Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Payphone Text Messaging

Carrier
    Bell HSPA
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Payphone Text Messaging

Has anyone tried it out yet? Just noticed at school today that there was a new payphone with a ton more buttons (http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/5839/sspx0439rx5.jpg). It's 10 cents per message, or 25 cents for 5 messages. The only issue I have with this, is that when you're pressing the buttons, the letters come up on screen pretty slow, as if it were lagging.

PS: If there's another thread on this, sorry. The search function rarely works that great on this forum.

Phones
    Apple iPhone 5 64gb
    Blackberry Pearl 8130, Blackberry 7250
    Motorola Timeport p8767, Nokia 6185
    Carrier
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Yah, I've tried it - it does in fact work... I'm surprised to see they're still putting them in.
    Bell started putting them in around the time they began taking phones out - a few were replaced with these text models to try and capitalize on the SMS abilities it had.

I don't think it was particularly successful. I have, however, seen a line at a phone booth in South Carolina with a few kids waiting to use one down there - boy it looked anachronistic! It's been years since the last time I saw a queue of people waiting to use a pay phone in Toronto...
    Cheeri'o...
    Frankie...

Please Note: I do not work for Bell. I also do not work for any wireless retail outlet.
    Do not ask me about promotions or offers from wireless providers.

Phone
    HTC Touch White
    Carrier
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    after reading this thread from my phone, i walked down to the payphones at my school to check and its like "try out the new TTY/text messaging capabilities"

Phones
    Active: iPhone 4S (Telus), HTC Touch (Bell), BlackBerry Z10 (Rogers), Sony Xperia U (Fido)
    Retired: HTC Status, Desire HD, Diamond, P4000 / Moto Charm, W385, V2267/ BB 8520, 8220, 8310
    iPhone 3GS/ Nokia E71/ LG 8100, 520 / Audiovox 8900 / Sony Ericsson T206
    Carrier
    Telus, Bell, Rogers, Fido
    Feedback Score
    Looks pretty interesting. Although it is a bit late in the game. Very few people don't have a mobile phone.
    Five years on HowardsForums

Phones
    Apple iPhone 5 64gb
    Carrier
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jgon9
    Looks pretty interesting. Although it is a bit late in the game. Very few people don't have a mobile phone.

I'm guessing they're turning up more so now because Bell has finally gone through all of the "old stock" on the pre-SMS phones either due to repair/replacement or just depletion of stock... so they must have a bunch of the TTY models waiting to be put into use - so if there's an actual order for an install, that's what you'll get. True to the ways of large phone companies, they probable had a whole bunch at the back of their DIST warehouse saved for a rainy day.

I think it was really just a software update to the TTY phones to make them SMS capable - there's a TTY to SMS gateway in Bell's network that's being used for this... Anybody here fielding work for the Millennium support lines that can verify?

Feedback Score
    I saw one of these last week. It kinda surprised me, as I'm not accustomed to seeing a qwerty keyboard on a pay phone.

Feedback Score
    When sending an SMS, which number shows up?! The payphone number?!
    If so, what if someone tries to respond...?

Phones
    Apple iPhone 5 64gb
    Carrier
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jase88
    When sending an SMS, which number shows up?! The payphone number?!
    If so, what if someone tries to respond...?
    The one I used in the Carolinas did in fact show the payphone number as the "from" number for the text message.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by frankie5string
    The one I used in the Carolinas did in fact show the payphone number as the "from" number for the text message.
    Does it identify the message as originating from a public phone?

Phones
    Blackberry 9700
    Palm Pre
    Blackberry 8230
    Carrier
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    Probably not. And if I had to guess, i'd say if you replied, it would simply do the same thing as if you text'd a regular lan line. Play the text back in an automated voice.
    Work _________________________________Blackberry 9700

Twitter: @BBMacD-Where I will tweet new info when i'm too lazy to post it! (often)
    Former Bell Dealer
    Former Bell Mobility Employee

Phones
    Apple iPhone 5 64gb
    Carrier
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jase88
    Does it identify the message as originating from a public phone?
    No special identification was within the message... just a regular message with the payphone phone number as the "sent from" number...

Carrier
    Bell HSPA
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    When I sent a message to my cell phone (as a test) the message was this:

[Msg from Bell Payphone]

*message goes here*

And that's all. So it doesn't show the payphone phone number, it shows up as coming from noreply@bell.ca

Phone
    blackberry storm
    Carrier
    bell
    Feedback Score
    then how do u reply? are they telling u to just pay $0.25 to send out a msg to 5 different ppl?

Carrier
    Bell HSPA
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Correct. You cannot reply to the message. Even if you could, I wouldn't advise replying to a public payphone.

Phones
    Apple iPhone 5 64gb
    Carrier
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Interesting... so they're using a different TDD/TTY gateway than they had in the US... where I got the payphone number...

Ah well... It's kinda funny that they've branded it for SMS'ing... It was really supposed to be a rather lame attempt to add TTY to a payphone - but most deaf people I know carry a small keyboard device that works FAR better (and should, for $1200)... Leave it to Nortel to figure out how to squeeze more money out of people ;-)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast