Thread: FAQ's: Unlimited Surfing on your Fido

Device(s)
    iPhone 5
    Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by i.Fido
    QUOTE:

Windows Mobile devices, PDA's, PC Cards and grey market phones are not eligible for this plan. This includes the Nokia E62 and all Windows Mobile smartphones. The basic rule of thumb to remember: If your device has a full qwerty keyboard or is non-Fido or is a laptop it's not eligible.

END
    just talk to the fido rep to setup my iphone earlier, he said himself has an unlocked phone from europe running the $7 unlimited data plan. and that his whole family including his daughter has phones that arnt from fido that are working. and he said that any phone will work with the $7 dollar unlimited data plan. he put a memo on my account saying that il be credit if there is any data charges. and that i could cancel my unlimited data option without any problems.

Device(s)
    Moto X
    Carrier(s)
    Fido Solutions
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewcjduong
    just talk to the fido rep to setup my iphone earlier, he said himself has an unlocked phone from europe running the $7 unlimited data plan. and that his whole family including his daughter has phones that arnt from fido that are working. and he said that any phone will work with the $7 dollar unlimited data plan. he put a memo on my account saying that il be credit if there is any data charges. and that i could cancel my unlimited data option without any problems.

Good luck. Huge bills are already coming in for people with unlocked phones. You may get a one-time break with your note on the account, but that is all. Cheers.

FIDO $40/4GB BYOD
    PUBLIC $38/4GB BYOD
    WIND $15 AITF unlimited data (10GB full speed)

All my posts are my own opinion only and not necessarily that of any of my employers, past or present.

Carrier(s)
    FIDO
    Feedback Score
    if i have a link send to my fido handset to download a software from the internet.
    Will this count as unlimited browser or it charged me data for it

http://www.audible.com/adbl/site/aud...seBVCookie=Yes
    i'm thinking of getting this on my phone

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    I've already had a few 5 figure bills show up. It's quite interesting explaining to a customer why they have to pay 15 grand for internet.

Device(s)
    Moto X
    Carrier(s)
    Fido Solutions
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Drekor
    I've already had a few 5 figure bills show up. It's quite interesting explaining to a customer why they have to pay 15 grand for internet.
    Yep, no kidding. And more to come.

UPDATE BULLETIN:

(ROGERS WIRELESS, RE: $7 UL browsing option) Starting May 13th, data usage incurred on ineligible devices or while tethering (use of device as wireless modem) or while using applications is subject to pay-per-use charges of $15/MB for the first 5MB, $10/MB for next 5MB, $5/MB for next 10MB and $0.50/MB thereafter.

Whether FIDO customers will get the new overage protection or not is still up in the air, and as of now will still be charged the standard 0.05/kb for ineligible uses. If that is going to change on Fido I will let you all know ASAP. One thing is certain: Tracking is across the board on the billing system, both Fido and Rogers together. The only difference right now is the PPU rates. Cheers.
    Last edited by credmau5; 05-06-2008 at 12:34 AM.

Device(s)
    Moto X
    Carrier(s)
    Fido Solutions
    Feedback Score
    NEW SURFING TRACKER

The Surfing tracker service will provide data customers with SMS notifications by ‘counting’ customer usage and notifying customers of their usage activity at certain predefined thresholds for data options/SOCs & PPU data usage.

May 6: this service will be launched for all monthly customers who use mobile Internet on a pay-per-use basis.
    May 18: it will be launched for customers using the unlimited Surfing Option or a Value pack that includes the unlimited surfing option and will function if the customer does any usage not covered by this option. It will start to work immediately and will take into account the customers billing cycle and usage up to that point. If a customer exceeded a threshold from the beginning of their billing cycle to the launch date, they will not receive any notification for exceeding thresholds.

- Pay-per-use customers will now receive up to 5 free SMS notifications per billing cycle when they reach predefined thresholds of data usage.
    - In addition to rating the usage and notifying the customers of their usage, the notification will also prompt customers to call Customer Service in order to discuss available data options when certain thresholds are reached.
    - With the notifications, customers will now have a better idea of their data usage habits; therefore it will be easier for them to select the data option that fits their needs.
    What’s new for the store representative
    - Every time the customer receives a notification, a memo containing the information from the SMS will be added to the customer’s account.

Feedback Score

M600i, only interested in e-mail not surfing

I've read all these threads extensively and cannot for the life of me figure this out.

So I got this used M600i for cheap a few days ago thinking that I could simply set it up for retrieving my POP3 email (either my work account or Gmail), sync my calendar, etc.

Now, I see that the data plan that I chose was wrong in the first place ($20 value pack), which might explain why I simply cannot set this phone up for e-mail retrieval. (My dealer misinformed me as to Fido's meaning of "data").

I am in no way interested in surfing using the built-in browser, Opera, whatever. I just want enough data transfer to handle POP3 retrieval. Period.

With all the changes in data plans, is that even possible? Or do I have to ditch the $20 value pack, and sign up for either the Blackberry or Windows Mobile e-mail plan and install the respective workaround from the SE website?

Sounds like I just answered my own question but I'd like some confirmation.

Also is it even possible to have the $20 switched to Bberry/WM email by explaining that I made a mistake?

Thanks!

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 3GS
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by i.Fido
    NEW SURFING TRACKER

The Surfing tracker service will provide data customers with SMS notifications by ‘counting’ customer usage and notifying customers of their usage activity at certain predefined thresholds for data options/SOCs & PPU data usage.

May 6: this service will be launched for all monthly customers who use mobile Internet on a pay-per-use basis.
    May 18: it will be launched for customers using the unlimited Surfing Option or a Value pack that includes the unlimited surfing option and will function if the customer does any usage not covered by this option. It will start to work immediately and will take into account the customers billing cycle and usage up to that point. If a customer exceeded a threshold from the beginning of their billing cycle to the launch date, they will not receive any notification for exceeding thresholds.

- Pay-per-use customers will now receive up to 5 free SMS notifications per billing cycle when they reach predefined thresholds of data usage.
    - In addition to rating the usage and notifying the customers of their usage, the notification will also prompt customers to call Customer Service in order to discuss available data options when certain thresholds are reached.
    - With the notifications, customers will now have a better idea of their data usage habits; therefore it will be easier for them to select the data option that fits their needs.
    What’s new for the store representative
    - Every time the customer receives a notification, a memo containing the information from the SMS will be added to the customer’s account.

What are the "predefined thresholds"? Do we call in and define it ourselves, or it is predefined by Fido? If we Fido defines them, what are they?

I have the 12Mb Value Pack and am using iPhone.

Feedback Score

Big data bills ?

So I have read the whole thread and I have to say great entertainment ! iFido excellent information, thanx.

I was just curious to see if anyone had actually received any of those big bills yet ?

I got nailed whilst doing some roaming in the US. Downloaded an essential email (with PPT attachments) for work on a SE W810i, sadly unknown to me at the 5c/KB rate. Well my bill for 17MB of data was a handsome $800+, which means I should have just payed the $10 at Starbucks lol

It does not surprise me in the least that Rogers/Fido would implement IMEI tracking for the purposes of tracking grey phones etc.

So one question I have not seen the answer to yet, is that when using the unlimited browsing plan on an eligible device (phone only) you are effectively using the built in wap browser and presumably a wap proxy gateway in the network.

Does that proxy support/do any type of destination filtering or limiting ?
    (Preferably I would like to use the BBC mobile site which is excellent, but the question is still in general for ANY sites i.e are you limited to a pre-approved subset of sites that Rogers/Fido think is ok for you to be using ?)

Does it support conversion of non-mobile site ?
    (best effort cant guarantee the results etc or none at all ?)

Thanks miar

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    In the US you can buy any mobile from t-mobile and add unlimited internet for 20$. you can buy a phone with sim card + 25$ credit for only 25$.

Concerning data usage on fido network,
    Fido was purchased by Rogers, Rogers p[lans to abondon Fido and let it be like a phone company to provide minutes only and charges. they wanted that company to go slowwwwww.

thanks to the CRTC we are getting 4 new Spectrum license we will get at least 4 more companies.

too bad US companied are not allowed, which they are the most advanced the most competitive rates.

Godd luck guys,

i am browsing on my fido phone and never got a charge.

While rogers are coming in with the Iphone with unlimited mobile plans.

Quote Originally Posted by miar70
    So I have read the whole thread and I have to say great entertainment ! iFido excellent information, thanx.

I was just curious to see if anyone had actually received any of those big bills yet ?

I got nailed whilst doing some roaming in the US. Downloaded an essential email (with PPT attachments) for work on a SE W810i, sadly unknown to me at the 5c/KB rate. Well my bill for 17MB of data was a handsome $800+, which means I should have just payed the $10 at Starbucks lol

It does not surprise me in the least that Rogers/Fido would implement IMEI tracking for the purposes of tracking grey phones etc.

So one question I have not seen the answer to yet, is that when using the unlimited browsing plan on an eligible device (phone only) you are effectively using the built in wap browser and presumably a wap proxy gateway in the network.

(Preferably I would like to use the BBC mobile site which is excellent, but the question is still in general for ANY sites i.e are you limited to a pre-approved subset of sites that Rogers/Fido think is ok for you to be using ?)

Thanks miar

Device(s)
    iPhone 5
    Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    ive read loads of i.fido's posts and not one post has been prooven. im startin to think your just making these up.

Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score

really?

I dropped the option on my E62. Even though I did not see the limitation anywhere (other than from the magical ifido), I'm still not one to risk it with a canadian mobile company. I think organized crime syndicates are more forthcoming than canadian carriers.

Funny thing is, I spoke to numerous reps, and they didnt know anything about this option and the limitations. Then you have mr ifido being all douchey and uppity about the whole thing. So stupid really. Why have a 3G network with super fast data, when you are pricing it like you have no bandwidth. It's like a billionaire quibbling over a penny on his starbucks latte.

I dont recommend testing fido on this option. Who knows what backwards degenerate crap they may pull. If they feel that 1 MB of data is worth 50 Bucks, just drop them. When you think about it. What is 1 MB to them? Assuming that voice on GSM is like Voip and takes up 12 KB/s, wouldnt that mean ~90 seconds is 1 MB of data? Something to think about.

I cant wait to leave fido and go to koodo. So cheap and I can do everything online.

Device(s)
    Moto X
    Carrier(s)
    Fido Solutions
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewcjduong
    ive read loads of i.fido's posts and not one post has been prooven. im startin to think your just making these up.
    A) If you had read all the posts, you'd have seen the various updates and dates of system implementations and enforcement as well.
    B) Everything posted is official from Fido.
    C) Everything posted has been confirmed and expanded upon by many other Fido and Rogers employees in both forums who have the same information, including two people working on the data team.
    D) Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by miar70

Yes, there have been some huge bills already on certain phones/plans, but full enforcement is a few days away still. Wait for the surfing tracker system for customers to begin in a few days as reported back a few posts.

Well my bill for 17MB of data was a handsome $800+, which means I should have just payed the $10 at Starbucks lol
    Ouch! Sucks eh.

Yep, just like many other GSM carriers worldwide are now doing. I just LOL at people who think Rogers somehow just invented this system for themselves.

Yep, exactly correct.

Any web page which displays on the stock browser of a regular Fido phone is A-OK.

Depends on the phone. If you're using a Fido V9 you can view most regular web sites okay, sometimes with a lot of scrolling around though so you may prefer the mobile sites instead.

Thanks miar
    No problem.

PS: Myself and other employees are done posting for a little while. For details, click the link in my sig. Personal questions can still be PM'd to me. Thanks.

Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Hey guys just to be sure.. i got the N95 8GB if i got the option 7$ unlimited.. ill get carged or no???

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Yes, you'll be charged $0.05 / kb you use.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast