Device(s)
    Moto X
    Carrier(s)
    Fido Solutions
    Feedback Score

FAQ's: Unlimited Surfing on your Fido

FAQ's: Unlimited Surfing on your Fido

UPDATE -- JUNE 10, 2009:

The Unlimited browsing add-on has increased in price from $7 to $10/month. Here are the details:

This add-on includes Unlimited browsing on your Fido phone. It is only available on select phones. Smartphones are excluded (Windows Mobile® devices, Blackberry devices, iPhones, Laptop Internet devices and non-Fido certified phones are not eligible).

Using non-Fido (3rd party) applications that you have downloaded to your phone is now INCLUDED. Use of applications supplied by the phone manufacturer that are pre-loaded on to your phone are also now INCLUDED. 3rd party applications are applications like:

- RoadSynch Email
    - Yahoo! GO
    - WorldMate
    - GPS/Location
    - Productivity
    - Nokia Internet

What is still not included in the Unlimited mobile browsing add-on:

> Tethering — Tethering is when you use your phone as a wireless modem to connect to the Internet via a laptop. The phone can be connected via USB cable or Bluetooth. Once connected, you can access the Internet wirelessly on your laptop using the Fido wireless network.
    > Laptop Internet device usage — A Laptop Internet device works like a wireless modem for Internet access via a laptop. You can choose a Laptop Internet device instead of tethering your Fido phone.

THIS COVERS ALL DETAILS FOR THE $7 SURFING OPTION AND $20 VALUE PACK

-Which phones are eligible for an Unlimited Surfing on your Fido option?
    Any Fido certified/branded phone that has the Fido internet browser built into it is eligible for an Unlimited Surfing on your Fido option regardless of when the phone was purchased. As on Rogers, devices which are eligible for their own specific data plans such as Blackberry devices, Windows Mobile devices, PDA's, PC Cards and grey market phones are not eligible for this plan. This includes the Nokia E62 and all Windows Mobile smartphones. The basic rule of thumb to remember: If your device has a full qwerty keyboard or is non-Fido or is a laptop it's not eligible.

-How can customers tell if they are using a Fido internet browser on an eligible device?
    Clicking on a Fido internet browser icon will lead customers to the Fido Mall/Surf, Download & Play page first. In other words, they are using the standard pre-installed browser on Fido-branded handsets.

-Is there a difference between the $7 Unlimited Surfing on your Fido option and the Unlimited Surfing included in the $20 Value Pack?
    No, there is no difference. All the benefits, restrictions and device eligibility for the $7 Unlimited Surfing on your Fido option apply for the $20 Value Pack.

-What is included in the Unlimited Surfing on your Fido option?
    The Unlimited Surfing on your Fido option lets customers browse the mobile internet on their device as much as they want for a set fee per month. The plan gives unlimited access to both WAP and HTML websites as long as they are accessed through the Fido internet browser and on a Fido certified/branded phone. Although the Sales Guide states that the Unlimited Surfing on your Fido option gives access to all WAP sites (sites which have been optimized for viewing on a mobile phone), this is for informational simplicity. Customers don’t need to worry if they are accessing a WAP site or not. Other than our 3G phones, all other phones only have the capacity to process and display WAP sites.

-What is not included in the Unlimited Surfing on your Fido option?
    Data usage incurred on ineligible phones and devices, incurred while tethering (using the phone as a wireless modem to connect to the Internet from a computer).

-What is tethering?
    Tethering is when you use your phone as a wireless modem to connect to the Internet from a computer. The phone can be connected to a computer via a cable or Bluetooth/infrared. Once connected, you can access the Internet wirelessly on your computer using the Fido network, at pay-per-use rates.

-What is WAP?
    WAP is a special web format that web developers design to optimize the internet experience on mobile phones. Because a lot of mobile phones do not have the internal hardware, memory, or software to process HTML websites, WAP was created to accommodate for this. It is up to individual websites to decide whether or not they want to create and maintain a WAP site.

-What happens if a website does not have a WAP version of its site?
    Phones that have the necessary hardware, memory, and software to process HTML websites, such as our 3G phones, may display the website in the HTML format. Note: HTML on mobile phone may not be the same as HTML on a computer. All other phones may display an "error" message.

If you want to surf on other devices or use 3rd party apps:

--> You will need a regular data package AVAILABLE HERE <--

ALL THE INFO IS RIGHT HERE. PLEASE, NO MORE THREADS! Thank you.
    Last edited by Moderator HF 2; 06-14-2009 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Updated Post with new information supplied by JustinCredible

FIDO $40/4GB BYOD
    PUBLIC $38/4GB BYOD
    WIND $15 AITF unlimited data (10GB full speed)

All my posts are my own opinion only and not necessarily that of any of my employers, past or present.

Device(s)
    Nokia 5230
    Carrier(s)
    WIND
    Feedback Score
    ..So what would you say is the best phone for surfing?

Device(s)
    Blackberry Curve 8900
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Great FAQ! Very well put and simple to understand. Good job, i.Fido!

Device(s)
    Moto X
    Carrier(s)
    Fido Solutions
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by EricMammoth
    ..So what would you say is the best phone for surfing?
    At the moment, go for the RAZR2 V9. I have used all 3 of the current Fido 3G phones which are compatible with the unlimited surfing and I can say without a doubt that the V9 wins hands down. It has a better display and renders most HTML pages A-okay.

Cheers.

Device(s)
    Motorola DROID Maxx
    Carrier(s)
    FIDO
    Feedback Score
    Is the unlimited surfing based on the IMEI of the phone, or the fact that the traffic goes through the WAP?

Feedback Score
    This posting below seems to contradicts the information posted regarding the $7/month unlimited option. According to the posting Fido is charging him over $400 of data. CS rep said the $7 plan is not compatible with his Jack.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...3&goto=newpost

Device(s)
    Moto X
    Carrier(s)
    Fido Solutions
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveplustwo
    This posting below seems to contradicts the information posted regarding the $7/month unlimited option. According to the posting Fido is charging him over $400 of data. CS rep said the $7 plan is not compatible with his Jack.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...3&goto=newpost

QUOTE:

Windows Mobile devices, PDA's, PC Cards and grey market phones are not eligible for this plan. This includes the Nokia E62 and all Windows Mobile smartphones. The basic rule of thumb to remember: If your device has a full qwerty keyboard or is non-Fido or is a laptop it's not eligible.

END

Device(s)
    Nokia N95-4 8GB (unbranded/unlocked)
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Hmm... I see no mention of my FAQ - Will a phone that was previously branded to Fido/Rogers and is now unbranded be covered by the $7 UL plan?

I guess we will not really know for sure until the April bills come out?

Device(s)
    Samsung a600
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    My girlfriend recently upgraded her package to the $20 value pack on her Nokia 'dumbphone', which includes unlimited internet. I'm wondering, could she use Opera mini on it and not be charged for web browsing? I've been getting mixed answers on the subject, and all the 1000+ page threads with people trying to figure out how to get their unlocked phones and Blackberries to browse for free ain't making my search any easier.

I... I mean 'we' really enjoy browsing on the go, but it would be nice to use a better browser than the one Fido wants us to use.

EDIT: Like I thought, seems like you're stuck with the built in browser

http://www.howardforums.com/printthread.php?t=1337970

OOC, do some of the higher end 'dumbphones' offer better browsers? And if they do, can you use them to browse 'real' sites and not be charged?

Device(s)
    Moto X
    Carrier(s)
    Fido Solutions
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Electrify2
    My girlfriend recently upgraded her package to the $20 value pack on her Nokia 'dumbphone', which includes unlimited internet. I'm wondering, could she use Opera mini on it and not be charged for web browsing? I've been getting mixed answers on the subject, and all the 1000+ page threads with people trying to figure out how to get their unlocked phones and Blackberries to browse for free ain't making my search any easier.

I... I mean 'we' really enjoy browsing on the go, but it would be nice to use a better browser than the one Fido wants us to use.
    No.

3rd party applications are applications that are not certified or sold by Fido and installed on a customers handset. Many 3rd party applications on mobile devices require mobile Internet connection access, therefore wireless data usage may be incurred. Data usage incurred while using 3rd party applications is not included in the Unlimited Surfing on your Fido option and pay-per-use charges will apply.

This is the only way to control usage and make absolutely sure people do not abuse the service by using things like maps, skype, certain media streaming, etc. Before you get too upset about it, be aware that without these restrictions in place we would not even HAVE an unlimited plan at all.

Cheers.

Device(s)
    Samsung a600
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    ^^ Yeah, just found the link. Thought so, but I had been hearing about people being able to use Opera with Rogers/Fido with no problems. But answering my recent edit would be much appreciated

(especially since I may be working at a Rogers retailer soon, and I'd feel less evil if I were pushing phones and plans that have decent web capabilities )

Feedback Score
    Can you go to let's say, Yahoo or hotmail and check/read/send email while there ? If not, then this is a poor man's version of the bell unlimited ? Thanks ! I have tried the 7$ unlimited on all my Fido phone and the built in web browsers are a complete joke. They exist only to try to sell you some ringtones. I love Opera Mini. Too bad they aren't smart enough to include that (which is already compressed), but then again, Fido wouldn't be able to hock their ringtones and other crap if you were using OM LOL. Thanks !

Device(s)
    Moto X
    Carrier(s)
    Fido Solutions
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dslitedstt
    Can you go to let's say, Yahoo or hotmail and check/read/send email while there ? If not, then this is a poor man's version of the bell unlimited ? Thanks ! I have tried the 7$ unlimited on all my Fido phone and the built in web browsers are a complete joke. They exist only to try to sell you some ringtones. I love Opera Mini. Too bad they aren't smart enough to include that (which is already compressed), but then again, Fido wouldn't be able to hock their ringtones and other crap if you were using OM LOL. Thanks !
    Yes, of course you can send/recieve emails as much as you want as long as you're accessing your email accounts through the web browser. And remember, they cannot allow Opera Mini because it does not use the browser and opening it up means they have to allow all 3rd party apps. Pretty simple.

PS: I don't know what phone you're using but the V9 has a decent browser. Cheers.

Device(s)
    Samsung a600
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    My GF has the Nokia 5200. Not the fanciest phone, but it has a lot of features on it considering its price (bought as a replacement off contract). The web browser is decent, but nowhere near as good as Opera Mini.

But you're saying there are phones that have decent browsers (ie: allow multiple zoom, HTML and CSS compatibility, etc)?

Also, I just found a site on her phone where she can download free ringtones. These downloads are covered by the $7 unlimited plan, correct?

PS: Thanks for the info. Sorry for all the n00b questions

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by i.Fido
    Yes, of course you can send/recieve emails as much as you want as long as you're accessing your email accounts through the web browser. And remember, they cannot allow Opera Mini because it does not use the browser and opening it up means they have to allow all 3rd party apps. Pretty simple.

PS: I don't know what phone you're using but the V9 has a decent browser. Cheers.
    The Opera mini thing is just plain crazy in my opinion ! Well all of my phones have their own built in browsers but I wonder something.... I just bought an unlocked unbranded razr2 v9 (haven't received it yet) and I wonder if it will have the same browser as the fido branded phone ? A friend who bought the same clean phone told me that fido/rogers locks up most of the goodies on the phone which is why I bought a clean one too! he said he can use mp3's as ringtones and can mod/pimp his phone as he likes. No handcuffs. I can't wait to get mine.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast