Thread: NET10 VS Tracfone Coverage

Phone
    Motorola W370
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

NET10 VS Tracfone Coverage

New member and first post.

I read that Net10 and Tracfone's coverage is the same? But, when I look on their coverage maps on their web sites (46158 zip code) they are significantly different. Net10's coverage looks like is a lot less, especially in the west. We travel lot are planning a trip to the Badlands, Yellowstone and Glacier NP in the fall. We currently have Verizon and have had good coverage in our trips.

We do not use our cellphones a lot want to switch to a pay as you go service.

I just bought a Tracfone (Motorola W370)to try it out based on their coverage map. The other carriers seemed to have limited coverage for their pay-as-you go service vs Tracfone?

What has been your experience with coverage in the west? Which map is more realistic - Net10 or Tracfone?

I almost did not buy the Tracfone because of the very poor reviews on their customer service. It almost seemed liked they were "ripping off" their customers (which is hard to believe they could still be in business if that was the case). Any comments their service or losing minutes you had paid for?

Thanks,

Carriers
    Net 10 (U S Cellular)
    Page Plus (Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cheap1
    New member and first post.

I read that Net10 and Tracfone's coverage is the same? But, when I look on their coverage maps on their web sites (46158 zip code) they are significantly different. Net10's coverage looks like is a lot less, especially in the west. We travel lot are planning a trip to the Badlands, Yellowstone and Glacier NP in the fall. We currently have Verizon and have had good coverage in our trips.

We do not use our cellphones a lot want to switch to a pay as you go service.

I just bought a Tracfone (Motorola W370)to try it out based on their coverage map. The other carriers seemed to have limited coverage for their pay-as-you go service vs Tracfone?

What has been your experience with coverage in the west? Which map is more realistic - Net10 or Tracfone?

I almost did not buy the Tracfone because of the very poor reviews on their customer service. It almost seemed liked they were "ripping off" their customers (which is hard to believe they could still be in business if that was the case). Any comments their service or losing minutes you had paid for?

Thanks,
    Net 10 is GSM, look at a AT&T map ( not as good coverage as CDMA)
    I would get a CDMA Tracfone. Depending on the Zip code you use when you activate it, you probably will get U S Cellular or Verizon service. Both should work good because TF will use just about any CDMA carrier out there. If you say Verizon definately works good where you will be, I would pick a Zip that will give you Verizon service.
    Men usually die before their wives because they want to...

Feedback Score
    Net10 and Tracfone are the same company, and the coverage will be the same. The coverage maps on the net10 website are older. For the most accurate coverage maps, you should probably go to the websites of the underlying carriers (AT&T, T-mobile, Verizon, etc.).

Most experience is that there is better CDMA coverage than GSM coverage in the mountain west. Both Tracfone and Net10 have both GSM and CDMA phones. This is newer for Net10; I think there are only 2 models (Kyocera 126C and LG 200C). It may be harder to find good deals on these than on tracfones.

There are rough spots to TF/Net10's customer service that frustrate a good number of people - and result in some very visible bad reviews. You can get quite reasonably priced phone service from them. Generally you can get better deals and rates with TF, especially if you are willing to spend time researching out the deals and bonus codes. Net10 can be a better deal if you use enough minutes. The 300 free minutes on activation of a new phone can make it a good deal for a temporary phone (like for a vacation).

Phones
    iPhone 4 VZW - Nokia 2126 TracFone
    iPhone 4 - Nokia 2126
    Carriers
    1. GWI iLine
    3. ex- AT&terrible
    Feedback Score
    Considering rural New England ... If you want the broadets coverage area, the best = TracFone with a CDMA phone.

Just tested it the other week in a couple locations in ME with a TF GSM.

While TracFone GSM serves a way bigger service area here than ATT GoPhone GSM (due to ATT's native network limitation for their prepaid GoPhone) TracFone CDMA works better than TracFone GSM in the foothills & mountains, where there are not many GSM towers yet. Cost benefit ratio of installing new towers in a state with a million something residents.

Downside of Net 10 to me also was the 6 month expiration.
    It's getting the signal that matters.

GoPhone Caution: AT&T / Cingular GoPhone = No Roaming
    Our Nokia CDMA TracFones boldly go anywhere and make calls beyond where we only dreamed to get a signal with Cingular / AT&T

Phone
    LG VX5500 X2 (PPC) - LG800g (TF) - Nokia 6030 (T-Mo)
    Carriers
    Page Plus X2 (Verizon) - T-Mo2Go(GR) -
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by icerabbit
    Downside of Net 10 to me also was the 6 month expiration.

This was discussed some time ago here and I think it was concluded Net10 due dates stack like Tracfone.

Carriers
    Net 10 (U S Cellular)
    Page Plus (Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    Hey ! Good web site for Tracfone promo codes.

http://z7.invisionfree.com/Go4Prepai...iew=getnewpost

Carriers
    Net 10 (U S Cellular)
    Page Plus (Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by phone_bob
    Net10 and Tracfone are the same company, and the coverage will be the same. The coverage maps on the net10 website are older. For the most accurate coverage maps, you should probably go to the websites of the underlying carriers (AT&T, T-mobile, Verizon, etc.).

Most experience is that there is better CDMA coverage than GSM coverage in the mountain west. Both Tracfone and Net10 have both GSM and CDMA phones. This is newer for Net10; I think there are only 2 models (Kyocera 126C and LG 200C). It may be harder to find good deals on these than on tracfones.

There are rough spots to TF/Net10's customer service that frustrate a good number of people - and result in some very visible bad reviews. You can get quite reasonably priced phone service from them. Generally you can get better deals and rates with TF, especially if you are willing to spend time researching out the deals and bonus codes. Net10 can be a better deal if you use enough minutes. The 300 free minutes on activation of a new phone can make it a good deal for a temporary phone (like for a vacation).
    I checked all of their phones (Net 10) on their web site and they are all GSM, I used PhoneScoop for specs http://www.phonescoop.com/

Phones
    iPhone 4 VZW - Nokia 2126 TracFone
    iPhone 4 - Nokia 2126
    Carriers
    1. GWI iLine
    3. ex- AT&terrible
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 25jive1
    This was discussed some time ago here and I think it was concluded Net10 due dates stack like Tracfone.
    Yes, Net10 will stack.

My point was that with TracFone you can buy a $100 refill card good for one year while with Net10 you buy a $100 refill card good for 6 months.

Thus for limited use, based on refill needs & frequency, TF is cheaper and easier.

TF = 1 yr = $100 - vs - Net10 = 1 yr = $200 ($100/6mo x 2)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HATMAN
    I checked all of their phones (Net 10) on their web site and they are all GSM, I used PhoneScoop for specs http://www.phonescoop.com/
    If you go to the net10 website, choose "BUY PHONES" and give them a zip code where they prefer to sell GSM phones, it will show only GSM phones. If you give them a CDMA-only zip (like 84501), it will show it will show only 2 CDMA models. If you just choose "PHONES" from the home page's menu on the left, it will show all models.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by icerabbit
    My point was that with TracFone you can buy a $100 refill card good for one year while with Net10 you buy a $100 refill card good for 6 months.

Thus for limited use, based on refill needs & frequency, TF is cheaper and easier.

TF = 1 yr = $100 - vs - Net10 = 1 yr = $200 ($100/6mo x 2)
    Agreed - tracfone is cheaper for low usage. The specific prices above aren't necessarily the best for either tracfone or net10.

Most net10 cards come to $180 for 360 days of service. You can sometimes find a $150/ 1 year card, but they are not very common. The $100/180 day card happens to be the worst deal they offer.

With TF you can get 360 days for $80 (4 60min cards). When they offer the cards as "two-fers" (2 cards plus a free phone for $20) the cost drops in half. If you need service days without minutes you can also sign up for $5/month (the "lifeline" plan), or buy an extra year for $50 when buying airtime online from them ($70 for 60 minutes and 455 days).

Phone
    Motorola W370
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the quick replies.

So, it looks like my Tracfone Motorola W370 will have good coverage out west. If the map is half way correct, we should have the same coverage as Verizon when we travel.

When our contract with Verizon expires in June, it looks like Tracfone will be my best choice. I like all the coupons. Still a little concerned about their service issues. But hopefully I will have a positive experience with them over the next two months before our contract ends. Looking forward to significantly lowering our monthly cellphone cost.
    Thanks again.

Phone
    LG VX5500 X2 (PPC) - LG800g (TF) - Nokia 6030 (T-Mo)
    Carriers
    Page Plus X2 (Verizon) - T-Mo2Go(GR) -
    Feedback Score
    My wife has been a Verizon post paid customer for 4 years. I can't talk her into prepaid. They auto withdraw her payment from the bank account...she says she does not want to be bothered with due dates and refills.
    We've done a lot of traveling with her phone over the years and I must say I'm very impressed with VZW coverage everywhere we've been.
    I may have gotten good coverage with a GSM Trac but knowing what my wifes phone has done I chose to put the effort into getting a CDMA Trac to activate on the VZW network even tho GSM is all Trac offers in my zip code.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the quick replies.

So, it looks like my Tracfone Motorola W370 will have good coverage out west. If the map is half way correct, we should have the same coverage as Verizon when we travel.

When our contract with Verizon expires in June, it looks like Tracfone will be my best choice. I like all the coupons. Still a little concerned about their service issues. But hopefully I will have a positive experience with them over the next two months before our contract ends. Looking forward to significantly lowering our monthly cellphone cost.
    Thanks again.
    Note that your W370 is a GSM phone, while Verizon's network is CDMA. Thus the W370 cannot roam on Verizon (they are incompatible technologies), and you will not get the same coverage as Verizon.

It is possible that you will get comparable (or even better) coverage than Verizon - at least in some places. Most likely you will not get as good coverage in rural areas of Montana and Wyoming. If you stick to the major highways, perhaps you will.

Phone
    Motorola W370
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    How do tell which phones are CDMA? I was going by the coverage map for 46158 for the W370 on the TF web site?

Feedback Score
    How do tell which phones are CDMA? I was going by the coverage map for 46158 for the W370 on the TF web site?
    If you look at that webpage with the coverage map, the phones listed under the left column (National Coverage) are CDMA. The ones listed under the right column (Single Rate) are GSM. There may be a few older models that aren't on the list but you can find used.

Older CDMA phones charge 2 units per minutes while roaming. This is a significant drawback if you are getting the phone for its ability to roam on different rural CDMA networks. Not so much of a drawback if you only want it for emergency use while traveling, but significant if you want to use it while traveling. The CDMA models that do not charge double for roaming are:
    • Nokia 2126i (The "i is significant, 2126 charges for roaming)
    • LG 200C
    • LG 3280
    • Kyocera 126C

No GSM phones charge extra for roaming (hence the marketing name "single rate").

There are also differences in costs for text messaging on different models. You can search the archives or ask for more details - if that's a significant usage for you.

The maps shown on the TF website for the 2 technologies are an apples-to-oranges comparison. The CDMA maps only show you the local area in which your phone is activated. The GSM maps show you the carrier's national network. That difference is not meaningful. Phones of both technologies will have access to the carrier's entire network, plus roam on the networks of other carriers with the same technology.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast