Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How to transfer files to and frm LG VX5400

Feedback Score
    http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/s...G&model=VX5400
    Go here and scroll to the bottom of the page and you will see the usb cable listed under other and it is $4.97
    Bob

Feedback Score
    Here's where I got mine:

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...=34%26fsoo%3D1

less than $10 to my door!

Just gotta know what to search for

Phones
    e815/e816
    XV6700 Pocket PC (WiFi)
    VX1000 Voyager
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote:
    "Originally Posted by C DM
    In case you need drivers, you can obtain them at http://www.vzam.net/vcastmusic/Step2.aspx?maker=LG."

Link goes to a blank menu to select from. If you back up, there are some LG phones, no VX5400 (anybody know what this phone's guts are in terms of selecting another from the menu that WILL work for the VX 5400?)

Thanks!
    05/09 finally retiring the e815, upgraded to the ultimate NON DATA PLAN phone Verizon has - the LG VX1000 Voyager Keeping the XV6700 for WiFi hot-spots - Again, NO DATA PLAN Thank you.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brokerdelete
    Quote:
    "Originally Posted by C DM
    In case you need drivers, you can obtain them at http://www.vzam.net/vcastmusic/Step2.aspx?maker=LG."

Link goes to a blank menu to select from. If you back up, there are some LG phones, no VX5400 (anybody know what this phone's guts are in terms of selecting another from the menu that WILL work for the VX 5400?)

Thanks!
    Looks like VZW changed their directory/file structure on that site and the appropriate link would now be http://www.vzam.net/vcastmusic/Step2...nufacturerID=1 -- if you look, pretty much all of the phones link the same file, so it's very likely there's one LG driver that supports pretty much all of them (and most likely even ones that aren't specifically listed).

Feedback Score
    I too have a problem with my lg vx5400. I can't down load pictures from my phone to BitPim. I have installed a data cable and driver and BitPim recognizes my phone and let me up load my phone book from my previous phone. Any suggesations anyone??

Feedback Score
    i have an lg vx5400 and i can't even get bitpim to detect/recognize my phone... i know the connection is good because my phone now charges when i connect it to the computer.... and ive downloaded drivers from the verizion site and they dont' change anything..... any help please?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jblieves
    i have an lg vx5400 and i can't even get bitpim to detect/recognize my phone... i know the connection is good because my phone now charges when i connect it to the computer.... and ive downloaded drivers from the verizion site and they dont' change anything..... any help please?
    Have you tried the latest version of BitPim, in case that might make a difference?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C DM
    Have you tried the latest version of BitPim, in case that might make a difference?
    i just downloaded the august 4th one... and it still doesn't work... maybe someone can give me the link to the acual driver for the lg vx5400.... im not sure if that will work either though.... ive tried ones for other phones on verizion.com but they didn't seem to work... =(

Feedback Score
    sorry for the double post, but can anyone help me? ^ please

Feedback Score
    Got bluetooth to work just fine had to use com10, also had to install LGVX5400BTDIAG but after that it worked like a dream.

Phones
    e815/e816
    XV6700 Pocket PC (WiFi)
    VX1000 Voyager
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Anybody figure out how to use it as a modem yet?

Wrong thread maybe, but ya BITPIM works, BLUETOOTH works, but cannot get it to work as a modem.

Feedback Score

Lgvx5400btdiag

Quote Originally Posted by KingKannibal
    Got bluetooth to work just fine had to use com10, also had to install LGVX5400BTDIAG but after that it worked like a dream.
    What is LGVX5400BTDIAG and where did you get it? I can get bluetooth to work but I am unable to write to the phone's filesystem.

Feedback Score
    Hey everybody--I thought I would post a reply here as, even though it's an old thread, it was very helpful to me and I have some info to add.

I got my USB cable on eBay for $1.65 "delivered" from seller: accstation. I downloaded Bitpim 1.0.6. I also downloaded the LG driver from the Verizon website from the link posted earlier in this thread. The VX5400 still is not on Verizon's list of phones for which a driver is available but, as someone else posted, they all appear to point to the same file, so I just picked the first phone on the display.

Both Bitpim and the driver installed in XP Prof with no problems.

I started Bitpim and clicked on the icon to "Get phone data" and it recognized the phone with no problem. Initially I had checked all of the boxes of data to download and let 'er rip. It looked like it was working, but eventually failed with the message, "Phone is not responding while trying to manipulate the file system. See the help file for troubleshooting tips."

I thought that possibly the problem was occurring in one area of the file system, so I decided to try again but only check one box at a time. This seemed to work as I was able to then download my Phonebook successfully! However, when I tried to download the Wallpaper in order to get my pictures I continually received the above error message.

The tips and troubleshooting didn't seem to reveal anything about this problem, so I checked the "Edit Settings" part of Bitpim. I did the "Browse" ports thing and noted that there were two LG related ports listed:

• LG CDMA USB Modem (on port 4)

• LG CDMA USB Serial Port (on port 5)

Bitpim seemed to be using the second port on the list. I thought that maybe if I changed the setting to the first port (the modem port) that it might work better. Well--it didn't work at all. In fact, I had to use Task Manager to kill Bitpim and start again. After killing the Bitpim process I decided to restart the computer as I had not done that after initially installing Bitpim and the LG driver.

After restarting the computer I launched Bitpim and changed the port back to the second selection (serial port). I then clicked on the icon to get phone data, checked the Wallpaper box, and clicked OK. By golly it worked! There were all of my images displayed and I didn't receive any error messages at all!

The only thing I can think of is that maybe restarting the computer was what made the difference. As mentioned, I had fiddled with the port settings, but I doubt that that made the difference as I put them back to the original settings, but it is a possibility. I've been a programmer for over 20 years and I know that bugs in the code can have some weird, unintended, unexpected effects. It is possible that changing the port setting to the other port and saving the setting, then changing it right back to the original port and saving the setting fixed the problem. I've seen weird things like that happen before.

In any case, I know that Bitpim can download at least the phonebook and pictures as I have done it personally--and this was with just the USB cable, not the Bluetooth method referenced by others. I didn't have any calender, memo, ringtones, or other stuff on my phone, so I can't say whether there are any weird problems downloading those.

I think I would make the recommendation that one restarts their computer right after installing Bitpim and the driver (before actually trying to use Bitpim). That might circumvent the problem I described above.

Hopefully, uploading this stuff to my new (replacement) VX5400 will work OK. If there are any issues I will post again.

I hope this helps out anyone else who might have experienced similar problems.

Feedback Score
    I tried all of your suggestions and I still can't get my pics off the phone. Every other option works, except for the wallpaper option. Any other ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by robkay
    Hey everybody--I thought I would post a reply here as, even though it's an old thread, it was very helpful to me and I have some info to add.

I got my USB cable on eBay for $1.65 "delivered" from seller: accstation. I downloaded Bitpim 1.0.6. I also downloaded the LG driver from the Verizon website from the link posted earlier in this thread. The VX5400 still is not on Verizon's list of phones for which a driver is available but, as someone else posted, they all appear to point to the same file, so I just picked the first phone on the display.

Both Bitpim and the driver installed in XP Prof with no problems.

I started Bitpim and clicked on the icon to "Get phone data" and it recognized the phone with no problem. Initially I had checked all of the boxes of data to download and let 'er rip. It looked like it was working, but eventually failed with the message, "Phone is not responding while trying to manipulate the file system. See the help file for troubleshooting tips."

I thought that possibly the problem was occurring in one area of the file system, so I decided to try again but only check one box at a time. This seemed to work as I was able to then download my Phonebook successfully! However, when I tried to download the Wallpaper in order to get my pictures I continually received the above error message.

The tips and troubleshooting didn't seem to reveal anything about this problem, so I checked the "Edit Settings" part of Bitpim. I did the "Browse" ports thing and noted that there were two LG related ports listed:

• LG CDMA USB Modem (on port 4)

• LG CDMA USB Serial Port (on port 5)

Bitpim seemed to be using the second port on the list. I thought that maybe if I changed the setting to the first port (the modem port) that it might work better. Well--it didn't work at all. In fact, I had to use Task Manager to kill Bitpim and start again. After killing the Bitpim process I decided to restart the computer as I had not done that after initially installing Bitpim and the LG driver.

After restarting the computer I launched Bitpim and changed the port back to the second selection (serial port). I then clicked on the icon to get phone data, checked the Wallpaper box, and clicked OK. By golly it worked! There were all of my images displayed and I didn't receive any error messages at all!

The only thing I can think of is that maybe restarting the computer was what made the difference. As mentioned, I had fiddled with the port settings, but I doubt that that made the difference as I put them back to the original settings, but it is a possibility. I've been a programmer for over 20 years and I know that bugs in the code can have some weird, unintended, unexpected effects. It is possible that changing the port setting to the other port and saving the setting, then changing it right back to the original port and saving the setting fixed the problem. I've seen weird things like that happen before.

In any case, I know that Bitpim can download at least the phonebook and pictures as I have done it personally--and this was with just the USB cable, not the Bluetooth method referenced by others. I didn't have any calender, memo, ringtones, or other stuff on my phone, so I can't say whether there are any weird problems downloading those.

I think I would make the recommendation that one restarts their computer right after installing Bitpim and the driver (before actually trying to use Bitpim). That might circumvent the problem I described above.

Hopefully, uploading this stuff to my new (replacement) VX5400 will work OK. If there are any issues I will post again.

I hope this helps out anyone else who might have experienced similar problems.

Feedback Score
    Hey, Toomey. Just now happened to read your message and, yes, I do have a few more comments!

Just a couple weeks ago I had another occasion to d/l some pics from the phone and, wouldn't you know it, I had problems again. Just could NOT get them to d/l without the error message I mentioned above. Very frustrating as I thought I had the problem solved. I'm still not sure I know what the actual problem is, but I eventually got them to d/l and here are my notes:

I watched the "Log" in Bitpim as the download proceeded and noted a couple things. It appears that the download proceeds to send files to the computer, but stalls on certain picture files and eventually times out. Even though the entire process seems to fail, some of the pictures actually do get downloaded into Bitpim's cache on disk--you would not realize this without watching the log progress. The pictures can be viewed with a graphics program if the .jpg extension is added to the file names (see notes below on file system and names).

Also, by viewing the Log I was able to see what file the download stalled on. I deleted that file from the phone then ran the download again and it proceeded further. I ended up having to delete a couple pics from the phone to keep the d/l progressing.

Another thing that happened was that the download failed again on the very last file to be downloaded. What I did was shoot off a couple junk pictures, then try the download again and it worked (may have had to delete one of the junk pictures I shot off, can’t remember for sure.) Apparently, fiddling with the file system in this way helps. Maybe there is an indexing bug in the file system of either the phone, or Bitpim, I don't know--just guessing.

Notes on Bitpim file system and pictures

The Bitpim folder location is: My Documents\Bitpim
    The folder location does not appear to be changeable. (Although maybe in some config type file..)

The pictures are in the "wallpaper" folder.
    The picture files as listed in the Bitpim folder appear to have filenames applied by Bitpim with no file extension. These filenames do not match the .jpg filenames as displayed in the Bitpim application itself. Those filenames are numerical also (though different names) and do have a .jpg file extension. Also displayed is the resolution (640x480) and the file size.

In "this" folder I manually added the .jpg file extension so I could open the files in my photo editing program.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast