Page 17 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast

Thread: New Data options:

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Ok, so TotalDistinction gave he his info playing around with DataTeam the option is there but still not able to be attached to accounts

I've filed a trouble ticket and will check back in a week or so

Phones
    iPhone 3G
    N95-1
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Treatz
    Ok, so TotalDistinction gave he his info playing around with DataTeam the option is there but still not able to be attached to accounts

Thanks, I look fwd to hearing how this goes, and hopefully I can add it soon!!

Phone
    Iphone 5 iphone 4s Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier
    ROGERS
    Feedback Score

good work...i really want this plan....hope it will be available really soon

Phones
    Bold 9900
    HTC Snap
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile, Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphora
    The essential take home message here is:
    a.) GSM does not provide the differentiator, or competitive advantage that you think. Essentially the two large CDMA providers in Canada provide competitive services. Therefore regardless of the technology mix no one company can have a monopoly. Moreover the voice technology employed by Telus / Bell is better quality than that of GSM (up until recently with UMTS / HSDPA that is).
    If GSM isn't a competitive advantage for Rogers, then how do you explain how they have 50% of the market for new activations? Rogers has more new activations on post paid than Bell and Telus combined.

Tell me exactly why customers are choosing Rogers over telus and bell? Let's go back to before the unlimited data plans being offered by telus and bell, since those are the numbers that were reported so far. Rogers pricing is slightly higher than Telus/Bell, Rogers customer service is percieved to be worse than Telus, network coverage/call quality is also percieved to be worse than Telus/Bell. So, exactly how is Rogers signing up all these customers???

the answer is GSM. 1)People are starting to understand GSM is a world standard. 2)Handsets are better on GSM. It allows flexibility to choose even those not offered by Rogers (Ex. iphone, N95, N82, RIZR, all SE, the list goes on).

People are getting more saavy when it comes to wireless. Mostly driven by new devices like the iphone.

Quote Originally Posted by lcohen999
    The market spoke and the carriers, all be-it slowly, listened.
    it's ALBEIT... ya.. that's an actual word.. not all be it.

Phones
    Bold
    Treo Pro (Retired)
    HTC Tilt (Retired)
    Carriers
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Please, consumers are idiots.

There are a very TINY number of people who go to Rogers for GSM.

Most people want a phone that works. You are basing everything on assumption with no fact.

Rogers has good advertising and a good setup with their bundles. Bell had a lot of bad PR in the last two years and that hurt their activations so people stayed away. Telus holds their own with cool phones.

Don't forget Rogers also absorbed Fido which changes the stats around a little bit.

and Albeit, lets not get nitpicky or anything

Phone
    HTC DZ
    Carrier
    Belly laugh
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mech9t5
    If GSM isn't a competitive advantage for Rogers, then how do you explain how they have 50% of the market for new activations? Rogers has more new activations on post paid than Bell and Telus combined.

Tell me exactly why customers are choosing Rogers over telus and bell? Let's go back to before the unlimited data plans being offered by telus and bell, since those are the numbers that were reported so far. Rogers pricing is slightly higher than Telus/Bell, Rogers customer service is percieved to be worse than Telus, network coverage/call quality is also percieved to be worse than Telus/Bell. So, exactly how is Rogers signing up all these customers???

the answer is GSM. 1)People are starting to understand GSM is a world standard. 2)Handsets are better on GSM. It allows flexibility to choose even those not offered by Rogers (Ex. iphone, N95, N82, RIZR, all SE, the list goes on).

People are getting more saavy when it comes to wireless. Mostly driven by new devices like the iphone.

it's ALBEIT... ya.. that's an actual word.. not all be it.
    This is a specious thesis. And perhaps if you are going to correct peoples diction you should know how to spell "perceived".

First the average Canadian doesn't know anything about phones; they don't care either. Rogers likely is the market leader for a number of reasons.
    1.) They have always been a national competitor, compared to Bell / Telus having regional strengths and roots.
    2.) Fido had a lot of subscribers.
    3.) They have been the only credible alternative to the regional ILEC monopoly.
    etc..

Phones
    Bold 9900
    HTC Snap
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphora
    This is a specious thesis. And perhaps if you are going to correct peoples diction you should know how to spell "perceived".

First the average Canadian doesn't know anything about phones; they don't care either. Rogers likely is the market leader for a number of reasons.
    1.) They have always been a national competitor, compared to Bell / Telus having regional strengths and roots.
    2.) Fido had a lot of subscribers.
    3.) They have been the only credible alternative to the regional ILEC monopoly.
    etc..
    fyi, typos are not the same as using wrong words. if i don't tell people, how are they going to learn? besides, no need to proof read in a forum for typos. and yes, i know the rule for spelling ie vs ei and i also know the exceptions.... so don't try to act smart by pointing out somone's typos. if i've used a word incorrectly then fell free to correct me.

first, you keep saying the average canadain doesn't know anything about phones and doesn't care about them. you are so wrong. that kind of thinking was correct about 5 years ago. the trend has clearly shifted in the candian wireless industry. canadians are looking for more feature rich phones. many consumers are using BB devices rather than traditional fones. consumers may not know the technical differences, but they know what they want.

1. they want the phones with features and ones that look cool
    2. they know they have to goto rogers for phones that will work all over the world
    3. they know rogers allows them to choose phones outside of the rogers line up

they don't care and may not even know that it is GSM allowing them to fulfil the 3 needs above... those 3 points are competitive advantages.

next, so what if fido had a ******** of subs? So what if rogers has always been national? I clearly stated that rogers has more net NEW activatoins than telus or bell. Fido's previous subscribers have nothing to do with that and all three are national now.

finally, being the alternative to the incumbant doesn't automatically make them money... they have to provide a better service or better pricing. none of which rogers does. so, explain again why gsm is not a competitive advantage for rogers? btw, don't think that i am trying to say it is the only reason rogers is winning. I am saying this is definately ONE reason. you cannot discount this fact.

Phones
    Bold 9900
    HTC Snap
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Most people want a phone that works. You are basing everything on assumption with no fact.
    no fact? where's your facts saying consumers only want a phone that works? i have enough "facts". the competitive landscape has shifted in the last 3-5 years. I've worked in the industry long enough to see the shift and the upcoming trends

people don't just want a phone that works because the networks have been developed and the technology for mobile devices has improved so much... a phoen that works is a GIVEN.

we are at the NEXT STAGE in the canaidan wireless industry. Consumers are demanding MORE than a phone that just works. and like i said in the previous post, consumers may not know the technology behind the phoens or the network... and they may not care... but they do know what they want.

otherwise, why would people be willing to pay 600-650 for a USED iphone? not only geeks and nerds are buying BBs and HTCs or Hiptops. RIM is targeting the consumer market with their BBs. the curve and the pearl were the first and they have been successful... look at the numbers from the last qtr report. those 2 phones were specifically targetted to consumers and they included a camera on PURPOSE. that's what consumers WANT.

feature rich phones that allow for quicker sms, and email access. with the unlimited browsing, it will go even further

Phones
    Bold
    Treo Pro (Retired)
    HTC Tilt (Retired)
    Carriers
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I think the iphone is a great example of why consumers are idiots.

You have a phone, heavily hyped, marked and pushed which is, for the most part inferior to a million phones out there.

Please wants flashy lights and a bit of magic with their meal. That is what the iphone is. To put it another way, depending on which story you believe, the reason Rogers has yet to sell the TyTn II is due to lackluster sales of the original TyTn. Why....it is a nitch product even though it is vastly more superior in almost every way to the iphone (of course that is just my opinion).

I have met people who would buy a GSM phone because it works around the world. When asked the next time they plan on leaving the country, or if they will in the next year or two, the answer is an i dunno, or not at all.

"Its the marketing, stupid" nothing more.

(I'm not calling you stupid, just using a phrase, just in case you missed it)

and besides, Rogers was #2 until they bought Fido

Phones
    Bold
    Treo Pro (Retired)
    HTC Tilt (Retired)
    Carriers
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I think this post:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...92#post8972192

is a shining example of the level of knowledge that most people have about different cell phone technologies.

Phones
    Bold 9900
    HTC Snap
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    I think this post:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...92#post8972192

is a shining example of the level of knowledge that most people have about different cell phone technologies.
    you seem to be ignoring what I've been saying. where did i say the consumer knows the difference between GSM and CDMA? Where did i say it isn't marketing that is making rogers successful?

i can say it again. consumers now want more sophisticated phones and there is no argument that GSM allows a more variety of phones.

Phone
    Iphone 5 iphone 4s Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier
    ROGERS
    Feedback Score

Any news on the trouble ticket or if its available to add on our account?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Ok.. I believe it's finally been resolved and has officially relaunched to be available as per my info.

to recap:

$65
    (base Monthly Service Fee)
    1 GB

$75
    2 GB

$85
    3 GB

$100
    5 GB
    $0.03 per additional MB

Available on a monthly, 12, 24 or 36-month service agreement term. Voice calls are $1 per minute (if a voice plan is not subscribed to separately).

Phones
    iPhone 3G
    N95-1
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Sweet, if I pm my details can you add it for me?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunn27
    Sweet, if I pm my details can you add it for me?
    Sure, i need an account to try anywy

Page 17 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast