Thread: Advice sought choosing Tilt/TyTn II vs. HTC S730/Wings

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Advice sought choosing Tilt/TyTn II vs. HTC S730/Wings

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I am really torn between the two phones. I'm on T-Mo, and my MDA just died a horrible death. I'm intrigued by the T-Mo Wing, so I am looking elsewhere for a replacement.

I generally understand the hardware differences between the two (touchscreen, screen size, t9 vs none, etc), and the technical differences (RAM, etc.), but I can't wrap my head around the software differences between what comes on a PPC version vs. on a Smartphone version with WM6.

I'm looking for good email support, strong call quality, functionion BT, and I need WM5 or 6 to run how they run (which means not so smoothly).

Anyone have both, or has had both, who can offer some thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
    In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards.--Mark Twain

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Moved to the appropriate subforum.

Device(s)
    Blackberry Bold 9700
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    i dont have either, im in a similar situation as you, however, i am not torn between two phones, im just sitting and waiting for rogers to get the Kaiser/tytnII (which has slightly better features than the tilt even though they are the same basic phone)

Based on what you said, im assuming, the Wings is a "smartphone" or as it is called now, a "phone running windows mobile standard".

and i know from research that the TytnII is a pda phone which is now called a "phone running windows mobile professional"

so, i could be wrong as i didnt do research on this yet, but im assuming there MAY be some software that can only run on professional that cannot be ran on standard (again, i may be wrong).

But you can think of the comparisson like this i believe: Windows XP home, and Windows XP professional has its differences, but are basically the same OS.

i think of xp home to be a little slower and weaker, less feature rich. and i think of professional to have more "professional" features

a nice thing i seen about wings (first time i heard of it when u mentioned it) is according to the HTC europe website, the phone has a built in keypad so it actually looks like a regular phone, then an ADDITIONAL keyboard slides out. that can be a plus in some situations i believe (for example, say someone new wants to use your phone temporarily to make a call, you wont have to confuse them. or maybe you are faster at txt msging with the phone keypad rather than a small keyboard at the side of your phone.

If sources of my information is allowed (hopefully it is, i dont want to break the rules, please forgive me admins if they are not) but while searching through google, i came across a website that explained the differences between the phones.

this is the windows mobile 6 specific section:
    http://pocketpccentral.net/help/wm6_naming_scheme.htm

and this is the section i originally found:
    http://pocketpccentral.net/smartphon...phone_ppcp.htm

again, i apologize if it is against the rules to post outside links, and i dont mind if the post gets edited to remove the links. I am just trying to help out a fellow user

Device(s)
    HTC Diamond2, Samsung i8910/Omnia HD, iPhone 3G, Samsung i900 Omnia (given to fiance)
    Feedback Score
    There's a big difference between windows smartphone edition and windows pocket pc edition. I don't know about the phones but I do know my windows mobile device as I was able to use both OS. windows smartphone is a watered down version of windows mobile. You can't swap software on both device.

It's been three years since I've used by last windows smartphone device but if memory serves me right, there's no pocket office in windows smartphone edition.

Device(s)
    HTC PPC 6800
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    i have both an att tilt (tyntn) and an alltel 6800 (t-mob wing). i realy dont see to much of a difference betwen them. the both run wm6, and they are similarly laid out. i will say that i like the keyboard on the 6800 a little better, but ive only had the tilt for a day. also, the tilt seems a little snappier, but i might be imagining things. both are great phones, but i like the idea of having a quad band phone as i do a lot of traveling outside the us. hope this helps.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 4 CDMA
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    There was apparently some confusion here. The subject referenced the S730 which has a numeric keypad on the front and runs standard edition. There's also the T-Mobile Wing which is a full touch screen.