Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Official HTC s640 hack thread

Device(s)
    Cooked rom NexusOne
    Carrier(s)
    Videotron
    Feedback Score

Cool Official HTC s640 hack thread

Alright everyone, I know I promised this a while ago and all hehe.

Here is a nice list of tricks and edits that you can apply to the HTC S640 from telus. This will solve the low memory issues, tweak up the speed and let you enjoy this excellent phone.

Before we start, please read everything (here on/in any of the links) before you go messin with the phone. Because it’s a winmobile OS on it, its not simple to “fix” any mistakes. Also any credit goes to whoever originally wrote all this. In some cases other sites, people, threads, forums etc.. Im not going to start putting credits to he/she, this place that - some of ths stuff was strewn to the far eds of the internet. You all understand and know who you were, and thanks in advance to the people who figured this stuff out.

Any text that is using italics like so is my personal edit text. Meaning what I currently have applied to my phone. Or my personal opinion about w/e hehe.

With that being said, lets get started. Read twice, edit once!

First, you all need a registry editor. I enjoy working from my large screen on my pc, so I used the MobileRegistryEditor. It connects via the active sync and works perfectly. You can download it from (and yes its free):

http://www.breaksoft.com/Blog/Utilit...ry_Editor.aspx

Unlock the phone’s registry

Nope to answer your question! Phone registry is not unlocked by default. If you have trouble editing something in the registry – this is why you can’t do it.

Once this step is preformed, you will have 100% access to the registry for modifications.

I had a huge amount of trouble trying to find this program so I’ve saved you some time and attached it below. (It is free just obscure so no worries of copyrights blah blah)

This program was meant for Q phones, but it did/will work for our beloved s640 here.

This must be run from your phone btw.

* Make sure you have ActiveSync installed and your phone connected via USB or serial port.
    * Download AeConfig.zip
    * Unzip the file
    * Copy the "Disable Security" shortcut in "\Windows\Start Menu"
    * Copy "AEConfig.exe" and "DisableSecurity.xml" in the "Temp" folder
    * Now on your Smartphone run the shortcut "disable security" from your phones start menu
    * You should be prompted that it worked (might take a bit)

Voila registry is now unlocked.
    ((program attached))

Moving IE cache off the phone into SD card

One of the first things you should do actually, get the browsers cache off the phone.

launch IE Mobile and the push Menu / Options / Memory - then select Temporary Files and press Clear. Clear Cookies and History while you are here too.

Once it's cleared, create 3 folders on your storage card:

\Storage Card\Temp\Temporary Internet Files
    \Storage Card\Temp\Cookies
    \Storage Card\Temp\History

Once you have these created, open the registry editor and browse to HKEY_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders
    and modify the key values to match the new folders you've just created.

If you wish, you can do the same thing for email and attachments:

Create on your SD card:

\Storage Card\Mail\
    \Storage Card\Mail\Attachments\

Open the registry editor and browse to:
    HKRY_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\MAPI

Once there you need to create 2 new string values. The first should be called PropertyPath and should have a value matching the mail folder you created. The second should be called AttachPath and should have a value matchings the attachments folder you created.

So it should look like this:

PropertyPath = \Storage Card\Mail
    AttachPath = \Storage Card\Mail\Attachments

Change HomePage in IE

Silly simple, yet lacking. Lets hack it up !

HKLM \ Software \ Microsoft \ Internet Explorer \ AboutURLs

There should be about 7 entries in there. 3rd one for me was called “home” with the value default2.htm. Edit it to http://google.ca or whatever your pref is for a homepage. I will suggest google though for a homepage because they have zero clutter like yahoo. It takes about 1 sec for entire page to load off telus’s net connection vs 45-50 sec to pull all the homepage data from yahoo etc..

Disable TXT msg sent alert

Easy as pie, open the registry editor, and go to :

HKLM \ Software \ Microsoft \ Inbox

Create a new key with the name of: Settings

Then select that key and create a new String value (you should now be under the new key Settings, that you just created) and set the name as:

SMSNoSentMsg and the value as 1

Full YouTube/Google video access

Below are two links that take you through the steps to get YouTube and other flash sites working on your s640.

I put both links for everyone to read the full info (and limitations), tricks and tips that both people have to offer on the subject. I suggest reading over the condensed version first (its short) then going to full version and applying the edits.

Original http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=148801

Condensed http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/ppc-6...be-access.html

Now onto the hardcore settings

Below are the mover shaker thread links. These dive deep into the registry for most of the settings. Please don’t mess up haha

I won’t re-post them here with my edits, but rather just the title (so you can find it in the list) and my personal edit to that key.

Its really a personal preference to which you apply, but to get that memory problem under control, plus speed up the phone, I strongly suggest applying everything I listed below. As these are the ones you need to get the phone up to par. My settings below might seem odd when your reading, but remember, we are going for shaving bloat off the OS.

1. Disable menu/windows animations – on winxp its style, on a cell phone its all about speed. Kill these silly mem hogging extras. You won’t even be able to see the difference anyways

2. Increase font cache – This is the big one. If you only make one change this is it.
    I lowered this setting, because this is what the OS uses as a paging file of sorts. Mine is set at 2048. Setting it lower than this doesn’t seem to have any effect on free memory. This probably means that the OS itself is bottoming out and requires this number as a base. NOTE: lowering this seems to totally hose the pre-installed telus email push thingy. I like their program, it is really neat, but it is rarely instant like you want and tbh, I find it faster to open a browser and login to check my mail. To me more memory free is greater than some silly email program. Out it goes.

3. FileSystem cache – don’t touch this. Leave at default 0. this is mainly good for when you are usb file swapping… we are not on a ftp server transferring hundreds of gigs fo data… wait the 2 seconds more for your mp3 to transfer via cable and don’t waste resources

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...hlight=message

Other registry hacks

Turn off camera shutter noise:

HKLM \ Software \ HTC \ Camera \ Common

Change string/value SourceOfSnapSound from

\Windows\Snap.wav
    To
    \Windows\*none*

Plugins

SmartToolKit is seriously THE most amazing thing you can install on this phone. Stop reading, start downloading. I installed their SDK e-natives signed kit, not the windows one. Its worth getting just for the softkey task manager kill button.

Takes a few days to get used to, but omg! Once you do you will never ever use another layout in your life. It’s just that good! (The above imgs are screenshots taken straight from the cell phone using the toolkit!)

http://www.e-natives.com/www.php/new..._Released.html
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by t3xboar; 02-08-2008 at 01:42 AM.

Device(s)
    Cooked rom NexusOne
    Carrier(s)
    Videotron
    Feedback Score
    Untested "should work no problem" Hack

(dont have a GPS puck to test) but hack is same reg placement for nearly any phone actually.

Getting Google Maps to work with Bluetooth GPS

While trolling the net linked from someplace called qusers.com, from a user called evil247

1.) Make sure the following registry key exists:
    - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\Drivers
    - If key not present, then create it.

2.) Create the following String value under the "Drivers" key:
    CurrentDriver = My GPS Driver

3.) Make sure the following key exists:
    - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS IntermediateDriver\Drivers\My GPS Driver
    - If key not present, then create it.

4.) Create the following String values under the "My GPS Driver" key:
    InterfaceType = "COMM"
    FriendlyName = "My GPS Driver"
    CommPort = "COM1:"

(Note: This assumes your GPS is assigned to COM1:. If not, change the CommPort to the correct port number)

In theory this is prett damn smart, it would force the phone and gmaps to look someplace it wouldnt normally. Thus using the bluetooth puck.

I've ordered a gps puck from ebay, and will be testing this soon. If anyone can or is willing/comfortable enough to test this before, then by all means letus know if it works!

Device(s)
    Cooked rom NexusOne
    Carrier(s)
    Videotron
    Feedback Score
    That is the (current) extent of my hacks for the phone.

Few tips in passing tho, the built in telus email push/pull client hogs battery/resources like nobodys buisness. Its 5Mb just to run resident in memory besides needing to be installed default to phone. silly tbh. I suggest not bothering with it.

Once these hacks are complete, please remember to reboot the phone (power off then back on) to lock in the reg edits you made, and get the phone onto the new settings. You should instantly feel the difference.

The smarttoolkit needs to be manually started each reboot (which now thankfully is only needed once every 2-3 weeks and not every 5 hours) its in your program list, at th bottom in the same named folder. Open the folder and start the toolkit. then hit the end softkey to exit to the desktop and it will be applied. ((I will look into a hack t make it boot on startup))

After all of this, your phone should be booting with about 21,651Kb free memory, be able to surf and load faster pages, multitask 5-6 programs while still having 9Mb or so free mem, and be snappy when switching between them. (remember the right softkey opens the new task manager when using smarttoolkit. just hit it then press the middle button to hot swap between any multitasked program.

If there is any other hacks someone comes across for this phone, just post them here or PM me to add them into the top post with your name, that way we can keep things nice and tidy.

Enjoy!

EDIT 1 : Got a PM about this. Just wanted to mention that 99.99% of my program that I install are installed to the SD card, and not the phone's memory. The speed of the SD card is fast enough tha you will not feel the difference. so dont be fooled and used the gobs of ram on the card, keeping the phone's mem clutter free if you can =)
    Last edited by t3xboar; 02-08-2008 at 02:12 AM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4 & iPad
    Carrier(s)
    Telus Mobility
    Feedback Score
    smarttoolkit does not need to be started every time the phone is rebooted. There is a setting to have it automatically run at startup.

Thanks for all of the great info. above.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for this thread, it is definitely needed. I love this phone but the leaking memory is a big issue.

Another big issue with my phone is that it is stuck on a continuous loop trying to boot. It gets to the HTC logo and then vibrates once and then reboots. Over and over until the battery drains. I have no idea how to hard reset it. Ive read how to hard reset the 'touch', by using the little button in the hole by the usb port but I don't even think there is a button there.

Can you help me? I am stuck without a phone. I am dying.

Feedback Score
    Alright well I called the tech support and they told mme how to do it.

You turn on the unit and then press and hold the two soft keys and at the same time power down while holding the soft keys. It will then ask you if you want to restore it.

I restored it but it still doesnt boot.

Device(s)
    Cooked rom NexusOne
    Carrier(s)
    Videotron
    Feedback Score
    your welcome =)

As for your boot problem, the qustion here would be what did you modify?

I would take the battery out once at least before doing the two softey reset. This would make sure the mem is clear. Probably not needed, but I enjoy being thorough.

Place the battery back in, hold down the two softkeys and boot the phone. It should be ok then. if not the rom is scrapped somehow. (again depending what you modified in the registry)

let us know how it works when you try...

Device(s)
    Cooked rom NexusOne
    Carrier(s)
    Videotron
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by payner96
    smarttoolkit does not need to be started every time the phone is rebooted. There is a setting to have it automatically run at startup.

Thanks for all of the great info. above.

can one point me to this option's location please? Just did all the menu's but cannot find it anywhere.

Thanks

Device(s)
    Smartphone
    Carrier(s)
    Patience is a Virtue
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks for the step by step, by the way do you have any good weather software programs? All the ones I got said it was not compatable with my phone even though I picked the smartphone versions.
    Osu

Device(s)
    Cooked rom NexusOne
    Carrier(s)
    Videotron
    Feedback Score
    the weather cabs dont function with standard editon for some reason. beats the hell out of me why.

I've been looking for a good weather one too, sadly no dice yet. not even the official htc home plugin works weirdly enough.

My next project is to see how to bust apart cabs and check out what makes them tick. I'm kinda getting sick of the same thing happening. works for pro version but not for standard, when in reality its some mini program that should work on anything.

If anyone has gotten weather plugin working on the 640 please! let us know!

Device(s)
    iPhone 4 & iPad
    Carrier(s)
    Telus Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by t3xboar
    can one point me to this option's location please? Just did all the menu's but cannot find it anywhere.

Thanks
    With Smarttoolkit booted click the start menu (left soft key), go to control panel, general.

Under the first heading "Options", select "run on windows start up, show clock..."

Works great here.

Device(s)
    Cooked rom NexusOne
    Carrier(s)
    Videotron
    Feedback Score
    Thats interesting...

I dont even have the same options!

under options the only 2 things listed are the blue tabs (note the scroll bar is at the bottom nothing under that)... old version maybe? Im using the most recent from their website..

ideas?

Feedback Score
    Ok, I took the battery in and out a million times. That was the only way to shut the phone off,..to stop it from looping. And I have held the two soft keys down, to restore it, like I posted above.

I never hacked the phone, modified the registry, I never even logged into the phone. All, I had did was removed the #777 which wouldnt do anything of the sort.

I want to hack it tho, I just won't be able to get a new phone for a couple weeks since I am stuck in the bush at a camp working.

Device(s)
    Cooked rom NexusOne
    Carrier(s)
    Videotron
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tdanco
    Ok, I took the battery in and out a million times. That was the only way to shut the phone off,..to stop it from looping. And I have held the two soft keys down, to restore it, like I posted above.

I never hacked the phone, modified the registry, I never even logged into the phone. All, I had did was removed the #777 which wouldnt do anything of the sort.

I want to hack it tho, I just won't be able to get a new phone for a couple weeks since I am stuck in the bush at a camp working.

hmm sounds like 1 of two things happened then.

Either you got a bunk one. that could happen..

or the phone tried to update WM or something in the OS and failed. Im leaning more to this becasue it will conect and download to update without your knowledge. Probably telus junk tbh, as I've seen the data arrows come on fom standby mode occasionally and pull something. Presuming its a failedupdate it could have scrapped the bootloader and sadly on most cdma phones this needs to work before loading up the rest of the OS. I think a cooked rom of the touch finally circumvated this(and that was only released a few days ago or something)

Unforunatly your in the bush, but you need to get th phone toa repair shop asap, or at leat call the store adn sa look your in the bush and your phones borked. Have them at least put a note in your account (AT the store) so when you go right away upon returning hoe, they wont try to trap you in the "oh its over 14 days sir" or whatever they will feed you etc..

Thats what I would do.

Long live stupid windows eh? lol

Device(s)
    Cooked rom NexusOne
    Carrier(s)
    Videotron
    Feedback Score
    Weather Plugin/Program

Finally hit on a good weather program for the s640! (about time too ha!)

Weather Watcher Mobile is the name of it. you can grab it from here (smartphone version in case anyone had doubts and right click save as) ->
    http://www.singerscreations.com/Abou...cherMobile.asp

Its not a home screen auto "plugin" per se, but from what I have tested on it so far, holy god it doesnt need to be !

Bit confusing after you install it, yo need to manually type in your city to have it connect once and pull the data. choose the proper city from the list it gives you then, and you'll be ok after.

Once it pulls the data, you can change the day view from the menu (like the images below - those are current btw as of this posting for my city hehe. ) + all the other options.

only takes about 1.5-2Mb to keep running so not so heavy, but in all honesty who needs a second by second report of when the snowflakes will start falling

I am gonna be checking it in the morning, after work for the drive home etc.. so 1 click more to run it from the menu wont be a bother.

Enjoy, its pretty good !

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast