Thread: I can GET text messages but not SEND them...

Feedback Score

I can GET text messages but not SEND them...

Actually its my girls phone, i got her this phone for christmas, its a Sony Ericcson w610, she loves it and all was working great... for a few days.
    She can get text messages, she just cant send texts to other people, when she first got the phone she was able to for about a week, then this problem started happening. There is a small E at the top of the screen where the reception bars are, that wasnt always there until this problem started so im guessing that has something to do with it.
    Also, at one point right after she paid her bill she was able to send text messages again for about 2 days, then the E came back and now shes not able to send them again, this has been going on for about 2 months now and its starting to piss me off for obvious reasons.
    She has Cingular, well which is now at&t i think, the phone is unbranded, i hope i gave all the required info needed to fix this pain in the *** problem.
    Thanks for the time guys!

Phones
    Motorola RAZR V3
    BlackBerry Tour 9630
    Carriers
    AT&T Mobility /
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Denial288
    Actually its my girls phone, i got her this phone for christmas, its a Sony Ericcson w610, she loves it and all was working great... for a few days.
    She can get text messages, she just cant send texts to other people, when she first got the phone she was able to for about a week, then this problem started happening. There is a small E at the top of the screen where the reception bars are, that wasnt always there until this problem started so im guessing that has something to do with it.
    Also, at one point right after she paid her bill she was able to send text messages again for about 2 days, then the E came back and now shes not able to send them again, this has been going on for about 2 months now and its starting to piss me off for obvious reasons.
    She has Cingular, well which is now at&t i think, the phone is unbranded, i hope i gave all the required info needed to fix this pain in the *** problem.
    Thanks for the time guys!

The small "e" signifies that there is an issue with the "data" portion.. this could be either the phone or the area you are in... but would not have any effect on the text message situation she is expirencing.

Try taking the battery out of the phone and waiting a minute and turning it on again... or go to the device tutorial section on wireless.att.com and choose a similar sony ericcson device and look for the text message settings and make sure everything is correct... a lot of times unlocked devices do not have the correct message center number.

And even though the phone is unlocked and unbranded there are a lot of reps from ATT that will atleast assist you and attempt to resolve the issue to the best of their knowledge... recycling the text feature and having the OTA resent to the device in most cases resolves the issue as well.

Carrier
    All of them.
    Feedback Score
    E = Edge?

Maybe when its on edge something is not working right?
    Home ISP, RR-Ultimate WiFi, $90/mo | Verizon 4G, $30/mo Unlimited

School, $5,000/semester | Work

Phones
    SE 760a/c905a Current
    Nextel 580 current-Wifes
    W518a - Kid
    Carriers
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    it is definately unbanded. I have one as well. Can't with text, I don't use it. I have read adn seen many issues when using unlocked unbranded phone with Text and pic messaging with both ATT and T Mobile

Carrier
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Verify that the message center number is correct. This fixes most of the issues that I talk to customers who are having issues send text messages. Srvce Center No: +13123149810

The number can be wrong, and you will still receive messages, but just won't be able to send them.

My 2000 post was posted on 4/19/2010 at 23:45.
    http://www.howardforums.com/showpost...&postcount=409

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by holaDude
    Verify that the message center number is correct. This fixes most of the issues that I talk to customers who are having issues send text messages. Srvce Center No: +13123149810

The number can be wrong, and you will still receive messages, but just won't be able to send them.
    Most likely this. If that doesn't fix it then make sure your phone isn't set to use GPRS for SMS.

Feedback Score
    Ive just made sure the service center number is correct which it is, E aparently is for edge, she doesnt have that service, how do i switch from edge back to the normal service.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by blkballoon925
    Most likely this. If that doesn't fix it then make sure your phone isn't set to use GPRS for SMS.
    How do i go into that section of the phone to verify thats not set to that.

Phones
    N82 , N95-3 -8 gig's -- bone stock
    3GS - nough said
    SE K790a (R8BC004) w/ mod accoustic's and camera drv +vkp/qa2020 (SLD)
    Carrier
    WTF? My phone says AT&T
    Feedback Score
    go to messaging > settings > sms

also check settings > (regular settings from main menu not messaging) > connectivity> data comm > sms access
    If memory serves there was a setting in there that made that happen on mine at one point. Something about data type or gsm or some thing..

BTW I replied to your thread in SE forum too...
    AKA
    matts_w810i , Matts_K790a , MWP

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Denial288
    How do i go into that section of the phone to verify thats not set to that.
    I'm not that familiar with the UI in SE phones. In the Motorola phones that I'm used to there is a place where all of the SMS settings are located. I would look at the SE forums here on HoFo. I imagine somebody has already documented the information on there.

Phones
    3GS - nough said
    Carrier
    WTF? My phone says AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by blkballoon925
    I'm not that familiar with the UI in SE phones. In the Motorola phones that I'm used to there is a place where all of the SMS settings are located. I would look at the SE forums here on HoFo. I imagine somebody has already documented the information on there.
    Read my last post... Thats the 2 places you get to SMS settings (they are different) on SE phones.

He listed the same question in SE forums too..

Feedback Score
    Yea, sorry for posting here after i posted in the SE forums, people were just telling me to come over here and ask the question since it was more of an at&t issue aparently.
    I will try what you suggested once i see the woman later on tonight matt.
    Ive done everything so far, made sure the service center number is correct, took out the battery, and a number of other things and the damn E is still up there, my girl doesnt even have the edge on her plan so im not sure why its there.
    I also went into the at&t store and asked, the lady in there wasnt helpful at all and just said to go to the att site and look for the settings and make sur ethey are all correct, that and she said unbranded phones usualy have this problem, funny thing is ive owned 3 unlocked phones now and have never had any issues like this before.

EDIT: As to what you were saying matt, all the phone has in settings - connectivity - data comm in there is data accounts, prefered service, and then the sms you were talking about, in the sms there is only circuit switched or packet switched, not sure which setting it should be on in there.

As for the messageing - then settings in there, there is no sms options in there, just service center number, max message length and things of that nature.
    Thanks again for everyone trying to help out once again...

Phones
    3GS - nough said
    Carrier
    WTF? My phone says AT&T
    Feedback Score
    try changing the ps and cs options. I think PS is the one you want. (packet switched vs circuit switched) but what ever works...

The "E" is normal it just means that the phone is getting a EGSM signal (thats good).