Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: premium messaging text

Carriers
    ATT,
    Feedback Score

premium messaging text

anyone else get a text today saying: "Premium Messaging to this mobile number has been blocked. Only the account owner may request a change to this setting with his/her wireless service"

I just got it out of the blue and I have no idea what it means or how I am affected.

Phones
    LG Dare
    LG enV Touch
    Palm Treo 700wx
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Hmm, I haven't got anything like this. I believe Chanlin said that PP didn't even support Premium texting.
    100th post Aug 22,2007 9:41PM
    200th post Valentine's Day 2008 10:15PM
    500th post July 22,2008 8:16PM
    --
    92% of teens would be dead if Abercrombie & Fitch said it wasn't cool to breathe.
    Put this in your signature if you are part of the 8% who would be laughing.

Phones
    C510a, W610i
    W810i
    Nokia Shade
    Carriers
    AT&T-mobile;
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    This is where you get to gloat about how wise you were to choose Page Plus.

Whereas regular text is an outrageous rip off, "premium" messaging makes regular texting look like the deal of the century.
    In the hands of the provider it is a license to clean you out. Just flat steal from you.

Example: Daily Horror Scope! Daily Stock Tips! Daily pr0n sites! I suppose anything might be possible and out there.
    Time to buy another PP refill 'cause they block that rot!

Phone
    Droid Incredible 2, LG 8370, LG 225
    Carrier
    PagePlus, STi Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I got that message yesterday, and assume it is because I tried to set up LiveJournal texting to LJ. LJ sends a message to the phone to confirm. I didn't get the message I should have gotten, so I guess that Text LJ is considered premium.
    ~Au Contrarienne~

Phone
    Samsung A650
    Carriers
    Verizon and
    Feedback Score
    We don't currently support premium messaging, but the option still exists for it to be added. As far as the messages you mentioned I am not sure what these are, we did not ever see anything like that even during the brief time that we did support premium messaging.

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    This sucks
    Last baseball season I was able to text my teams name (lets go METS!) to MLB texting service MLB-GO (65246) and find out the score, this season they are considering it Premium .
    If PP would just offer wireless internet I would not have to worry about it.
    PP also considers Amazon.com's new pricing service Premium.

At least google texting service 466453 ('GOOGLE') still works,

I could send 'score mets' to 466453

Now why isn't google service considered premium

edit:

I emailed PP this was my response...

Page Plus does not currently support premium text messaging or wireless internet at this time. We do have plans to implement these features at a future date which should be before the end of this year ; however, no concrete date for when these features will be available has been set.
    Last edited by Mikesplan10; 04-04-2008 at 05:27 PM.

Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Carriers
    VZW through PagePlus (I'm ignorant, toothless, poor and credit challenged)
    Feedback Score
    PP doesn't "consider" anything premium. If it was up to them, nothing would be considered premium. Premium text messages are when the sender sends you a text message with a condition, they get to take money out of your phone balance in exchange for the text message.

PP's systems automatically reject those conditions on a text message, and I am glad. If a message is being blocked, it is entirely because of the MLB or Amazon demanding money out of your balance, and for no other reason.

Google's texting service will always work, because it is just a normal text message. Google is not in the business of charging money for information.

I don't watch any sports, but I would prefer to use google just to know I wasn't being gouged. By the way, you should be able to open an old "score mets" text message and then choose resend, if you think it is too much to type each time. Also "quick text" should be an option on most phones.

Phones
    HTC Touch Diamond
    Novatel MiFi
    Nokia 1100b
    Carriers
    Boost CDMA
    T-Mobile2Go
    Feedback Score
    As trucphonejankie pointed out, learn what's premium SMS first before you request this "feature". You are simply asking PP to screw all of us, including yourself.

In a nut shell: premium SMS allows others to take out your money right from your phone. Especially for prepaid: once it happens, no way to get the money back and it'll happen at least each and every month for at least $10 each.

PP blocks it for very, very, very good reason. PP is the only moral wireless provider left in this greedy world.
    Please don't PM me, unless it's a private issue.

Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Carriers
    Feedback Score
    I started thinking about what you said fixup about PP being the only one that doesn't support premium SMS. My tracfone motorola v170 on ATT is one of the rare tracfones that doesn't charge for incoming SMS. Tracfones handle all of your minutes right on the phone, it isn't handled by the phone company. So I got brave and fired off "mets" to mets-go, and to my surprise I got a response saying "Mets results for 4/4, Game @ATL postponed, Next: @ATL, 4/5, 3:55pm ET. 4 Alerts Reply GET METS".

This appears to be similar to the tracfone alltel forwarding loophole where you can forward calls for free on alltel since there is no way for your tracfone to know a call was forwarded and to deduct "units" for that forwarded call.

My phone apparently didn't know that it got a premium SMS, and it only cost me 0.3 units to send the first message, and nothing to receive the response. It is also possible that the response is only a premium SMS during the game, I don't know.

If premium messaging is very important to anyone though, you might want to look into a tracfone with free incoming SMS (most don't have it). I hate carrying around a second phone with me, but I love being able to send RSS feeds and forwarded email to my phone as SMS messages, and not get charged a dime for it. It isn't bad to have a GSM phone to go with my CDMA phone either.

Edit

In fact one of the reasons I have been posting from the WAP site so often recently is because I get a free text message on my tracfone (notification by email on the forum is set to instant, and the email is forwarded by gmail to my xxxxxxxxxx@txt.att.net) and then log in through my pp/inpulse phone to respond while away from home.

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=tracfonejunkie]

Google's texting service will always work, because it is just a normal text message. Google is not in the business of charging money for information.

QUOTE]

So is MLB, MLB was just a 'normal text', just like google, I used it all last year with PP

Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Carriers
    Feedback Score
    No. The MLB and Google are all about making money, but in different ways. Google makes money through advertising in their various services (mainly google search and google mail). The free google SMS service exists to create brand loyalty so that people will use their ad supported services.

The MLB makes money by charging for tickets, different ways of watching games on tv and probably the internet, and apparently starting this year, by charging for SMS messages. The MLB doesn't have to create brand loyalty. You either like baseball or you don't, so they see premium SMS as another way to make money.

With google, you might switch to msn search (ha!), but with baseball you pretty much like MLB or you don't get to socialize about baseball at all. That is the difference between google and the MLB and why one charges for text messages and the other doesn't.

The MLB is charging you for the premium SMS, not pageplus or any other phone provider. I have no doubt that the carrier gets to keep a good chunk of the cash when it is taken from you, but the carrier does not ever in any case decide what text messages are premium and what ones aren't. The sender (MLB and Amazon in your case) put an additional price tag on the text messages they sent out, over the normal texting rate.

Please keep that in mind. PP isn't choosing what is premium. If you used the MLB texting service on PP last year, it was because the MLB was sending back normal text messages last year. This year they realized they could charge you money for those text messages, and if you didn't like it you weren't likely to start watching Japanese baseball instead. So now they are sending out premium text messages instead of free ones.

I know it is frustrating to not have a feature that you want, but trust us this is not one of them, and it is a good thing PP did to block it.

Google is now and always will be a free service.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikesplan10
    Quote Originally Posted by tracfonejunkie

So is MLB, MLB was just a 'normal text', just like google, I used it all last year with PP

Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Carriers
    Feedback Score
    I got bored and decided to see exactly what the MLB charges for these team updates, and apparently they charge $4/month (rip off) for a bunch of different subscription things, but the one you mentioned is called TeamTXT. Not a subscription, just a one time thing as a response to your text message. Here is what I found.

Is there any signup or subscription required to use TeamTXT?

You do not need to sign up to use TeamTXT, just send a message any time you want up-to-date information.

No additional subscription fees are required beyond the rates your wireless service provider charges you to send and receive text messages. Contact your service provider for more information on text messaging plans and rates.
    So apparently they are gouging for some things, but not this one you like, which makes it more interesting. My guess is that everything was free last year, but they decided to hire a premium SMS company to handle it for them so they could start charging, but left TeamTXT free. A premium SMS company naturally despises cell phone companies that block premium SMS, so they send it out as a premium SMS without a charge, a completely idiotic thing to do.

So there is no reason to be mad at PP, and only a slight reason to be mad at the MLB (unless they already know and don't care), and every reason to be mad at the premium SMS company they contracted the job out to.

I think I have learned more than I would like to know about premium SMS today.

Phones
    HTC Touch Diamond
    Novatel MiFi
    Nokia 1100b
    Carriers
    Boost CDMA
    T-Mobile2Go
    Feedback Score
    About 50% of every PSMS charge goes to the wireless provider. Why wireless providers such as Verizon do not do this thing directly but through a 3rd party? This thing is totally robbery, when people complain they can kick the ball to the 3rd party. This is why once you hit a PSMS, it is very difficult to unscrew out from it. Especially with a prepaid account, with postpaid, you can at least refuse to pay the bill. PP once enabled it for a while but soon found out it was not worth the trouble. I can ensure you: if PP enables PSMS, then all the CS persons will be dealing with complaints all the time leaving nobody to port your # etc.

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    No big deal, I love PP. I was just a little pissed when I tried to find the score of the game(shopping with my wife at the mall).

I forgot I could of got the score with google.
    And I was just screwing around with Amazon,
    but apparently you can price match with googles texting service too.
    So as long as I have google I need nothing else!

I just miss Amp'd with wireless internet, I could have just went to mlb.com and found the score.

And I don't use my phone that much to get a monthly plan with Verizon.

Phones
    HTC Touch Diamond
    Novatel MiFi
    Nokia 1100b
    Carriers
    Boost CDMA
    T-Mobile2Go
    Feedback Score
    If you're using a Razr you can enable QNC and open mlb.com and any sites. You can also add Inpulse to NAM2 (very easy, believe me), although $15 for 4 months, it is still much cheaper than a single PSMS.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast