Thread: Help LG Rumor will not accept ring tones

Feedback Score

Question Help LG Rumor will not accept ring tones

Posting in this area as well in hopes of getting this answered, as it has been driving me nuts all day.

I was directed here from another forum and hope yall can be of some help.

I recently upgraded a phone and got the LG Rumor, with sprint as my phone service. Before this I had done a little research on how to add my own ring tones with out having to pay a huge price. With Audacity and Razorlame, so that I could turn them into MP3s then encode them to the phone. Every time I tried to send it over Via Bluetooth I was told it was a invalid file type.

After doing some searching I found a post from these boards I think, that said that if you renamed the file to .midi/.mid that it would work, tried this as well and it still comes up as invalid file type. Since then I have also tried wave, MP4 and ACC files all of which bring up the same response from my phone.

I do not have the Micro SD card in it how ever, which may be the problem but I honestly don’t know, so any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Wow I just came here to ask about custom ring tones. I had been trying my damndest to send over ring tones but no matter what I used Audacity and Razorlame, etc,etc to convert them it always came back as a invalid file type when it got to the phone.

A few questions. It seems like this will not work at all with out a micro sd card, is this true? Will it work if I am transferring via Bluetooth like I was trying with the other files. And will it work for not only standard ring tones as in I can set up the ring tone to be the standard in coming call tone, but as well as text tones and the call waiting tones?

Feedback Score
    as complicated as it seemed to be for me, it took me almost 2 months of "trying" things, thinking it was my bluetooth, etc. i feel your frustration. i hope this helps.

after you create your ringtone, save it to your desktop, don't choose to transfer it via bluetooth just yet.

after you save it to your desktop, single click on it, you have to rename it.

whatever you named it leave that alone, there will be a dot and a number, letter after it, probably 3ggp, or something like that. if you rename that to 3g2 it should work. it may say "file may become unusable" or something like that, ignore it and save.

then when you go to your bluetooth, with your phone already paired and connected, go to file transfer, a box will come up with everything you have transfered there. just single click on the ringtone you saved on the desktop, and drag and drop to the "bluetooth shared file" you just opened. it should transfer to your phone. i kept getting the same "invalid file type" message, and finally figured out it was as simple as making sure the name ended in 3g2
    hope this helps (also you know these have to be video ringtones?) ventones is the best.

ps - i always transfer using bluetooth, and don't have a card or whatever that is

Phones
    LG AX260
    Nokia 6085
    Moto Razr
    Carrier
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    That's the weird thing about the LG Scoop and LG Rumor. I have the Scoop w/ Alltel and CANNOT transfer songs to my phone and make them ringtones...will only work on the MP3 player on my phone. I need to get the USB cable so I can start using Bitpim.

Feedback Score
    The technique described here works based on the functionality of the LG Rumor to assign a video in .3g2 format as a ringtone. It was assembled using various sources of information discovered on the Internet and is collected here as a complete "howto."

Step 1: Create the ringtone

This step is the same as the previous "howto" article. The first thing you need to do is select the audio you're going to use. This could be music or a voice recording. I started with a high-quality MP3 file. You'll want to use a clip no longer than 30 seconds so you need to edit the portion of the audio that you want to use down to that length. I used Adobe Audition for this because I happened to have it but a simpler, free, online tool that will do the job is at http://www.makeownringtone.com ... once you have a clip you like, just save it to your computer in MP3 format.

Step 2: Create the video

In this step, you will create a short WMV video up to 30 seconds in length. The easiest way to do this is with Windows Movie Maker that comes free with Windows XP. Fire up Windows Movie Maker and switch to "Timeline" view. Import your MP3 from Step 1 and assign it to the audio/music layer. Make sure it begins at 0 seconds by dragging it all the way to the left.

Now drag something to the video layer. This could be a photo, a short video clip or simply a blank frame if you prefer. I have generally used a photo in my testing. Make sure it begins at 0 seconds and ends the same time as the music clip. Adjust the length by clicking and dragging the right edge of the video or image in the timeline so that it matches the audio length.

Save the resulting video as a WMV file. I use the "High quality video (small)" preset for this.

Step 3: Convert WMV to 3G2

Next, you need to covert your WMV file to the 3G2 video format used by the LG Rumor (and many other phones). The best tool I found for doing this is the Freez 3GP Video Converter from http://www.smallvideosoft.com ... it's free, simple and seems to work fine for this purpose.

Once you've downloaded and installed this tool, fire it up and load your WMV into the converter by clicking the "Add" button at the bottom left. Set the output directory to the folder you want to store your 3G2 file in. Pick "3GPP2" from the "File Format" dropdown. You can play around with the other settings to get the result you want, but I generally use the following:

Video Settings
    Video Code: MPEG4
    Resolution:176x144
    Width: 176
    Height: 220
    Video Quality: 8-Medium
    Zoom Mode: Letterbox

Audio Settings
    Audio Code: AAC-LC
    Audio Bitrate: 48kBPS
    Audio Frequency: 22050 Hz
    Channels: Mono

*Note: Width and Height differ from the resolution and work with the LetterBox setting in order to create black bands above and below your actual video/picture content when displayed on the phone. If you leave Height set to 144 you will get white bands instead and it doesn't look as good.

After you adjust the settings, click the "Convert Now!" button to save your 3G2 file.

Step 4: Copy the 3G2 file to your LG Rumor

If you're using a MicroSD card reader, remove the memory from your phone and plug it into the reader (which should be connected to your PC). If using the USB cable, connect your phone to the cable and to the PC, and when prompted by your phone select "Mass Storage" mode. If for some reason you aren't prompted, you can set the phone to "Mass Storage" mode using the Settings/Tools menu and picking "USB Mode" from the "Tools" sub-menu.

Go to "My Computer" and find the new drive that represents the memory card. Double click on the "DCIM" folder. Inside this folder you should have another folder that holds the contents of your memory card. On mine it is called "100LGDCF" but I don't know if it's the same on all phones or not. Open up this folder, this is where your MP3 music for the media player is stored and also where 3G2 files created by the built-in camcorder are stored. This is where you will copy your new ringer. Name it whatever your like, it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Step 5: Assign the 3g2 video as your ringer

Once you have copied the new ringer to your memory card, either insert the MicroSD card back into your phone or exit "Mass Storage" mode by hitting the END button and picking "Yes."

Now hit "Menu/OK" to bring up the main menu and pick "Pictures" and then "My Albums" from the sub-menu. You'll see an entry to view videos on your Memory Card, pick this. On the next screen you'll see thumbnails for any videos stored on your Memory Card. Highlite the one you want, and pick "Play" from the "Options" menu to preview it. If you like it, pick "Assign" from the "Options" menu to assign it as a ringer by clicking through the menu options that pop up on the screen.

Note that while your video was stored on the Memory Card, when you assign it as a ringer a copy will be made to the LG Rumor's internal memory. Deleting the video off the Memory Card at this point will *not* remove it from internal memory or remove it as a ringer. To completely delete it you will need to go to the Settings/Tools menu where you assign ringers and pick "Assigned Media" as the location for ringers, then highlite the one you want to get rid of and pick "Delete" from the "Options" menu.

Phone
    LG Rumor
    Carrier
    MTS
    Feedback Score
    Alright so I did what was said above, got the video to my phone BUT! My phone will not give me an option for assigning ringtones and automatically saves them as my screen saver. Any way to fix that?

Feedback Score
    I went through all the above mentioned steps as well but I'm having the same problem: when I select Assign it automatically sends saves it as my screen saver.

Feedback Score
    has anyone found a fix to this?

Phone
    LG Rumor 2
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I have a workaround. I figured it out a while back and turned my notes into an article. You have to clip the song in audacity and turn it back into an MP3 using an audacity plug-in called LAME. Then you go to a website and upload your new file (totally free) and it sends it to your Rumor.

Ya, you can't E-mail or upload via USB or bluetooth with a locked phone, but that site makes it work somehow.

Anyway, here's my article: http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...g2.html?cat=15

I wrote that after making my first ringtone, like a few months ago, and it still works great. I'd would just post it all here, but it would be against the rules of the website I submitted it to (I sold the rights to that company).

This is a lot of fun. I've made 10 different ringtones this way, but still use the first one I made.

P.S. I know I've posted this in another thread, but I see a lot of people are looking for a workaround. I promise I'm not spamming with that link. I came to this site looking for that service code, and how to use it. I heard it's 000000 but I can't get it to work on my Rumor 2

Feedback Score

Power up/down

Does anyone know how to assign a different power up/down tone other than the three defaults? Thank you in advance.