Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: FAQ's: Unlimited Surfing on your Fido

Feedback Score
    And I forgot to mention that seeing my razr2 is unbranded and unlocked, it won't have the "fido web browser" and therefore will not be able to use the $7 option right ? Come to think of it, doesn't the Fido razr2 come with Opera mini like they do in the U.S ?

Feedback Score
    how can fido know that ur using a windows live mobile? my friend had the $18 value pack, with an unlocked windows fone, and it just used up the 12 mbs...can they actually tell that u are using a non-fido fone that is windows based?

Device(s)
    Moto X
    Carrier(s)
    Fido Solutions
    Feedback Score
    dslitedstt: Razr2 comes with an opera browser, but it is not Opera Mini. Opera makes many different browsers.

vinneme: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE just do us all a favour and read the forums, search the countless threads and posts that have already discussed this to death. The system knows EXACTLY what phone you're using the second you put your sim card in it and turn it on. It is a fact. Plus, as already posted a zillion times, the OLD 12MB option is unrestricted but the new plans are fully locked down. End of discussion, period.

This thread is really all you need to know as it explains what you can and cannot do with the new plans. All the info on WHY is already in many other threads. Thanks.

FIDO $40/4GB BYOD
    PUBLIC $38/4GB BYOD
    WIND $15 AITF unlimited data (10GB full speed)

All my posts are my own opinion only and not necessarily that of any of my employers, past or present.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by i.Fido
    dslitedstt: Razr2 comes with an opera browser, but it is not Opera Mini. Opera makes many different browsers.
    Thanks. I wonder if the Opera browser will still be there when I get my unbranded version. If it is, seeing that its a razr2 with the same browser as Fido's razr, I'm sure I could get away with the $7 on it ? I mean, ppl using the Fido branded phone use Opera on it, there should be no difference, just have to make sure the apn is the same.

I only need it for those few times that I can"t have my mini laptop/aircard with me !

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Though I can't speak directly for Fido, I emailed the same question re Opera mini to Rogers customer support. Below is my question and their response.

Q. I have a question regarding your new Unlimited On-Device Mobile browsing plan. I recently added this and want to use a different browser (Opera mini) on my Rogers phone (Sony w580i). Is this allowed under the plan, or will I be charged extra for data?
    Thanks

R. Thank you for taking the time to write to us, we appreciate your use of online customer service.

In your recent email, you have informed us that you would like to know if you will be charged extra fee for data when you using Opera mini on your wireless phone.

We would like to inform you that $7 Vision Unlimited On-Device Mobile Browsing includes 12 months of unlimited Video calling, 3 months unlimited Video On Demand and unlimited WAP browsing. You will not be charged extra fee for data when you using Opera mini on your wireless phone.

For more information about $7 Vision Unlimited On-Device Mobile Browsing please follow:
    http://www.rogers.com/web/content/wi...ans/essentials

We are pleased to have been able to address your inquiry. You are a valued customer and we thank you for your business.

__________________________________________________ _______________________

My phone is a debranded Sony W580i, and though I haven't yet used Opera mini, I have been using the Sony browser (as the Rogers has been removed with the debranding) and multiple phone calls to Rogers have confirmed no data charges to date. (And I've been using the browser... a lot!)
    My plan technically isn't the "Vision" plan since I don't have a Vision phone, but I suspect that was just cut and paste on the rep's part.

Just my 2 cents.

Device(s)
    Samsung a600
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    ^^ Interesting. The main reason why I'm going with Bell when my contract expires is because their mobile internet plan allows Opera mini and other 3rd party applications. If I can use Opera Mini with Rogers, I may very well take them over Bell (get the BCB with my home phone = slightly cheaper net price than Bell).

Considering that Rogers and Fido both have the exact same small print when it comes to mobile internet, I think I will email them just to see what they say.

EDIT: Just sent the email. Let's see what happens.

Device(s)
    Moto X
    Carrier(s)
    Fido Solutions
    Feedback Score
    That sounds just like the typical generic response you would expect from Rogers/Fido. It's just a cut-and-paste from the same CSR's that will also happily tell you the Moto Q works with the $7 plan. (lol)

As most people around here will advise you: Don't call/email customer support as they are clueless on these subjects most of the time. That's what HoFo is for.

Regards.

Device(s)
    Samsung a600
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    ^^I'm still waiting for a reply from Fido regarding Opera. If they claim it does work, I'll post the email along with confirmation number and any other info possible here, so that one can use it as a rebuttle if they are charged with Opera mini.

Device(s)
    Samsung i780
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    I have an unbranded TREO 680.

I am currently subscribing to the $18 communication pack with a 12Mb option and have had no charges incurred for using a non-fido browser.

I'm not sure how the $20 plan would differ when all it does is extend the 12 Mb to unlimited for $20.

I think the whole clause about Fido browsers is just a way to discourage people from getting non-Fido devices. The question is, who is brave enough to try it out and see for themselves?

Device(s)
    Moto X
    Carrier(s)
    Fido Solutions
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by harleyalij
    I have an unbranded TREO 680.

I am currently subscribing to the $18 communication pack with a 12Mb option and have had no charges incurred for using a non-fido browser.

I'm not sure how the $20 plan would differ when all it does is extend the 12 Mb to unlimited for $20.

Again, if you please read the various threads on this in the Fido and Rogers forums, you will quickly learn that the unlimited is VERY different from the 12 MB option. If you want to use unlocked phones or PDA's, stay with your 12 MB plan or you'll be kicking yourself when you get the bill on the unlimited version. I really wish this thread was locked up and just stay as a facts thread, and not another debate about how it works.

Regards.

Carrier(s)
    FIDO
    Feedback Score
    Important: This plan includes unlimited on-device mobile browsing only. Plan is available on select phones only (PDAs such as Blackberry or Windows Mobile devices, PC cards and non-Rogers certified devices are not eligible). Data usage incurred on ineligible devices, incurred while tethering (using device as wireless modem for laptop) or incurred using non-Rogers (3rd party) applications downloaded to your device will be subject to pay-per-use charges of 5 cents/KB.

What are 3rd party applications?

3rd party applications are applications like Yahoo! Go or Google Maps. These are non-Rogers applications which can be downloaded to the device and incur data charges at a rate of 5˘/KB.

The site said you might get charged for Yahoo! Go or Google Maps ( this kinda software is totally different from opera mini which is very similar to the build in web browser )

There is nothing directly mention about opera mini yet so i still have some hope that we can use it.
    Just keep the finger cross.

Device(s)
    Moto X
    Carrier(s)
    Fido Solutions
    Feedback Score
    which can be downloaded to the device and incur data charges at a rate of 5˘/KB.

Opera Mini must be downloaded to the device and it doesn't use the built-in browser when you use it.

It's pretty straight forward language here, and it's stated that ALL applications downloaded that require an internet connection are a no go. Obviously they cannot allow one to work while banning others lol. Free-for-all data = through the built-in browser. Not free = stuff using its own connection.

Device(s)
    Samsung a600
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Finally got a reply back from Fido:

Question:
    I have a question about your new unlimited on-device web browsing plan. Is it possible to use the popular Opera mini browser on a standard (non-PDA/BB/smartphone) cell phone with this package without receiving data charges?

Answer:
    Dear Mr. Smith,

We would like to thank you for visiting our Fido Web site and allowing us the opportunity to assist you.

The $7 Unlimited Surfing on your Fido option is valid for mobile surfing with Fido handsets only while in Canada on the Fido network.

If you are subscribed to this option and using an unlocked GSM handset, a handset using Windows Mobile or using your handset as a modem, pay-per-use charges of 5˘ per KB apply. However, you may wish to subscribe to a Mobile Internet option to reduce your costs.

When subscribed to any of our data options, while roaming outside Canada a data transmission charge of 5˘ per KB applies, except in the U.S. where data transmission charges of 1˘ per KB apply.

For more information on this option, click here.

Your questions and comments are of great importance to us.

Sincerely,

Stanley
    Fido Internet Consultant
    Did they even READ what I wrote there???

Carrier(s)
    FIDO
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by i.Fido
    which can be downloaded to the device and incur data charges at a rate of 5˘/KB.

Opera Mini must be downloaded to the device and it doesn't use the built-in browser when you use it.

It's pretty straight forward language here, and it's stated that ALL applications downloaded that require an internet connection are a no go. Obviously they cannot allow one to work while banning others lol. Free-for-all data = through the built-in browser. Not free = stuff using its own connection.
    i know the words is straight forward there but i just said just hope that they let opera mini go.
    maybe if we have enough demand then they would change.

i have question. If i go to a site and download something from that. ( will it count as data or just still cover in unlimited browser ?

Device(s)
    Nokia E90 Red
    Carrier(s)
    Fido Ambassador
    Feedback Score
    I'm using a nokia e90 and i get free surfing aswell. if you call in to customer service they tell you a whole different story about what is eligable for the unlimited surfing option. But i can tell you i have had the $20 value pack on for 2 months and have not been charged at all for data.. specially when i did about 8gigs last month.. I suggest calling in.. main thing they say is that windows mobiles devices wont work at the moment with the unlimited surfing option
    sometime, I like to lay in bed and look up at the stars and wonder.. where the hell did my roof go?

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast