Thread: Can I turn off the voice mail?

Feedback Score

Question Can I turn off the voice mail?

If someone leave me a voice mail, costs me airtime?

Can I turn off voice mail?

Carriers
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    No is the answer to both questions.

Checking your voicemail over the phone will count against your prepaid minutes. You can check your voicemail for free by calling your wireless number from a landline and pressing * to login when voicemail answers.

Phones
    iPhone 5
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    if someone leaves u just the voicemail and u dont check it it does not charge u airtime, but if u call ur voicemail 2 check the message it does charge u, and u cant take of voicemail on virgin, actually ive never tried so i dotn know about that!

Feedback Score
    The message left does not cost you anything but it will cost you airtime to listen and remove it.

Disabling voice mail is an interesting question. Sorry, I don't know the answer but am interested in knowing if its possible.

At one point I was getting a lot of voice messages that were actually a wrong number. I guess my number was very close to some tree service company in my area. It became so annoying that I decided to record a voice message that basically said "you have the wrong number don't bother leaving a message". Anyone I know knows the message is a goof but anyone dialing the wrong number knows better.

If it can't be disabled maybe you could record a similar message.

Phones
    Chaser is my main, Rumor 2 as my backup...Samsung M535, the Arc, the Snapper, The Vox 8610
    Motorola v60i, Nokia 5180i (both retired after 2 years)
    Nokia 1221, Motorola v170
    Carriers
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyBeans
    The message left does not cost you anything but it will cost you airtime to listen and remove it.

Disabling voice mail is an interesting question. Sorry, I don't know the answer but am interested in knowing if its possible.

At one point I was getting a lot of voice messages that were actually a wrong number. I guess my number was very close to some tree service company in my area. It became so annoying that I decided to record a voice message that basically said "you have the wrong number don't bother leaving a message". Anyone I know knows the message is a goof but anyone dialing the wrong number knows better.

If it can't be disabled maybe you could record a similar message.

I did the same thing! I kept getting some idiot calling telling me I won some contest that I supposedly entered in Florida. (I live in NY, and haven't been to Florida in 10 years, let alone enter a contest!) I finally changed my outgoing message to say: "If this is so and so from the contest in Florida, please don't leave a message. I didn't enter your contest. Future calls will be reported as a nuisance to the proper authorities". Amazingly, it stopped right away. Even though I have NO IDEA who the 'proper authorities' would be that I mentioned. My bluff...I win. LOL... But there really SHOULD be an option that allows you to turn off the voicemail...but that's JMHO...

Happy New Year!!

Phones
    Nokia 6555
    Virgin Mobile Red Slice
    VM Audiovox 8610
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    no your not charged for getting a voice mail and your money/balance/min. on ur cell phone wont be used if you check your voicemail from a landline phone

i asked vm thru email about the voicemail box and they said they could turn off voicemail if you call their reps (my mom lost her password and they wont tell you it so if you lose it your out of luck - WRITE DOWN YOUR PASSWORD, lol)
    "I reject your reality and substitute it for my own."

My Red Slice

GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!

my mutiply (personal blog)

Feedback Score
    Thanks a lot ! Buddies.

Phones
    Lg G2X (Me)
    Samsung Flight -Girlfriend
    Nokia 2720 - Mom
    Carriers
    T-Mobile Monthly
    T-Mobile FlexPay
    Feedback Score
    It is possible to turn off voice mail. I e-mailed them asking them to turn it off for me (I am deaf, what do I need it for?) and less than an hour later I got a reply saying that they had turned it off and if I ever wanted it turned back on again to e-mail them.
    T-Mobile’s new marketing campaign for Vermont and Western New Hampshire:
    “Try T-Mobile’s blazingly fast GPRS data network. We’re faster than iDEN and TDMA combined!”

Feedback Score
    really...?... then i have an email to send. this is great ive had my virgin mobile number for about 5 and 1/2 years and i still get tons of calls to confirm doctors appointments.

Phone
    Treo 755p
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Just make your voicemail message: "DON'T LEAVE ME A VOICEMAIL!"

That should solve everything!

Phone
    Samsung A157
    Carrier
    LycaMobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by moonbaby4885
    . . .

i asked vm thru email about the voicemail box and they said they could turn off voicemail if you call their reps (my mom lost her password and they wont tell you it so if you lose it your out of luck - WRITE DOWN YOUR PASSWORD, lol)
    If you are referring to the password on your voicemail box, here (from Virgin Mobile USA help) is how you can retrieve it:
    What if I forget my pass code?

In order to install your new Voicemail greeting you will need your Account PIN (vKey) and your voicemail passcode (voicemail PIN #). Keep in mind that they might not be the same number.

Since your passcode is private, we can't just give it out. But you can find it yourself by following these steps:
    1. Press and hold the 1 key on your phone (the 2-dot button on the Vox) - this will call into the voicemail system.
    2. If you have saved messages, you will need to press the "*" button (this takes you to the voicemail main menu), now go to step #4.
    3. If you do not have any saved messages do not press "*" (this will hang up the call) just go to step #4.
    4. Once at the voicemail main menu, press "3" for "personal options."
    5. Next press "2" for "administrative options."
    6. Then press "1" to turn your passcode (voicemail PIN #) option ON or OFF. This feature allows you to bypass entering your passcode when checking new messages. By turning this feature off, you'll have your passcode read to you - write it down!
    - If your passcode was OFF, then press "1" twice to turn it ON and OFF again.
    - If your passcode was ON then press "1" to turn it OFF.
    7. Once again, when your passcode option is turned OFF, your Voicemail PIN will be repeated to you. Write this down. This is what you'll need to order your Voice Greeting.
    8. If you want, you can then turn your passcode back ON by pressing "2" again, then press "1". This will allow you to check your voicemail messages without entering the passcode in the future.

If you're really stuck, call Virgin Mobile At Your Service at 1-888-322-1122, or dial *VM from your Virgin Mobile phone, and one of our advisors will help you out.

Feedback Score
    I pretended that I didn't know my passcode and tried the steps above but I got stopped dead in my tracks right after step#1 which says to "Press and hold the 1 key on your phone". When I do this it immediately asks me to enter my passcode but hey idk what it that' why I'm using this procedure :-)

Am I missing something? Did I not follow the steps correctly?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    You can call virgin and ask them to disable the voice mailbox. I had them do that on my phone. Some friends get annoyed that they can't leave a message but I find retrieving the voicemail a waste of time and money. Nine times out of ten you are going to call the person back anyways.

Feedback Score
    Thanks again.