Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Nokia USA hardware repair center review - headset speaker repair

Phone
    Samsung Captivate, Nokia N-95
    Feedback Score

Nokia USA hardware repair center review - headset speaker repair

I thought I would post my brief experience with the Nokia repair facility in the U.S. First, I bought the N95-3 in November. Since day one, there was a slight rattle from the headset when listening to others talk (and also when I talk). Originally, I thought it may be because I am in a marginal reception area. Anyway, after meeting with a friend with a N95-3, I realized that my earpiece was defective.

I sent the phone for repairs to Nokia's subcontractor PALCO in Huntsville, Alabama. The procedure starts with opening a repair ticket at Nokia's website. I followed their instructions and fedexd the phone and a copy of the repair ticket. I explained specifically what the problem was. It took 7 business days before the phone came back (the phone did not show on their website for three days and it was only after I called to inquire that it finally showed up). However...The phone was not repaired. All it was listed on the repair ticket was "software upgrade." I am not sure what was upgraded because the firmware in the phone is still the same as before.

I called Nokia USA. The service representative first thought that it was normal because of phone reception. However, when I said that my friend's phone did not do that, the representative basically stated that my only option was to return it back for repairs. No apologies, no offer to provide free shipping. So, I did send it back, and again, I explained detailed about the issue. This second time, I made sure to call Nokia again right after Fedex said that it arrived there. I explained again to the service representative that this is the second request for service and I would like to expedite the repair. She complied and seems to have logged my request.

The second time, the phone only stayed there for four business days. This time it was actually repaired with a new earpiece.

So, what do I think of the service so far? It is nice to talk to customer representatives here in the U.S., and not somewhere like in India. However, that does not overcome the failure of the repair center from doing its job. It was obvious that nothing was done during the first try, and I am not happy that I had to pay Fedex twice.

Suggestion to Nokia USA: Please spend some resources in your repair center. I know that you subcontract the repairs to another company. I don't know how they are compensated but it seems from reading in this forum that my situation (of sending the unit for repair more than once) is not unique. If Nokia is going to compete in the high end market (such as with the N95) then I may suggest you look at how the Iphone customers are treated. From what I read, they get a loaner during repairs. At least Nokia should provide what HP does with its computers - free shipping service.
    Last edited by visitador02; 02-02-2008 at 06:52 PM.

Phones
    Nokia N82, N900, iphone 3G
    iphone 4
    galaxy nexus
    Carriers
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    My experience with nokia repair:
    my n90 would not get out of headset mode. Thus, i either had to have the headset plugged in or the person calling me can't hear me. I sent it out to the minnesota repair center. 3 weeks pass, i look on their online tracking system, still no change in status. I called many times, and after 5 weeks i gave up and bought an n80, i could not go without an s60 phone much longer. Anyway, i called to complain on the 6th week, and the csr on the other end said they would rush me a refurbed unit. Anyway, i get this refurb, and 2 days later i get another refurb, i guess as the replacement for the one i sent in. 6 weeks to get the phone back? Normally i would call, tell them of their error and see if they want the second handset back. But, seeing as they were so disorganized, i kept both, sold them on ebay to pay for the n80.

Phones
    Nokia N82
    Nokia 6210
    Nokia 2651
    Feedback Score
    Ive had a very good experience at Nokia's service centre.
    Like jobber99, my phone would not get out of headset mode and then would not boot past the white Nokia logo screen.
    It took one day for me to get it back!
    That was great service but that was in 2004 LOL

Phones
    SII
    SII
    Carrier
    SwissCom
    Feedback Score
    Looks like, indeed, I am not alone with Nokia USA & PALCO repair.

I sent in my E71-2 phone (Just out of warranty) in for service due to being unable to hear people very well on the handset...People heard me fine but I couldn't hear them well, very muted in sound...It felt like I needed to turn the volume beyond the max it was at (Felt like it was set to low volume)...When I was on BT or speakerphone, everything was as loud as you'd expect...So it appeared that it was something internal, prehaps some sort of internal speaker/microphone...Not sure.

Sent it in to PALCO, received a $78 quote...Got the phone back a few days later and while it came along with a statement of the repair (Some sort of replaced internal speaker/microphone piece) and that it was 'working'.

Of course, the problem remains the same...Called PALCO (After a frustrating time on the phone with NOKIA USA via India) and they are apparently emailing me a shipment label (Hopefully on their dime) to send the phone back again.

We'll see but more than a bit frustrated...If things don't improve, I may be calling it quits with Nokia (Been using them for the last 5 or 6 years)

Phones
    iphone 4
    galaxy nexus
    Carriers
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    resurrection of a year and a half thread--and it still looks like PALCO is crap.
    why nokia charges $500+ for a phone, then leaves you high and dry when something goes wrong is anybody's guess
    when i buy a lexus, i expect lexus service. it's like buying a BMW and getting kia service.

Phones
    SII
    SII
    Carrier
    SwissCom
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jobber99
    resurrection of a year and a half thread--and it still looks like PALCO is crap.
    why nokia charges $500+ for a phone, then leaves you high and dry when something goes wrong is anybody's guess
    when i buy a lexus, i expect lexus service. it's like buying a BMW and getting kia service.
    Nice analogy...Part of it, I believe, has to stem from the fact that they simply have a poor presence in the US...I don't think Nokia has the same kind of poor service rep overseas, but perhaps they do.

Quality handsets but if repairs are crap, hard to make the investment...I've been an iphone hater for awhile but the prospects of having Apple stand behind their products certainly has got my attention now

Phones
    SII
    SII
    Carrier
    SwissCom
    Feedback Score
    5 days have passed since PALCO was supposed to email me a shipping label to have the phone re-repaired...Still no shipping label...Gone into dispute.

Nokia USA really dropped the ball on this

Phones
    Nokia N900
    Nokia N97
    Nokia N82
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Just to add some positive feedback into the mix, PALCO handled my N97 well, and had a replacement phone out by the next day after receiving it with a tracking number. My first and only PALCO repair experience, but it was good.

The e-mail repair support, on the other hand, was pretty standard annoying form letter replies where I had to send more than one e-mail to get the information I needed.

Phones
    SII
    SII
    Carrier
    SwissCom
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, my first experience with PALCO was largely a good one...Quick in n out...But also while still under warranty.

This last experience really has killed it..2 weeks without a phone?...Crazy

Are there alternatives for Nokia repair other than PALCO?

Phone
    HP Veer
    Carrier
    Cingular Fits You Best
    Feedback Score
    PALCO took my E71-2 for random rebooting issue everyone is talking about, and basically sent me a letter (not in those words) stating they did nothing. I sent it back a 2nd time and they replaced a random part (someone here said PALCO change the same part for a keypad issue) none of this fixed my phone. Also they could not put v300 firmware on it.

In the end after months of dealing with it, Nokia is sending me an E75 that might be refurbished.
    More Bars in More Places.

Phones
    n900
    n900
    e71
    Feedback Score
    I don't have any personal experience with the repair center, but a close friend had the same issue with his n95, crackling speaker.
    Sent it in, they sent it back without repairing it, then he sent it in again, and they fixed it.
    So when my e71 had the crackling speaker, i got a replacement speaker on ebay, $5, installed it myself.

Just think about it. I can buy that speaker for $5 and someone is making a profit on that.
    So nokia must get them for $3 or less.
    They get his phone, and don't fix it, just to save $3.
    Ridiculous.

Phones
    Samsung i500
    Nokia N93
    Blackberry 7130e
    Carriers
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I guess i will send my Nokia N86 that stopped working due to a Nokia approved over the air software update ,....I will just send the phone back to Nokia USA

How long have i been buying Nokia Phones...take a look Nokia Mobira Talkman my first cell phone 1986 $2,000.00 PREOWNED!

Phone
    HP Veer
    Carrier
    Cingular Fits You Best
    Feedback Score
    I wouldn't just ship it back to Nokia unannounced. If you really don't want to go through PALCO then call Nokia headquarters and ask for Nokia OOE.

I doubt they will do anything for you if you have not tried the repair center twice.

Phones
    Nokia N900
    Nokia n97
    Nokia e71
    Carrier
    TMO
    Feedback Score

Any recent n97 GPS/Camera repair reviews of US centers

In the US, I am thinking about sending my n97 in for warranty repair to Nokia to fix the damned GPS and scratched camera. Have their been any users that can recommend or disuade me from doing so. I hate that the GPS isn't working great, but I don't use it often and the camera hasn't really bothered me all that much. Any thoughts or reviews on the US center. I live in Chicago so I guess the Alabama center is wher I'd have to send it for repair.

Thanks in advance..

Phones
    iphone 4
    galaxy nexus
    Carriers
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    i'd get it fixed while still under warranty. you may not care about the GPS or camera, but if you re-sell it, iti's better to have a problem-free phone

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast