Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: FAQ's: Unlimited Surfing on your Fido

Device(s)
    Rogers Nokia E62
    Feedback Score
    I was wondering if they can bill you retroactively for the period you were using the ineligible device prior to the start of the new tracking system. I would hate to pay for the data charges for my usage from Feb-April 14th.

Device(s)
    Moto X
    Carrier(s)
    Fido Solutions
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tonythebullet
    I was wondering if they can bill you retroactively for the period you were using the ineligible device prior to the start of the new tracking system. I would hate to pay for the data charges for my usage from Feb-April 14th.

They could, but will not. Consider yourself lucky to have gotten away with it for as long as you did.

FIDO $40/4GB BYOD
    PUBLIC $38/4GB BYOD
    WIND $15 AITF unlimited data (10GB full speed)

All my posts are my own opinion only and not necessarily that of any of my employers, past or present.

Device(s)
    Moto X
    Carrier(s)
    Fido Solutions
    Feedback Score
    OFFICIAL UPDATE

This is for all of you who refused to believe me about Opera Mini not being covered on the $7 plan. Well, it's now officially not eligible by name. So please, NO MORE claiming it will work blah blah blah. Thanks.

What is included in the Unlimited Surfing on your Fido Option?

This Option includes Unlimited Surfing on your Fido phone using the built in mobile browser on your Fido handset. It is only available on select phones (Windows Mobile devices, PC cards and non-Fido certified phones are not eligible).

What is not included in the plan?

* Tethering - tethering is when you use your phone as a wireless modem to connect to the Internet via a laptop. The phone can be connected via USB cable or Bluetooth. Once connected, you can access the Internet wirelessly on your laptop using the Fido wireless network.
    * PC Card usage – A PC Card works like a wireless modem for Internet access via a laptop. You can choose a PC Card instead of tethering your Fido phone.
    * Using non-Fido (3rd party) applications that you have downloaded to your device. 3rd party applications are applications like Opera Mini browser or Google Maps.
    * Use of applications sold by Fido and applications supplied by the phone manufacturer that are pre-loaded on to your device may incur data charges. Consult each application individually.

Usage incurred in the above mentioned ways will incur data charges. For great savings on this type of usage check out our Internet Options

-----------------------

All info here: http://www.fido.ca/portal/en/domore/sdp_options.shtml

Cheers.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    i will be waiting to see how that new system will be in fact, i am going to buy a nokia phone and clone its imei and copy the setting using an emulation software just to see how the system will work as even the guys who are warning us and claiming no other ways to run out of the charges.

lets see guys.

mobile browsing make no sense if its gonna be used on certain mobie device and has no msn or chat wil work on it,
    i was using gsm since 1985 and i never thought oe planned after all the changes in the technology to use those cheap wap browser.

why then 3g and 4g are available in the market? if fido are limiting people to cheap wap browser.

i have no clue why these limitation.

Device(s)
    HP/Palm Pre 3
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ziadsa
    i was using gsm since 1985
    That's amazing considering the standard wasn't ratified until 1990, and the first GSM network wasn't built until 1991. You're truly a special cat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GSM#History
    [ f l a s h ! ] - "What's the matter Colonel Sanders? CHICKEN?!?"

Previous phones: BlackBerry 9100, BlackBerry 9700, BlackBerry 9000, BlackBerry 8830, Nokia E61i, Nokia 6300, BlackBerry Pearl 8100, BlackBerry 7250, Motorola RAZR V3 (black), Nokia N-Gage QD, Danger Hiptop, SE T68i, Nokia 8390, Handspring VisorPhone/Prism, Ericsson T18z, Nokia 3390, Nokia 5190/Analog Module (for that drive from TO->MTL), Ericsson CF388, and an original Cantel Amigo!

Feedback Score
    Hey, thanks a lot for all the info i.Fido. From what I've gathered Fido's internet plans and Roger's internet plans are the same, or at least follow the same guidelines.
    One question that I saw being asked but didn't see an answer to was:
    Are normal downloads charged extra, say for a ringtone(mp3, midi, ogg), a .jar (game/app), or any files that the built in browser can't open and display.
    Can pictures be downloaded/saved?
    Also are videos included? Like mobile youtube?
    I've read over this whole thread and then some more and haven't found any definite answers.

Device(s)
    Nokia E62 (Fido)
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Where on their website does it say that that Nokia E62 isn't legible?

And why did the CSR inform me of this?

Also... now that i know I will be paying extra - already have been actually - should I just go to the Fido store and complain? The problem is, I won't have any proof that the nokia e62 isn't legit... Looks like I'm ****ed, on a short note at least.

Device(s)
    Nokia E62 (Fido)
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Nvm..

Okay. I called them just now, hearing that the E62 is eligible. No fees have been accumulated yet. In conclusion, i think that the initial post should be edited, stating that the e62 IS eligible, as long as it's fido's.

Device(s)
    Moto X
    Carrier(s)
    Fido Solutions
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pauldiat
    Where on their website does it say that that Nokia E62 isn't legible?
    What a ridiculous comment. Do you expect them to list ALL phones not eligible? They're not going to list a device by name, and especially not one they do not even sell anymore! It's simple: the plan is for eligible devices only. That's all they have to say.

Quote Originally Posted by pauldiat
    Nvm..

Okay. I called them just now, hearing that the E62 is eligible. No fees have been accumulated yet. In conclusion, i think that the initial post should be edited, stating that the e62 IS eligible, as long as it's fido's.
    No it is not. The training and materials are very clear on that. ANY device which has its own specific data plan meant for it cannot be used. In other words, PDA's. Hiptop > hiptop plan. E62 > BB Connect plan. WM device > WM plan.

Go ahead and rely on bad info from CS for a month though....

E62 is a business device with a FULL KEYBOARD and BB CONNECT. It's not a consumer phone for a $7 WAP apn surfing plan! You guys crack me up sometimes.

Feedback Score
    Thats why you get a P800

so far no charges. i'm stopping usage at 2mb just in case.
    On contract terms and responsibilities and getting the right information:

When youre talking about signing a contract for 3 years that will in the end may potentially cost you 20x X number of months you really should do everything to protect yourself.

Feedback Score

I am getting a Razar2 and $7 plan

After reading the whole thread, it seems only one user says it is good, but he used mini opera.
    I called today, and added the $7 plan, but still can not use the web browse , my current phone is a V3. I will call tomorrow to find out.
    I just want to know, what is the problem with the build in browser? Can I use it to browse my own web site?

Feedback Score
    after reading through the threads carefully. I have a rogers phone "htc touch" and all I did was put the sim card in it from my fido plan and walah it worked no unlocking or anything.

I use wifi at home so no problem there, but at work I don't have any wifi and would like to get the surfing plan. Now I added the 16 dollar value pack yesterday mainly for call display and yahoo messaging. But I couldn't find any software that would allow me to use yahoo messenger. I downloading "paldingo". After talking to a representative she said since my phone is not a fido phone I will get charged using data. what do I have to do to get browsing and instant messaging. On the htc touch it only has windows live messenger no yahoo. I don't mind using the internet explorer and when I do visit the website it says:

Welcome! Tap Below to visit these sites, or here to learn about connecting to the internet.
    Then theres a rogers logo and windows mobile logo

So in conclusion there is no way for me to use my phone to go on the internet correct?? someone confirm thanks. If I get blasted by i.fido sorry then.

As I said I don't mind using the internet explorer (as other prefer opera) but its doable just need yahoo messenger for work. So anyone care to share or help

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by flipflash77
    That's amazing considering the standard wasn't ratified until 1990, and the first GSM network wasn't built until 1991. You're truly a special cat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GSM#History
    First of all i was mistaken i wrote 1985 and its 1995.
    second its out of topic you smart cat.

get solution or ideas instead of being smart and watching numbers.
    by the way in 1991 the first gsm provider was in finland.

Device(s)
    Moto X
    Carrier(s)
    Fido Solutions
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ferozkq

So in conclusion there is no way for me to use my phone to go on the internet correct?? someone confirm thanks. If I get blasted by i.fido sorry then.

As I said I don't mind using the internet explorer (as other prefer opera) but its doable just need yahoo messenger for work. So anyone care to share or help
    Sure, you can use the internet all you want. But it won't be covered with the $7/$20 plans. You'll be charged $51 per megabyte and go broke pretty fast. (Logging into the normal facebook site = over $102.00. Loading up this forum = over $25. Getting an email with 5MB of attachments = over $254.00)

Have fun!

Feedback Score
    so now what is the best solution then? to take advantage and use the messenger?? should I go to rogers since its a rogers phone??

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast