Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Moto tethering with Mac OSX Leopard

Feedback Score

Moto tethering with Mac OSX Leopard

So I've been trying this for days now, and there is no successful way that I have found to tether either of my motorola phones (V360 and Z6) successfully with Leopard. I'm not sure if I need a modem script and that's the only issue, but if that's true, I haven't found one, and if it's not true, I have tried literally everything under the sun to get this to work. I've only tried bluetooth, but I'm not sure if it's even possible to do this via USB, although I'd be happy enough if I could get just that working. So far, the only success I've had tethering my macbook pro to my Z6 (the preferred phone) is by loading windows XP under parallels and tethering via USB (which works like a charm, since the XP modem driver is easy to come by)

So has anyone had any success tethering any moto phone under leopard? If so, please do share, this is really annoying me. I'd like to get this working ASAP. (If you care, I've got tmobile, but I'd like to hear experiences on any GSM network.)

Feedback Score

Thumbs up Works for me on Rogers

I assume you paired the phone and laptop. These are my settings on Rogers.
    It costs a lot, so I use it rarely.

In network preferences
    Telephone Number is blank
    Account name wapuser1
    Password wap

Click on advanced, Modem

Vendor Motorola
    Model GPRS
    APN internet.com
    CID 1

Feedback Score
    Which phone are you using, because that's one of the many configurations i've tried, and it fails every time with "modem error." I never use a Uname/PW because I'm not provided with any, but then again, under windows it still works fine without them.

Phones
    32GB iPhone 3GS
    Blackberry Bold 9000
    HTC Fuze
    Carriers
    AT&T (Current)
    Feedback Score
    I have successfully USB tethered a V3xx to my MacBook Pro running Leopard using the following settings:

Config: Default
    Phone Number: *99#
    Account Name: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
    Password: CINGULAR1

Click the Advanced button...
    Modem: Motorola
    Model: GPRS (GSM/3G)
    APN: wap.cingular
    CID: 1

Connect. Voila! Should work. Out of ALL THE CONFIGURATIONS I've tried, this is the only one that works.
    My settings for tethering a Motorola V3xx on AT&T to a Mac using OS X Leopard (10.5.5) via USB.
    Finally free from Verizon's bad-phone-UI & neutered phone penitentiary!

Feedback Score
    Thanks, but how did you get the phone recognized via usb in the first place? all I've ever been able to do is bluetooth. Moreover, I've tried those same settings adapted for tmobile, and they failed (specifically i've never seen an account name or password for tmo, but when on XP, i don't need one anyway. No matter what i try though, I still get "Modem Error")

Phones
    32GB iPhone 3GS
    Blackberry Bold 9000
    HTC Fuze
    Carriers
    AT&T (Current)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by galexyalex
    Thanks, but how did you get the phone recognized via usb in the first place? all I've ever been able to do is bluetooth. Moreover, I've tried those same settings adapted for tmobile, and they failed (specifically i've never seen an account name or password for tmo, but when on XP, i don't need one anyway. No matter what i try though, I still get "Modem Error")
    It should auto-recognize the phone once you hook it up via USB and go into your network settings.

Sorry about the server info I should've specified that I'm on AT&T. You'll want to get the server info for T-Mobile's data services.

Feedback Score
    Ok then, it must be some driver issue with just these phones, since I get no auto recognition at all.

Phones
    32GB iPhone 3GS
    Blackberry Bold 9000
    HTC Fuze
    Carriers
    AT&T (Current)
    Feedback Score
    You might need to search for a V3xx driver online if you're running Windows XP. In fact, you probably have to. That's what I had to do to SEEM edit my V3xx on my PC.

However, for OS X Leopard 10.5.2 it should auto-detect it.

Feedback Score
    Okay, I'm new but ran into this thread and I am having the same problem. I just updated to Leopard. Previously, it was working just fine using a modem script I downloaded. It was from Sprint. Then I used:
    Number: #777
    Account: [Your Number]@alltel.net
    Password: [Your Number]

And worked just fine. Now, I updated and it reads "....Can't Be Found". No idea. I'm assuming its the modem script I'm using right now too. Help!

Phones
    32GB iPhone 3GS
    Blackberry Bold 9000
    HTC Fuze
    Carriers
    AT&T (Current)
    Feedback Score
    Does Leopard recognize your phone? If so it should be able to connect.

However, I only have experience with AT&T and my RAZR V3xx as far as tethering so I don't know if I can be much help.

Phones
    Samsung u750 (Alias 2)
    Motorola w385
    Motorola e815, <3
    Carrier
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Hey...this is my problem as well; Leopard simply does not recognize my phone (a Motorola w385) when I plug in the USB cable.

I have the bluetooth tethering all set up, and my DUN works fantastically...but it won't work over USB. The issue is, for some reason, when the phone is plugged into the computer via USB, I can't use bluetooth DUN...hence, if my phone is out of batteries (as it was this morning), I can plug it in to charge and make calls from, but not to DUN via bluetooth.

So, I went back to the basics, and re-followed the instructions at http://homepage.mac.com/jrc/contrib/mobile_office/ which are awesome for USB tethering...but really, it just expected my phone to be recognized by Leopard...and it wasn't.

Any help? Ideas?

Feedback Score
    Here is your Answer for the MAC
    http://www.everythingq.com/forum/mot...ons-21435.html

Here is your answer for windows. Both from me
    http://www.modaco.com/content/motoro...9h-as-a-modem/

Phones
    Samsung u750 (Alias 2)
    Motorola w385
    Motorola e815, <3
    Carrier
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Actually, I already had bluetooth tethering set up, as I said in my message...my question was about USB cable tethering. Do you have any thoughts or experience with the USB option? Which is to say, connecting the phone to the computer with a USB cable?

USB is more desirable to me than bluetooth, because there is lower internet latency, and because that allows me to charge my phone while it is plugged in.

Feedback Score
    Well I would have to write a script for it be seen by isync, and since I got this mac last week I might take me another week to understand what I'm looking at. Now, I'm VMWARE beta 2 with XP and the tethering works, I prefer bluetooth just because I hate carrying cables.

Jason,

If you can find away to make isync see it than it will work, otherwise..

Feedback Score
    The problem is that those settings don't work for T-Mobile, and while i have settings that work on windows, they omit UN/Pass and for some peculiar reason refuse to work under mac.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast