Thread: MNC, MNC2, MNC3 questions

Phones
    Sony Ericsson W810i
    Sony Ericsson z525a
    Carrier
    Powertel->Voicestream->Sprint->AT&T
    Feedback Score

MNC, MNC2, MNC3 questions

I haven't been able to find much solid info on this via the web or a forum search. Could someone please educate me a bit on the difference between MNC2 & MNC3, and what it really means for me?

I ask because I unlocked the phone using a Chinese SIM card. When I followed the procedure, the only option was to select MNC2 under the 'Network' menu. The unlock was successful, and all is good.

After putting back in my AT&T card, I notice there is also an MNC3 option. Not being one to just go and screw things up, I figure I'll ask first. Will I need to do anything with the MNC3 stuff? i.e. if I take the phone somewhere else, thinking it's unlocked, will I find that it's actually partially locked? Should I take the instructions with me to unlock anytime that I travel, just in case?

Thanks,
    b

Phones
    N82 , N95-3 -8 gig's -- bone stock
    3GS - nough said
    SE K790a (R8BC004) w/ mod accoustic's and camera drv +vkp/qa2020 (SLD)
    Carrier
    WTF? My phone says AT&T
    Feedback Score
    im not real sure what they all mean, I just know that if you press

> * < < * < *

click service info then sim lock

if all those locks are open you can use ANY GSM sim..

are they all unlocked?
    AKA
    matts_w810i , Matts_K790a , MWP

Phones
    Sony Ericsson W810i
    Sony Ericsson z525a
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    When I enter into the 'Personalize' menu, there are the four sub-menus. Network, Network SP, and two others. All four have the unlocked lock next to them. It is when I descend into the menus, such as Network or Network SP that it shows me two radio buttons, MNC2 and MNC3.

I'm just curious what those are and whether anything else will ever need to be done with them. I had found one thing claiming they related to different frequency bands, hence my confusion to make sure everything is fully unlocked.

So by your statement, having the unlocked logo implies that I will not need to do anything else to use it with any network.

Thanks,
    b

Phones
    N82 , N95-3 -8 gig's -- bone stock
    3GS - nough said
    SE K790a (R8BC004) w/ mod accoustic's and camera drv +vkp/qa2020 (SLD)
    Carrier
    WTF? My phone says AT&T
    Feedback Score
    ya if all the locks are open -- its unlocked.

Carriers
    Fido, B-Mobile(Japan), Maxis, China Mobile HK,One2Free
    Bouygues, Vodafone Japan, TIM
    Feedback Score
    Your phone is properly unlocked.

MNC = Mobile Network Code , a number that represents a mobile network within a country

Also it is digits 4-5 or 4-5-6 of the IMSI , your SIM card's unique subscriber ID.

I speculate that when you want to LOCK your phone to a network, you need to specifcy which one (AT&T, China Mobile,...). According to the MNC listing, it is either 2 or 3 digit. China Mobile is 00, China Unicom 01 , AT&T 410

That's why when you used the Chinese SIM card, it's MNC2. When you put in the AT&T card, it's MNC3.

The following extract from the customization file also seem to suggest the same:
    <simlock>
    <number-of-mnc-digits>3</number-of-mnc-digits>
    <cnl>302720FFDD00</cnl>
    <cnl>302370FFDD00</cnl>
    <cnl>302720FF0000</cnl>
    <lock simlock-category="sp">
    <status>locked-to-cnl</status>
    <retries>5</retries>
    <autolock>false</autolock>
    </lock>
    </simlock>

Carriers
    Rogers/Fido/T-Mobile (US)
    Feedback Score

SE Unlock

Hi there:

I can veerify what was said in a prior post. if you have 'open padlocks', your phone is fully unlocked.

Question: You say you unlocked the phone using a Chinese SIM. I've heard of a special SIM from a Chinese company which, they claim, will unlock Nokia phones. Is the SIM you mention the same sort of thing?

Thanks for the info.

BJH

Phones
    Sony Ericsson W810i
    Sony Ericsson z525a
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for all the info!

My SIM card is not a special SIM card like you mention. I have not heard of one like that before. It's just a prepaid China Mobile card from my last vacation there, where we borrowed a friend's unlocked phone.

b

Phone
    sony ericsson W850i
    Carrier
    o2
    Feedback Score

Unhappy mnc2 codes

does anybody know the network lock code....all the other locks are unlocked except the network......does anybody know what number to put in to unlock it??