Thread: How does Sprint's upgrade policy work ?

Phone
    Blackberry Curve
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score

How does Sprint's upgrade policy work ?

I have had Sprint service for a little over two and a half years now on my first line, and for a wear and a half on my second line. For christmas, i want to upgrade my second line to a blackberry pearl, but i'm not entirely sure how the upgrade system works. When i first activated the service, i purchased a sanyo 7500, which Sprint replaced for free with an 8400 in august when it stopped working. I was told that it did not count as an upgrade, and that i am still eligible for 75 off any phone of my choice. Now my question -- retail for a pearl is 500 then there's a 200 instant rebate, and a 100 mail in rebate, which would drop the price to 200. If i upgrade, will i recieve 75 off from the price after rebates [[ 200, leaving the phone at 125 ]] or from the original price [[ 500, costing me 425 ]] ? Sorry if my question is unclear.

Feedback Score
    It all stacks, and if you're more than two years in, you actually get $150 off. So if all the numbers you posted are correct, the phone will be 500 - 150 - 200 - 100 = $50. I don't know why you're seeing an instant rebate that high though; the pricing information we have at my store says the instant rebate is $50, and the final price of the phone after rebates and upgrade discounts is $199.99.

Edit: actually, I think I do know why you're seeing that price: are you looking at the phone online? If so, it includes the $150 upgrade credit in that pricing. So yeah, $199.99 is what you're looking at.

Feedback Score
    Actually Geoff is incorrect.

You said you want to upgrade your SECOND LINE where you're only eligible for $75 off.

Its $75 off FULL RETAIL price.

When you're eligible for $150 off, it means you're eligible for the Discount price shown on the Website or instores. Meaning, $150 off FULL RETAIL, plus any additional Instant savings Sprint is offering at the time, Plus any additional Mail in Rebates Sprint is offering at the time.

You do not get discounts off the discount price.

Had the phone for 12-21 months... You're eligible for $75 off Full retail
    Had the phone for 22+ months, you're eligible for the lowest discount price being offered.

Thats it!
    https://manage.sprintpcs.com/special...bateWelcome.do

Feedback Score
    Oh snax, you know what? You're right; I guess I misread your post and skipped the part where you have two lines and the one you're upgrading you've only had for a year and a half. Forget what I said; you'll get $75 knocked off the retail price, you probably won't qualify for the instant rebate, and you probably *will* get the mail-in rebate still, so you'll end up paying 500 - 75 - 100 = $325. That's why it's generally best to wait the full twenty-two months.

Phones
    Sprint EVO
    Sprint EVO 4G
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    to be honest with you i do not upgrade from sprint directly...you can normally buy the phones new on ebay for cheaper or equall to the discount sprint gives you and then you dont have to resign a contract. just my 2 sense

Phone
    Blackberry Curve
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by skantman69
    to be honest with you i do not upgrade from sprint directly...you can normally buy the phones new on ebay for cheaper or equall to the discount sprint gives you and then you dont have to resign a contract. just my 2 sense

i considered that option, but my ebay account was recently terminated for reasons unknown, so that's no longer possible. but thanks everyone, i guess i'll just wait until april when my two years are up and get it cheaper =]

Carrier
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    Wait and save is always the best option
    Contributing Editor at pocketnow.com

Geoff.tv

www.twitter.com/ultimo119
    The Simulcast

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by geoff.scottcomm
    Oh snax, you know what? You're right; I guess I misread your post and skipped the part where you have two lines and the one you're upgrading you've only had for a year and a half. Forget what I said; you'll get $75 knocked off the retail price, you probably won't qualify for the instant rebate, and you probably *will* get the mail-in rebate still, so you'll end up paying 500 - 75 - 100 = $325. That's why it's generally best to wait the full twenty-two months.
    You don't get the Mail In Rebate if you're only eligible for the $75 off.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fusiclover
    You don't get the Mail In Rebate if you're only eligible for the $75 off.
    Sometimes you do.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by geoff.scottcomm
    Sometimes you do.

Nope. You don't.