!
    Thanks
    My usage doesn't represent the average though, i'd consider myself extreme. Regardless, i was able to get a half day. I'm sure the extended battery would net me more though.

Device(s)
    Personal: Motorola Razr2 V9 (Azusa)
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Excellent review Treatz!

Thanks for the option and time you put into it; I can't wait to read the V9 review.

Cheers!

K

Device(s)
    Bold 9900
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Thanks a lot treatz ! I am about to get this phone from Rogers and i'm coming from Bell to do it

This detailed review has helped my decision.

Feedback Score
    Fair review I do wish the battery last longer but I have ordered the extended battery.

I did set mine up to receive exchange mail.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4[S]
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular(#1) Verizon(crap) Tmobile(#2)
    Feedback Score
    Good job treatz!! Sadly I had to return my Q9h because it developed dust under the screen just like my original Q. I even checked the store display model and could see dust was starting to build up on that one too. Could you hold up your Q9h into the direct sunlight and tell me if there is any dust trapped under your screen? Thanks for the great review and wonderful pictures, it was a real treat!!

Device(s)
    Google Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    What is a CLA?

Also, does anyone here have pictures of a Q9h with an extended battery?
    List of dumb posts:

Originally Posted by Whit
    I will be requesting the Nokia 6682. I am done with smart(dumb)phones.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt_Strider
    What is a CLA?
    Cigarette Lighter Adapter ie. Car Charger

Also, does anyone here have pictures of a Q9h with an extended battery?
    Fugly

Feedback Score
    Nice review - but I would add lack of wifi as MAJOR con...

Device(s)
    A land line...
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Canada
    Feedback Score
    Am I to understand that Rogers has disabled "Start>System Tools> Settings>Phone>More>Networks>Band Selection" ?

Device(s)
    Galaxy Note II, Galaxy Note, iPhone 4, Nexus S
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by viking5000
    Nice review - but I would add lack of wifi as MAJOR con...
    What's the point of Wi-Fi when you have HSDPA coverage all over instead of just isolated hot-spots?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast