Phones
    Nexus One!
    Pharos Traveler 137 unlocked $500 dollar dud
    SE TM 506 unlocked,debranded. Old faithful
    Carriers
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score

Net 10 GSM?? Unlocked phones..

Is Net 10 GSM and whose towers do they use?

If it is GSM can you use unlocked phones? Their website is not very informative. Thanks..

Phone
    Nokia 2720
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Virgin
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wjpdcct

1.Is Net 10 GSM
    2.and whose towers do they use?
    3. If it is GSM can you use unlocked phones?
    4. Their website is not very informative. Thanks..
    1. Net10 is GSM. In the future?
    2. Net10 has roaming agreements with many companies ; you could use almost any tower.
    3. You must use Net10 branded phones on Net10. (You can unbrand a Net10 phone - but it doesn't work with Net10 anymore.)
    4. They want your money.
    Regards

Phones
    Nexus One!
    Pharos Traveler 137 unlocked $500 dollar dud
    SE TM 506 unlocked,debranded. Old faithful
    Carriers
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for filling me in Frontier..

Phones
    Nokia 5310 w/Jabra BT250V handsfree, Nokia 6010, Nokia 6030
    Nokia 6310i, Nokia 8310 (Europe)
    Carrier
    T-Mobile US, Fido, T-Mobile NL, Orange IL
    Feedback Score
    Is Net 10 GSM and whose towers do they use?

If it is GSM can you use unlocked phones? Their website is not very informative. Thanks..
    Net10 uses proprietary firmware. You cannot use anything other than a Net10 phone with Net10. You cannot even use a TracFone handset.
    Moderator yahoogroups forum T-Mobile-US http://groups.yahoo.com/group/T-Mobile-US

Phones
    Samsung T201G
    Motorola W376
    BlackBerry 8703e
    Carriers
    AT&T (Tracfone / Net10)
    Feedback Score
    Net 10 recently started offering some CDMA handsets in non-GSM areas, but does not sell them if a GSM alternative provider has towers in the area and is willing to do business with them. They do this because they get a much lower per-minute deal from AT&T (their preferred provider) and T-Mobile than from Alltel, Verizon or USCC.

I will second the proprietary firmware, you must have one of their phones and their SIM cards. I hear the phones are even very difficult to unlock via normal methods.

Phones
    T-Mobile Pearl 8100
    VM Arc
    VM Marbl (I own 2 but one died :( )
    Carriers
    T-mobile
    Net10
    Feedback Score
    Thanks from me also I have been wondering about that unlocking thing for a while.
    I hate moderators

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mharris127
    Net 10 recently started offering some CDMA handsets in non-GSM areas, but does not sell them if a GSM alternative provider has towers in the area and is willing to do business with them. They do this because they get a much lower per-minute deal from AT&T (their preferred provider) and T-Mobile than from Alltel, Verizon or USCC.
    thanks for the insider tip, mharris127!

i went to the at&t site and looked for places that DIDN'T have coverage, then chose a city there(Kingman, AZ)

i see in this link there is a phone available there with net 10 almost *exactly* what i wanted.

question:

is there a way i can rip that stupid antenna off without breaking the phone so i can have one similar to lg pm 225?
    Last edited by defaultabuser; 02-24-2008 at 12:19 PM. Reason: fogot to close tag

Phone
    LG 800G - LG 500G
    Carrier
    Tracfone - Net10
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by defaultabuser
    thanks for the insider tip, mharris127!

i went to the at&t site and looked for places that DIDN'T have coverage, then chose a city there(Kingman, AZ)

i see in this link there is a phone available there with net 10 almost *exactly* what i wanted.

question:

is there a way i can rip that stupid antenna off without breaking the phone so i can have one similar to lg pm 225?
    The Kingman, AZ zip shows GSM phones. The link also shows GSM4 in the URL (AT&T).

Try 96130 for a CDMA only zip. There are only two CDMA phones available: the Kyocera K126c and the LG 200c

Feedback Score
    i did not know the that phone was gsm it was similar to the other, sorry for the mistake.

i'd still like to know about the antenna if anyone knows how to go about doing that. if i sat down with that lg cg225 in my pocket it would poke me all the time and drive me crazy.

Phone
    LG 800G - LG 500G
    Carrier
    Tracfone - Net10
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by defaultabuser
    i did not know the that phone was gsm it was similar to the other, sorry for the mistake.

i'd still like to know about the antenna if anyone knows how to go about doing that. if i sat down with that lg cg225 in my pocket it would poke me all the time and drive me crazy.
    If you're looking for CDMA service instead of GSM, the LG 200c is a good choice. I have the Virgin Mobile version and it's a right decent phone.

No external antenna either!

Phone
    LG G3, Sony Xperia Z Ultra
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Simple Plan 4 lines (unlimited on one and 2.5GB sharing on another) $130 | 4.5GB MBB
    Feedback Score
    net10 is FAKE GSM (means NO unlocked phones)
    worse thing is: the phone offers is 99999th world model
    get tracfone CDMA instead

Phones
    Nokia 5310 w/Jabra BT250V handsfree, Nokia 6010, Nokia 6030
    Nokia 6310i, Nokia 8310 (Europe)
    Carrier
    T-Mobile US, Fido, T-Mobile NL, Orange IL
    Feedback Score

Fake GSM

Isn't that silly. There's no such thing as "fake" GSM. It's either GSM or it isn't. Net10 and TracFone have proprietary firmware which prevents you from using those handsets on other networks. If you really want to use their low end handsets on another network all you have to do is get the handsets flashed with generic non-proprietary firmware. It's hardly "fake" GSM since that's the technology that they use. And just FYI you cannot simply get CDMA TracFone if you don't want GSM. Sure if you want a phone with a number that's not local to you it might be possible. Also by your definition those phones also use "fake" CDMA since you cannot use those on any other CDMA networks either since the CDMA TracFones also use proprietary firmware.

Phone
    LG 800G - LG 500G
    Carrier
    Tracfone - Net10
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Telekom
    And just FYI you cannot simply get CDMA TracFone if you don't want GSM. Sure if you want a phone with a number that's not local to you it might be possible.
    It depends on where you live. Although Tracfone prefers to sell GSM phones where GSM service is available, it is possible to buy a CDMA phone from Tracfone's website and activate it with a local number if CDMA service is available locally through Alltel, Verizon or US Cellular. You may not be able to get a local number if you live in a rural and/or small town, but it's not a problem in urban areas.

Phones
    LG VX5400
    Incredible2
    LG VX5400
    Carriers
    Page Plus
    T-Mo prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Their website is not very informative. Thanks..
    It is not only "not very informative". It also has wrong information about both T-Mobile ToGo and AT&T GoPhone on it comparison charts. I have emailed them several times about the wrong info and it is still there. They claim that one has to spend $250 to get airtime at 10cents/minutes with T-Mobile and that is a lie.
    T-Mo customers can get 10cent airtime with any $100 airtime card.

Phones
    Samsung T201G
    Motorola W376
    BlackBerry 8703e
    Carriers
    AT&T (Tracfone / Net10)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob859
    It is not only "not very informative". It also has wrong information about both T-Mobile ToGo and AT&T GoPhone on it comparison charts. I have emailed them several times about the wrong info and it is still there. They claim that one has to spend $250 to get airtime at 10cents/minutes with T-Mobile and that is a lie.
    T-Mo customers can get 10cent airtime with any $100 airtime card.

That same info about T-Mo and AT&T have been there for approximately three years now. I think they just don't update because the old data makes them look better and their competitors look worse.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast