Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How to replace LCD screen on LG Chocolate vx8550?

Feedback Score

How to replace LCD screen on LG Chocolate vx8550?

Does anybody know how to replace the screen in a LG Chocolate vx8550? My wife recently broke the screen on hers by dropping it. The phone works fine otherwise and I don't won't to buy a whole new phone just because of the screen. I saw new screens for sale on ebay and was hoping to just change the screen myself.

Phones
    LG VX8550 Chocolate II
    Motorola Razr V3c
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I recently bought a replacement screen on eBay. The link to instructions was for replacing the screen on a different model, and they were useless to me. I am trying to get the seller to either send me instructions or refund my purchase price. I've been searching for instructions for a week with no luck. If you find something, please contact me.

Feedback Score
    I attempted to take it apart without any instructions. I ended up ruining it so it looks like I will be buying a new one now. Here is what I learned. Hopefully this will help others from suffering the same fate as myself.

The short story is that you have to take every screw in the phone out and completely dissasemble it in order to change the screen! This is not for the faint of heart.

The front face plate is just glued down and can be pried up.

There are little posts on the outer edge on the face plate so be careful not to damage too many of these.

The next part is where I screwed up so don't do this part. The screen is plugged into the PCB on the back of the wheel pad. The trick is that you need to remove the frame that goes around the edge which is what is holding the PCB in place. It is held in place by 6 screws. The heads are on the side facing the dialing pad making all but the two at the top accessible. The two at the top are easily taken out if you slide the phone open and remove the tape at the top corners. The problem is the other 4 screws. Here is a picture of it apart with the frame flipped up and the wheel pad turned over. The screen is plugged into the white part next to my thumb.

Here is what I did wrong. In an attempt to get to the bottom two screws I forced the phone to slide down past the end of the dialing pad. This exposed the screws however it destroyed the ribbon cable connecting the back part of the phone to the front.

You can see the tear in the cable directly in the middle of the picture.
    I was able to get to the two middle screws by prying the phone apart enough to get a screwdriver in at an angle. I think that this tweaked the phone so it didn't slide as well so I don't recomend it.

Following are my instructions on properly taking it apart so you don't ruin your phone like I did. In order to get the last 4 screws holding the frame on you need to take the dialing pad all apart to remove some screws holding the slider on so you can seperate the front and back parts of the phone exposing the final 4 screws on the frame.

In order to get the back plate off the phone you need to remove 4 screws.

There are two under the battery and two to the left and right of the speaker which are revealed by prying out the plugs. Once the screws are out you can pry the back off. Pay careful attention to the buttons on the sides because at this point they will fall out. I started by prying the top and then pulling it apart working my way to the bottom. The bottom came off a little hard but I just kept prying and it came apart.

You now have to remove the circuit board from the dialing pad to get access to all the screws holding the slider in place. There are a couple of tabs on the left holding it in place. Prying at these tabs should make it come up.

I would be careful at this point as this is the board that the ribbon cable is attached to that connects the front to the back. You won't be able to completely take the board off because of the cable however you should be able to move it out of the way enough to have access to the last 4 screws. There are two silver ones and two black ones under pieces of tape (note that in the pic there is no tape because I have already removed it).

Now you should be able to pull the sliding unit away from the dialing pad. This should give you access to the last 4 screws so you can removed the frame surrounding the screen. Once you get the frame off you need to pry the screen up and flip over the wheel pad so you can unplug the screen.

At this point it should only be a matter of plugging in the new screen and reassembling the phone.

I hope this helps. The instructions aren't perfect because I worked from various points of dissasembly however it gives you a good guide to go by. Good luck to anybody who attempts this!

Phones
    LG VX8100 (retired but missed)
    LG VX8550 (for my sweet tooth)
    PM me for BREW help.
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Sorry I wasn't here sooner.

I wish I had read your post sooner...

All cellphones have an FCC identifier. And most of them have very well documented photos, diagrams and specs.

You can look up pretty much any FCC ID.

I looked up the ID for the 8550 (BEJVX8550) and here is a link to the detailed inner photos of the phone. (You need Adobe to view this page)

Click here!

Also, if you are interested in seeing EVERYTHING the FCC has for the 8550, then go here:

Click here!
    Last edited by G0DM0DE; 12-23-2007 at 11:04 AM. Reason: More info...

Phones
    LG VX8550 Chocolate II
    Motorola Razr V3c
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Brianda78, thanks for the post. I replaced the LCD this morning, and the phone works fine now. It was actually very easy - the tip I needed was that you can pry the front plate off to get to the LCD. If you hold the phone screen-side down you can see four small notches that are about the size of the flat blade of a jewelers screwdriver. I GENTLY pulled the faceplate up at the four notches until the faceplate released. At that point, the only connection between the faceplate assembly (faceplate and all the electronic elements) and the phone was the ribbon connector that you show in your photo. I gently pushed down on the ring to remove the plastic faceplate from the electronics, exposing both the front and back of the LCD. I pulled back on the piece of clear (light blue tinted) plastic tape to allow me to remove the LCD. It took a little tugging to get it out, but it did come free. Then I plugged in the new LCD and pushed down on the tape to secure it. Reassembling just required repositioning the electronics properly in the plastic faceplate and snapping the faceplate assembly back on. I put back the battery and voila! - a working phone.

If you hadn't shown me how to snap off the faceplate assembly, I never could have fixed the phone. THANKS!!!

Phones
    Motorola Timeport 8767
    Palm Treo 700p
    LG VX8550 Chocolate
    Carriers
    4: LG VX7000 BK
    & Sprint PCS)
    Feedback Score
    But how do you separate the two sliding halves of the phone -- the top half with the screen and the bottom half with the keyboard?

Thanks -- Vincent

Phones
    LG VX8550 Chocolate II
    Motorola Razr V3c
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Don't attempt to separate the sliding halves of the phone!

Kruskal - slide up the screen to reveal the keypad. Turn the phone over so you see the camera lens. If you look carefully at the groove that goes around the inner edge of the phone you'll see the notches I mentioned in my earlier post. VERY GENTLY use a jewelers screwdriver to pry apart the front (screen) section of the phone so you can access the LCD. Be careful not to pull them apart and break the ribbon connector.

Phones
    Motorola Timeport 8767
    Palm Treo 700p
    LG VX8550 Chocolate
    Carriers
    & Sprint PCS)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpatterson98@co
    Kruskal - slide up the screen to reveal the keypad. Turn the phone over so you see the camera lens. If you look carefully at the groove that goes around the inner edge of the phone you'll see the notches I mentioned in my earlier post. VERY GENTLY use a jewelers screwdriver to pry apart the front (screen) section of the phone so you can access the LCD. Be careful not to pull them apart and break the ribbon connector.
    I only see two notches. You mentioned four. It looks to me that there are probably another two hidden by the other sliding half.

So I will proceed putting a little screwdriver into the only two slots I can access. We'll see how it goes.

BTW, do you know that your post is being used as the official instructions by eBay sellers of replacement screens?

Many thanks -- Vincent

Phones
    Motorola Timeport 8767
    Palm Treo 700p
    LG VX8550 Chocolate
    Carriers
    & Sprint PCS)
    Feedback Score
    OK, I did it and the new screen is totally dead -- the old one's back light worked. I think the problem might be a connector that comes off the ribbon. It is supposed to connect with a chip. I saw nothing that would hold it onto the chip. It was as though it was just positioned exactly and held on by pressure. Could that be the case?

Did you have any trouble with that? Any suggestions?

Thanks -- Vincent

Phones
    Motorola Timeport 8767
    Palm Treo 700p
    LG VX8550 Chocolate
    Carriers
    & Sprint PCS)
    Feedback Score
    SOLVED! Turns out that the connector will snap into place if you get it in the right position and push a bit hard. Put the phone together and now the lights in the screen half work, but the screen was still black. Took it apart again and positioned the screen more carefully and closed it again.

I now have a working phone for only $20 for a new screen from eBay. Not sure I'd recommend this to anyone else, but we now know that it's been done twice successfully.

Thanks again -- Vincent
    Last edited by Kruskal; 01-16-2008 at 04:15 PM.

Phones
    LG VX8550 Chocolate II
    Motorola Razr V3c
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I remember having to push pretty firmly to get the connector from the LCD to make a good connection also. Glad you got it working too. My post is the official instructions now, huh. Sounds like the blind leading the blind to me.

Phone
    Lg vx8550
    Feedback Score

vx8550 lcd replacement

looking to replace the lcd screen? If so DO NOT try to pry the front face off as posted elsewhere.
    1st - remove the 4 screws that hold the rear housing (2 under the battery an 2 are located on the top of the phone under plugs on either side of the speaker)
    pry from the side until you can it open alittle an then youll have to work the top and bottom of the face until you can pop it off.
    if the side buttons fall out its not a problem they're easy to put back in after.

2nd - you need to remove the chrome screws (4) and (2) black screws that are under the board that hold the rear plate.This will allow you to move the plate and access the remaining screws.

3rd - remove the 6 screws that hold the front face plate then use the 4 slots on the side of the face plate to gently pry the plate apart. Be sure to use extra care at the top and bottom of the cover as they seem to be the area that is the tightest.

4th - now that you have the face plate off you will see the orange strip that goes from the lcd screen and into the board . Remove the tape if any and lift up on the thin blue clip that holds the strip in. You should be able to slide the lcd right out.

5th - reverse the process to reassemble.

there are some photos on this site to help you if you need something to look at but it is really straight forward.

IMPORTANT you should buy a screwdriver set with the right size phillipshead bits ,you can pick them up at radio shack for $15.00 .They will save you time and headaches ,you do not want to strip any of these screws.

Phones
    Motorola Timeport 8767
    Palm Treo 700p
    LG VX8550 Chocolate
    Carriers
    & Sprint PCS)
    Feedback Score
    What's wrong with prying off the face-plate? Worked for me and it seems a lot easier than going in the other way.

Vincent

Phone
    Lg vx8550
    Feedback Score
    I attempted to pry the front face plate off first. But it is screwed together with 6 screws you can see the 2 at the top and the remaining 4 are covered by the bottom slide,they are visible if you look from the side . So on my phone i couldn't pry it off without removing the screws. maybe our phones are not constructed the same if you could remove yours without removing the screws.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for all these instructions. I had a really hard time getting the coverplate off but I used a credit card to slide around the housing. When actually working with the ribbon there is a black bar at the end of the housing for the cable. If you click the black bar up the cable releases easily. Put the new cable in and then clip the black bar back down and it will pull the cable into place to be held properly.
    Sorry if my description isn't very good.

OK after all that I somehow pinched the ribbon cable that goes from the wheel assembly to the board so I've now clobbered everything I did.
    Anybody know where to find the wheel assembly board or a new ribbon cable?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast