Thread: completely new to TRACFONE ..

Feedback Score

completely new to TRACFONE ..

so bear with me ...

I have seen these cards for 60 mins for 90 days ....

so if I have a phone which doubles your mins.. it becomes 120 misn for
    90 days...

HOW do people actually get to extend there expiry time to make the
    mins last longer ?? I have seen people here say that there mins
    do not expire till 2010 ??
    please help .. any info / links helpful..
    and yes I am a noob and will be asking more questions...just trying to
    get all the facts ..
    many thanks.

Feedback Score
    The reason people have long expiration dates is because Tracfone let you stack the cards expiration date. ie your trac has a expiration date of 3/20/08, you add a 1 year card and it becomes 3/20/09. Halfway through the year you decided to buy another year card, so then the expiration becomes 3/20/10. Usually the people will wait for the two-fer specials (2 60 min cards and a phone) that tracfone offers throughout the year and that's how people get long expiration dates. I hope this helps

Feedback Score
    many thanks for the speedy response..
    so then if i add a card right now and it expires 03/30/08 ..

then I get a new card which is valid for another 30days BUT
    I add it to the phone on 03/10/08 does this mean it extends my
    expiry date of 03/30/08 to 04/30/08 ???

this would be better than having it extended from the day I add
    the card for another 30days .... but it uses my existing expiry date
    and extend it from there... am I making sense ??

Device(s)
    LG 800G - LG 500G
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone - Net10
    Feedback Score
    You are correct. The number of days from your new airtime refill card is added to your existing expiry date for the new expiry date.

BTW, all Tracfone airtime refill cards add 90 days except for the two different one year cards.

Example: You activate a phone today and the expiry date is May 1st (60 days for initial activation). If you add three 60 minute cards today, your new expiry date will be January 26, 2009. If you add three more 60 minute cards tomorrow, your new expiry date will be October 23, 2009.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dd78749
    You are correct. The number of days from your new airtime refill card is added to your existing expiry date for the new expiry date.

BTW, all Tracfone airtime refill cards add 90 days except for the two different one year cards.

Example: You activate a phone today and the expiry date is May 1st (60 days for initial activation). If you add three 60 minute cards today, your new expiry date will be January 26, 2009. If you add three more 60 minute cards tomorrow, your new expiry date will be October 23, 2009.
    many thanks for your info.... I did not know this !!

Device(s)
    LG 800G - LG 500G
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone - Net10
    Feedback Score
    Most value conscious Tracfone users will buy the "twofer" (two 60 units cards + one phone) special from Tracfone's website for $19.99 during free shipping periods. It's the most economical way to keep your per-minute rate low and to extend your service days ad infinitum.

However, I'm guessing that you are Canadian since you use "expiry" instead of "expiration". The downside of the above information is that Tracfone does not ship to Canada. If you live near the US border, you could always rent a PO box for delivery. If that is inconvenient and you just need service days and already have plenty of minutes, Tracfone does have a Lifeline value plan that adds 30 days of service (no minutes) for $4.95 monthly at the end of your service date. I do not know if Tracfone accepts Canadian credit cards though.

The other option, if you only travel to the US infrequently, is to simply pick up a new Tracfone at Wal-Mart or one of the "dollar" stores each time that you visit. They are so cheap ($12.88 at Wal-Mart or $10 on sale at the "dollar" stores) that Tracfones are essentially throw-away (or recyclable) phones.

Just more information that may be of help.

Feedback Score
    yes... and yes...
    we are canadian and what happened last year was that a buddy
    of mine was in the states for about 4 weeks and he figured buying
    a tracfone was the most budgetwise thing to do ..(i was no help to him!)..

what he discovered was that when he loaded his card and tried to call
    a canadian number .. it did not work !!!! why is that ?? i do not know.
    but what he discovered was that tracfone only worked calling u.s. numbers and if you wanted international numbers .. had to buy a different kind of
    card ?

Device(s)
    LG 800G - LG 500G
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone - Net10
    Feedback Score
    Actually, Tracfone has two programs for international long distance. There is no additional cost other than regular airtime rates.

The first program is International Long Distance. You dial 1-800-706-3839 from the mainland or 305-938-5673 from Alaska, Hawaii, or the USVI. You are then asked to select 1 for English or 2 for Spanish. Then dial your Canadian number: 1+AC+phone number. It is available on all Tracfones that have been activated for at least 48 business hours. Here is the link for more info: http://www.tracfoneild.com/?AID=ILDHPB

The second program is International Neighbors. You can obtain three LOCAL Canadian phone numbers that your friends and family can dial in Canada at no cost to them and it will ring your Tracfone anywhere you are located in the US as long as you have both airtime and service. Local Canadian numbers are typically only available in major metropolitan areas (Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, etc.). This program does require you to go to Tracfone's website at the link provided after this sentence where you can set up your three Canadian phone numbers. Here is the link for more info: http://www.tracfoneild.com/?AID=ILDHPB

Hope this helps!

Feedback Score
    thank you dd..

will have to read up on the info you sent..
    he thought that once he filled up the phone will enough airtime ..
    he could call canada using the appropriate number of units..etc..
    but it was not the case..
    then he said after spending the money ..

he later saw 2 different type of airtime cards to buy... is this true?

i thought from reading your valuable info.. that as long as
    the phone had service and airtime (loaded up with the standard mins card)
    we could pick any of the 2 options you specified....

Device(s)
    LG 800G - LG 500G
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone - Net10
    Feedback Score
    I'm not aware of different types of airtime cards. I'm only aware of the two programs about which I previously posted.

There is a workaround way to call Canada without having to dial the 800 number. It is a gray area, but it works. If you dial *67 (Caller ID blocking) and then dial a Canadian area code and phone number, it will ring right through and you will be charged the same airtime that you would if you dialed a US number. It's not technically a violation of the Terms and Conditions because *67 is a legal way to block your phone number, but it is a bug in the Tracfone firmware that allows you to bypass the recommended way to call Canada.

If you use the *67 method, do so at your own risk. Tracfone's Risk Assessment team monitors call activity and if they deem that you are abusing their service, you will be warned with a phone call from Tracfone or they will simply terminate your service.

I would suggest using the 800 method. Just store the 800 number as a speed dial number or store it in front of your contacts' phone numbers with pauses or waits (p or w - you'll have to play around with it in order to figure out which is better to use) and you won't have to worry whether your service will be terminated.

Device(s)
    TP2
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky89

...he later saw 2 different type of airtime cards to buy... is this true?
    There are actually at least 2 different types of Tracfone cards, possibly more. The standard longer than wide ones that come directly from Tracfone, and others that carry all of the Tracfone logos etc., but usually slightly differ in size and shape, which are activated thru a third party authorizer, Incomm, or some similar name. Both types of cards are sold at retail, with the "official" Tracfone cards being considerably more common. Some retailers still carry new old stock Incomm Tracfone cards which can sometimes be found in weird denominations such as 100 minutes and 60 days of service.