Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Thread: FAQ's: Unlimited Surfing on your Fido

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinCredible
    Unofficially, Rogers phones that are compatible with Rogers unlimited browsing seem to work on Fido unlimited browsing too.
    This is great. It would be good to find out which ones specifically. It's a shame that Fido offers the service but the phones aren't really that "mobile browsing" friendly or useful in general.

Device(s)
    LG Optimus G2X
    Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Hi,

I am new to the Fido and its Unlimited Browsing Add-on. Could you please let me know if my understanding is correct below:

1. The Unlimited Browsing does NOT cover the use of the MobileMail Apps that are pre-installed on the phone.

2. The Unlimited Browsing does NOT cover the use of the Fido IM apps that are pre-installed on the phone

3. The Unlimited Browsing DOES cover checking/replying emails and sending instant messages through its build-in browser by visiting sites such as wap.yahoo.com.

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    You can do anything besides tethering. I use google maps, opera mini, and mobile mail almost on a daily basis. I don't get charged extra for any of it.

Feedback Score
    if i use the wap apn on my rogers htc magic can i use the 10$ unlimited plan?

Device(s)
    Motorola DROID Maxx
    Carrier(s)
    FIDO
    Feedback Score
    Is Fido Unlimited on device data still tracked by IMEI, or is it based on the fact you aren't tethering the device.

How do they exclude smart phones from the unlimited browsing? Via IMEI?

Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by george_vancouve

1. The Unlimited Browsing does NOT cover the use of the MobileMail Apps that are pre-installed on the phone.
    Correct! If you don't add the $5 unlimited MobileMail option, you will be charged $0.20 for each email sent or received if you use the pre-installed MobileMail app on your phone.
    http://www.fido.ca/web/content/messaging/mobilemail

2. The Unlimited Browsing does NOT cover the use of the Fido IM apps that are pre-installed on the phone
    Correct! If you don't add the $5 unlimited Instant Messaging option, you will be charged $0.15 for each instant message sent but it's free to receive if you use the pre-installed Instant Messaging app on your phone.
    http://www.fido.ca/web/content/messa...tant_messaging

3. The Unlimited Browsing DOES cover checking/replying emails and sending instant messages through its build-in browser by visiting sites such as wap.yahoo.com.
    Correct! However, it may not be the best user experience you get.

As example, one of the feature you get with $5 MobileMail option, is if you receive email in your inbox, you get an alert message displayed on your phone indicating new email received even if MobileMail app is closed.

As for browser, you have to refresh the webpage to see if any new email received.

Fido now offers $8 (MobileMail email and Instant Messaging bundle)

Device(s)
    LG Xenon
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    This is really extremely confusing. I just picked up an LG Xenon with the $15 value pack that includes unlimited mobile browsing. Here is what the website currently says:

Unlimited mobile browsing add-on
    Includes on-device mobile browsing, excluding tethering (use of device as wireless modem) on select Fido certified devices. Usage subject to Fido terms of Service and Acceptable Use Policy, Fido.ca/terms. Data transmission charges of 3˘/KB apply when roaming.

What is included in the Unlimited mobile browsing add-on
    This add-on includes Unlimited browsing and application use ( i.e Google Maps, Gmails etc) on your Fido phone. It is only available on select phones (Windows Mobile® devices, Laptop Internet devices and non-Fido certified phones are not eligible).

What is not included in the Unlimited mobile browsing add-on
    Tethering — Tethering is when you use your phone as a wireless modem to connect to the Internet via a laptop. The phone can be connected via USB cable or Bluetooth. Once connected, you can access the Internet wirelessly on your laptop using the Fido wireless network.

Data roaming charges apply, in addition to regular subscription fees when accessing the mobile Internet while roaming outside the Fido GPRS/EDGE/3G network.
    So here's what I don't understand. I can use applications such as Gmail, but they also sell a MobileMail subscription for $5 and an Instant Messaging subscription for $5.

So you can use "applications", oh, but we don't tell you this, except for two very very special applications called IM and MobileMail.

WTF Fido.

Feedback Score
    I have a question . can anybody please help me ?
    I am using the unlimited browsing add-on for 10$/ month . I am tethering it with my laptop , I want to know that if fido will charge me for this action ?
    I have also a monthly plan not a prepaid plan
    thanks

Device(s)
    Moto X
    Carrier(s)
    Fido Solutions
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by quicksmile View Post
    I have a question . can anybody please help me ?
    I am using the unlimited browsing add-on for 10$/ month . I am tethering it with my laptop , I want to know that if fido will charge me for this action ?
    I have also a monthly plan not a prepaid plan
    thanks
    Hi, I answered you in the other thread. Please read here: http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...3#post14033323

FIDO $40/4GB BYOD
    PUBLIC $38/4GB BYOD
    WIND $15 AITF unlimited data (10GB full speed)

All my posts are my own opinion only and not necessarily that of any of my employers, past or present.

Carrier(s)
    Bell, Fido, Koodo
    Feedback Score
    I just got off the phone with Fido. She said that non-Fido dumbphones can use UMB. Some of her friends tried it and it didnt incur data charges. However, she does not suggest it as it is a hit-or-miss because Fido has not tested the phones.

Anyone confirm this?
    I'm gonna test it out on my bro's and my phone. But the bill wont arrive til next month and I dont wanna wait that long. And cant check usage thru Fido.ca cause I changed my plan yesterday.

Feedback Score
    can anyone confirm if the new Rogers Nokia C3 works with Fido's UMB?
    This phone accepts a Fido sim card

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11