Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Suggestions anyone?

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    You obviously didn't read the whole thread. Maybe you didn't notice... but this IS the suggestions thread. It is the thread which the members are encouraged to help make the forum what they want it to be. At no time was I trying to insinuate a right way or a wrong way. I was responding to the post above mine. To explain further, the "problem" is with moving threads to and from the carrier forums into the windows mobile or HTC forums, because people like to frequent only one or the other in some cases. This is fine. At no point was I saying that what people are doing is a problem.

To be quite honest, I can't believe you would say I am trying to impose order. I moderate both the windows mobile and HTC forums, both of which you frequent. How often do you see me "imposing order"? Or stamping my personal bias on either of the forums? I have a very hands off approach to moderating and I hope that most of the members here can agree. If someone has something to say or differ with me on, I encourage them to talk to me about it. If there is a problem with flaming or trolling and it gets reported, I take care of it. How many of the forums on HoFo even have suggestions threads like HTC and WM do? Not many. I think you need to take a look at what this whole thread is about instead of just the last response. It is about you, the members making the community into what you want it. Its about good natured discussion of what can and can't be done, and whether or not things are feasible. It is an open dialog between the staff and everyone who frequents these boards. Before you judge me, all I ask is that you get the whole picture. Then if you still have a problem with the way things are being handled, please let me know and I'll be happy to try and accommodate you.

-Jay
    Last edited by Wrangler3383; 05-28-2008 at 06:15 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by turley
    As a moderator, I know there's a natural inclination to stamp ones personal biases on a forum, and one way that manifests itself is by imposing an artificial classification scheme, one that probably won't reflect how members actually use the resource. That temptation must be resisted.
    Excellent point, which is why I support Wrangler3383 in his current system for moderation, which is completely void of bias.

In essence, Wrangler has taken the most democratic approach: It rests on me and you, the users, to figure out where a thread best belongs, and on Wrangler, the moderator, to correct us when we're wrong. For the time being, the current forum structure succeeds extremely well -- and I have no doubt a majority of HoFo members will agree -- so Wranger has left it more or less unchanged. After all, no one complains about what's currently working, but people will raise hell if things are changed to system that they don't like!

Wrangler is open to ideas that make sense and are agreed upon by a majority of the users here. Personally, I like how things currently are and feel it's a natural fit for both experienced members and new users. You might feel different, so please let us know in detail why and how you think changes can be made for the better. In the meantime, Wrangler is doing an awesome job around these parts.

Cheers,
    J.
    Note: If you need support for your HTC device, please contact HTC Customer Support. I am not a support technician and will not be able to help in most instances.

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score

Sub forums per device

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but how about sub forums (thread) for each device? By the nature of these forums currently 'stuff' and 'topics' are all over the place. So essentially one thread for the Touch, one for the Kaiser, one for the Excalibur, one for the Diamond, etc....

Too much to ask? Maybe...thanks for considering.
    Last edited by footmatix; 05-31-2008 at 12:58 PM.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I wouldn't mind the idea. It might take a little more work because devices change so often, but it might be able to be arranged. My primary concern would be to make sure a majority of the members here want the "xda-developers" sort of look to their forum. Thoughts anyone?

Device(s)
    Iphone 3Gs 32 gig
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrangler3383
    I wouldn't mind the idea. It might take a little more work because devices change so often, but it might be able to be arranged. My primary concern would be to make sure a majority of the members here want the "xda-developers" sort of look to their forum. Thoughts anyone?

I have been surfing and moderating on forums since they basically existed. I regularly surf lots of forums for other electronic devices, many of which have sub-forums for each model of that device. Personally I prefer having sub-forums for each model of device it makes it more easier for the end user to find exactly what they are looking for. Like you stated cell phone devices do change very rapidly. If I were to arrange it I would have it that each of the new models of the devices have there own sub-forum then all the older models are grouped together. Say right now giving the P4000, Touch there own separate forums. Then say after a month or two of the Diamond and Raphael being out merge the P4000, Touch, S720 together. That is if you were going to do it with sub-forums and do it right away. If you do it that type of way you may be best to wait until the new HTC devices come out later this year, rather than having to sort threw the current forum and move threads to the appropriate forums.

Feedback Score
    Damn... I wanted to say something, but looking at that photo on first page where dude put a photo of his HTC Tilt has me looking for information on it. I'll be back.
    Been away a few years learning to create REAL Residual Income and have been doing quite nicely!!!

Device(s)
    Main Use: iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I mostly hang out in the WM Pro Forum, and I am happy with the way things are there. Occasionally if I don't find what I'm looking for there, I'll check the HTC forum. Sure, sometimes there is overlap. That's bound to happen since HTC dominates the WM Pro devices right now. I'm sure we'll start to see some overlap in the Samsung and SE forums as they start to release more WM devices.

I think things are fine the way they are for now. Maybe you could have a link to the HTC forum from the WM forum if you wanted "HTC device specific" posts to go there?
    CURRENT ITEMS FOR SALE:

My feedback thread

Feedback Score
    Hi folks,

Just wanted to let you know that Jay and I were chatting, and it looks like I'm going to be picking up some moderator duties in the HTC forum (in addition to my duties in the Windows Mobile Professional and Windows Mobile Standard forums). Jay will continue to contribute, though he's also focused a lot these days on broader, supervisor stuff for the board.

Please don't hesitate to PM me, flag threads, etc., if you have needs, questions, or concerns.

Thanks,
    Urban Strata (Jeff)

Carrier(s)
    Still stuck on Verizon 3G
    Feedback Score
    i think there should be an official thread/sticky for the vogue....

Carrier(s)
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    HTC ozone section

Device(s)
    HTC Hero
    Carrier(s)
    nextel/sprint
    Feedback Score
    well i may make a suggestion, if you just have the main manufactorer then have subs for the phones with the same o.s may make a difference bcause no matter the carrier usually everyone with the same o.s from the same manufactorer has the same issues. (example)[ HTC/Androids] or [Motorola/Iden].etc.. maybe that would work?? only a suggestion....

Feedback Score
    With the new EVO, have an EVO only forum

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    damn man this thread is OLD! LMAO you brought it back from dead
    Current Devices:
    • Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - Rooted
    • Asus MeMo 10" Tablet - Rooted

Feedback Score
    Hello.. i am pansy pansy from USA..suggest me some skins for my phone.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2