Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Port landline number to cell phone?

Phone
    iPhone 5s
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

Port landline number to cell phone?

My folks have decided that their stupid $60/month in landline payments are pointless since they never use it, and no one ever calls them on it except telemarketers or wrong numbers.

Is it possible for them to port it to a cell phone? I'm thinking that a cheap pay-as-you-go type thing would be easiest since they can just add minutes as they need them and pay only a few bucks a month.

They have AT&T as the landline carrier, if it matters.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Yes, it is completely possible to port most landline numbers to a cellular carrier. Reversing the process and porting back to a landline carrier would be a bigger challenge.

The port-in process is the same as for a wireless-to-wireless port. They will need to provide the name, address, and account number, along with any authentication information (account password or PIN, etc) from the original service provider, and should NOT discontinue their landline service first. The landline service will disconnect on its own after the port completes.

Landline-to-wireless ports usually take considerably longer than wireless-to-wireless ports, which are usually almost instant, and almost always under a few hours. Landline-to-wireless ports take anywhere from a few days to a couple of weeks (generally around five days).

It's normal for the landline to continue to give a dialtone and make outgoing calls for a couple days after the number is active on the wireless phone. It will eventually disconnect.

Make sure they don't have anything that relies on landline service before porting out (satellite or digital cable boxes that need to be connected to a phone line, a home security system, or DSL service).

Alexandria, VA, where congresscritters go to behave badly
    Carrier
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Yes, it's possible, but in practice, it can be painful. When I had it done, the porting department at the carrier to which I wanted the number ported was much less practiced in porting landline numbers than in porting numbers from other wireless carriers. It took a few conference calls with the old and new carriers to make it happen. If the number hadn't been one that I supremely wanted to keep (212-nnn-nn00), I might have given up.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Whom
    Yes, it's possible, but in practice, it can be painful. When I had it done, the porting department at the carrier to which I wanted the number ported was much less practiced in porting landline numbers than in porting numbers from other wireless carriers. It took a few conference calls with the old and new carriers to make it happen. If the number hadn't been one that I supremely wanted to keep (212-nnn-nn00), I might have given up.
    The process is actually the same. Sounds like just blatant incompetence on the part of your new carrier.

Phones
    v557
    USB720
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I can vouch for the incompetence of carriers. Just got my Landline number ported to a cell phone. Landline was Bellsouth (i.e., AT&T). Cell service is Cingular (i.e., AT&T). Took them 2 weeks to complete. I would hate to see how long it would have been with different companies.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ajvp
    I can vouch for the incompetence of carriers. Just got my Landline number ported to a cell phone. Landline was Bellsouth (i.e., AT&T). Cell service is Cingular (i.e., AT&T). Took them 2 weeks to complete. I would hate to see how long it would have been with different companies.
    Not at all unheardof for a landline-to-wireless port. "Five to ten business days" is the standard timeframe for these ports, and I've never had one go through in less than five days.

Wireless-to-wireless is almost instant, but anything involving the landline companies takes forever and a day.

Phones
    Motorola DROiD
    LG enV2 VX9100 (Loved it, glitches and all)
    LG VX8100 (Killed the front LCD)
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I am porting my landline number from Time Warner Cable to Verizon Wireless. I put in the port request last night 2/19/09. We will see how long it takes, hopefully it won't be too long.
    2/21/10 - Motorola DROiD:

Phones
    HTC MyTouch 3G
    HTC Diamond
    HTC TP2
    Carriers
    Sprint PCS
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    my experience is 5-7 days and you need to keep on top of them to prod the process along...

Phones
    Motorola DROiD
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Keep on top of which end?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by flybabytina
    Keep on top of which end?
    Keep on top of Verizon, as they are the "winning" carrier. It's almost never necessary to contact your previous service provider when doing an LNP, unless it's to get an account number or something to give to the new carrier. Make all contact pertaining to the port request to your new carrier, and they should fix you up.

In my experience, I have seen wireline to wireless ports take upwards of a month, although recently they have gotten better. It might only take a week, as a previous poster stated.

Phones
    Motorola DROiD
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Ok, thank you very much. I will make sure to keep bugging Verizon

Feedback Score
    Ok, thank you very much. I will make sure to keep bugging Verizon
    You're quite welcome, good luck with the port!

Phones
    N86, N82 (backup)
    Sold Nokia >> , N97,N900, E72, 5800, E71, N73, N80
    TMobile SDA
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Truphone Anywhere
    Feedback Score
    I am getting ready to move my landline (cox) to a prepaid AT&T phone. I have a phone already, but I need to buy another sim. I just want to confirm the steps I am going to take.

Buy a sim from ebay (I wont activate it myself, since I dont want a number assigned)
    Call AT&T and tell them I want to port my landline number to this sim.
    Leave my landline active.
    Wait 2 weeks for this process to finish, calling AT&T every few days to keep on top of them.
    At what point will I need to add funds to the Sim?

We have had magic jack for 6 months now, and it seems to work for what we need. But they dont have number porting. I also have Gizmo on my cell phone for when I travel. I can save over $40 a month by getting rid of my cox landline. (now, if I could just change my number, without giving it to my mother in law, life would be perfect)

Phones
    Motorola DROiD
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I am porting my landline number from Time Warner Cable to Verizon Wireless. I put in the port request last night 2/19/09. We will see how long it takes, hopefully it won't be too long.
    I called today (3/2/09) and I the rep. told me that my port will take place on Tuesday night/Wednesday morning

Phones
    N86, N82 (backup)
    Sold Nokia >> , N97,N900, E72, 5800, E71, N73, N80
    TMobile SDA
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Truphone Anywhere
    Feedback Score
    To answer my own post. For future reference.
    1) I purchased an ATT Go phone from Target ($20)
    2) I had to activate the sim, get a new phone number, add funds to the Phone (I added $25)
    3) Call ATT number porting dept 888-898-7685. Told them I want to port my number to the new go phone account I just set up. You will need your landline account number and PIN.
    4) After a few minutes of them taking down my info, the process was started. I need to call back after 72 business hours to verify that the process has been confirmed by Cox Communications. After that it will take 7-10 days to complete
    5) In 90 days when my balance is close to expiring, I will reload with $100 from ePhonecard.com. They usually have discounts (the $25 reload I purchase already had a 12% discount) So $100 reload will cost me $88 with no tax and it wont expire for 1 year.
    I can now keep my landline number, until I find a cheaper, permanent solution.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast