Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Page Plus Roaming Information.

Feedback Score

Page Plus Roaming Information.

I have been reading this forum. It depends on the type of phone that you have.

The Best phone is Tri-Mode CDMA model, It does not mater what brand, I think they can activate any of them.

Here are the rates

CDMA Tri-Mode phone, will be able to make calls and receive calls at the home rate, nationwide, as long as they are within the VZW coverage. Roaming outside VZW coverage, and roaming within VZW coverage with a non-compatible phone, will cost $0.99 per minute.

A CDMA Dual Mode phone (supports CDMA/ANALOG), will be able to make calls and receive calls at the home rate everywhere within the VZW coverage except for the VZW markets that operate on PCS technology such as Florida and Texas. Roaming outside VZW coverage, and roaming within VZW coverage with a non-compatible phone, will cost $0.59 per minute.

A customer with a CDMA Dual Band phone (supports CDMA/PCS), will be able to make calls and receive calls at the home rate everywhere within the VZW coverage except for the VZW markets that operate only on Analog technology. Roaming outside VZW coverage, and roaming within VZW coverage with a non-compatible phone, will cost $0.99 per minute.

Myself, Verizon has pretty good coverage. Along the Indiana/Ohio board near union city, in,oh it may roam on the Sprint/Nextel network. I have not verified that yet but comparing coverage maps, it seem where this is no Verizon. It Sprint/Nextel.

Feedback Score
    Soon a triband phone with analog will do you no good. As verizon is in the process of turning analog off. It is going away. Don't know why, and also the the Iden network is going away soon too.

Phone
    LG VX5500 X2 (PPC) - LG800g (TF) - Nokia 6030 (T-Mo)
    Carriers
    Page Plus X2 (Verizon) - T-Mo2Go(GR) -
    Feedback Score
    Page Plus and roaming charges are a sore subject with me.
    The roaming triangle showed all the way through eastern Oklahoma, from north to south on a recent trip. VZW native was good in Texas on the interstates where we traveled and where we stayed on South Padre.
    I lost VZW native again when I left Beamont Texas headed north through Louisiana and Arkansas. I never found it again till I got 1/2 way through Missouri headed north.
    We are making the same trip next year...(retired winter Texans). Call me tight, call me cheap, call me anything you want...but I hate to pay 5X the price to make a call. I just got a CDMA Tracfone activated on VZW that does not charge extra to roam.
    Where we camp PP is roaming. Most in our group have VZW post paid phones....it disgusts me to watch others talk on the phone while I have the silly triangle showing.
    I like the phone I have on PP, I have a bunch of minutes on it. I feel I must keep it going but when I travel I'm just gonna turn it off.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyeman
    Soon a triband phone with analog will do you no good. As verizon is in the process of turning analog off. It is going away. Don't know why, and also the the Iden network is going away soon too.
    Yeah, as long as you have a tri-mode phone you should not have a problem even outside Verizon coverage area.

Also, they can not shut analog/Iden totally off. According to the FCC, the must keep 911 activated.

That why pageplus has different rates.

Triband phones supports CDMA/PCS/ANALOG
    Dualband Phones supports CDMA/PCS
    DualMode Phones supports CDMA/ANALOG

There were always be areas where there is Analog. (Some tv stations will still be allowed to broadcast in analog in some areas even after the required switch-Digital will not work there)

Myself I am using Audiovox 8600 tri-mode.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 25jive1
    Page Plus and roaming charges are a sore subject with me.
    The roaming triangle showed all the way through eastern Oklahoma, from north to south on a recent trip. VZW native was good in Texas on the interstates where we traveled and where we stayed on South Padre.
    I lost VZW native again when I left Beamont Texas headed north through Louisiana and Arkansas. I never found it again till I got 1/2 way through Missouri headed north.
    We are making the same trip next year...(retired winter Texans). Call me tight, call me cheap, call me anything you want...but I hate to pay 5X the price to make a call. I just got a CDMA Tracfone activated on VZW that does not charge extra to roam.
    Where we camp PP is roaming. Most in our group have VZW post paid phones....it disgusts me to watch others talk on the phone while I have the silly triangle showing.
    I like the phone I have on PP, I have a bunch of minutes on it. I feel I must keep it going but when I travel I'm just gonna turn it off.
    You need a tri-mode phone (See my other post). Also, you may occasionally need to update your phone. Roaming locations change monthly. I would call the right before you go on a trip. Ask them how to update roaming locations. They should give you a code. Do this in your home area.

Otherwise, It is .59 or .99 depending if your in the verizon coverage area.

If you talk regularly I would recommend a net 10 phone. Otherwise, Page plus will do just fine. I only make a few calls.

partially off topic
    I wonder what networks the google phone will use and will it be really free to use for everyone with no time limits? This might hurt pageplus.

Phones
    Razr V3M
    Motorola W385
    Feedback Score
    What good will a trimode phone do you?Verizon has already started to turn off its analog sytems and Alltel will start on 4-1-08 So a trimode phone will only work on digital soon.The only thing you will be able to use is digital and pcs bands.

Phone
    Carriers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gpatrick900
    You need a tri-mode phone (See my other post). Also, you may occasionally need to update your phone. Roaming locations change monthly. I would call the right before you go on a trip. Ask them how to update roaming locations. They should give you a code. Do this in your home area.

Otherwise, It is .59 or .99 depending if your in the verizon coverage area.

If you talk regularly I would recommend a net 10 phone. Otherwise, Page plus will do just fine. I only make a few calls.

partially off topic
    I wonder what networks the google phone will use and will it be really free to use for everyone with no time limits? This might hurt pageplus.
    I update my PRL regularly.
    But update to what....roaming is roaming.
    It costs 5X whatever your CPM is.
    PP is my main phone. Its the number everybody has, its a good number, easy to dial and remember. I like the phone I use on PP, I've used it so long hardly anything hides from me in the menu. Its so much better than the cheap little nasty Tracfones....but the Tracs do talk.
    I like PP, its cheap and somewhat easy to use. If I lived east of here where roaming is not a concern I'd probably be tickled. Check the PP coverage map, look at Kansas City, you'll see that any direction I go I'm roaming. And the map aint accurate. 15 miles up I35 I'm roaming. Its a city phone...thats all.
    They've forced me into the arms of their competitor

Feedback Score
    I have been reading this forum. It depends on the type of phone that you have.

The Best phone is Tri-Mode CDMA model, It does not mater what brand, I think they can activate any of them.

Here are the rates

CDMA Tri-Mode phone, will be able to make calls and receive calls at the home rate, nationwide, as long as they are within the VZW coverage. Roaming outside VZW coverage, and roaming within VZW coverage with a non-compatible phone, will cost $0.99 per minute.

A CDMA Dual Mode phone (supports CDMA/ANALOG), will be able to make calls and receive calls at the home rate everywhere within the VZW coverage except for the VZW markets that operate on PCS technology such as Florida and Texas. Roaming outside VZW coverage, and roaming within VZW coverage with a non-compatible phone, will cost $0.59 per minute.

A customer with a CDMA Dual Band phone (supports CDMA/PCS), will be able to make calls and receive calls at the home rate everywhere within the VZW coverage except for the VZW markets that operate only on Analog technology. Roaming outside VZW coverage, and roaming within VZW coverage with a non-compatible phone, will cost $0.99 per minute.

Myself, Verizon has pretty good coverage. Along the Indiana/Ohio board near union city, in,oh it may roam on the Sprint/Nextel network. I have not verified that yet but comparing coverage maps, it seem where this is no Verizon. It Sprint/Nextel.
    I'm confused. How much will it cost me to roam on another network with the Samsung SCH-U410?

Phone
    Palm Pixi Plus (Page Plus)
    Carriers
    Page Plus,
    Feedback Score
    Sorry gpatrick, but your roaming information is outdated, thus incorrect.

The base "off-network" roaming rate is $.59 and it goes down from there depending on your funny money mix. It can be as low as $.28 with $80 cards. The type of phone has nothing to do with "off-network" roaming rates. However, the type of phone may impact whether you roam or not.

"In-Network" roaming has no extra charge.
    You either have coverage or you have Sprint native, you can't have both.

PAYG rules; contracts are for fools.

Phone
    Carriers
    Page Plus,
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by intec
    I'm confused. How much will it cost me to roam on another network with the Samsung SCH-U410?
    See my previous post. The roaming rate is the same regardless of the type of phone you have.

As stated, roaming is $.59 -> $.28; the actual charge depends on your funny money mix.

As 25jive1 previously stated, a roaming call will deduct 5 minutes for each 1 minute of actual talk time (rounded up). This equation is consistent regardless of funny money mix.
    Last edited by dmart; 03-30-2008 at 06:34 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dmart
    Sorry gpatrick, but your roaming information is outdated, thus incorrect.

The base "off-network" roaming rate is $.59 and it goes down from there depending on your funny money mix. It can be as low as $.28 with $80 cards. The type of phone has nothing to do with "off-network" roaming rates. However, the type of phone may impact whether you roam or not.

"In-Network" roaming has no extra charge.
    If I get the Samsung SCH-U410, will I be able to roam? What is the difference between In-Network and Off-Network roaming? Will it show the roaming icon for both? Will a flashing roaming icon mean one thing and a solid one mean another? It will only be 59 cents and less for Off-Network roaming, correct?

Edit: You said the roaming "rate" is the same for all phones, but is the roaming "coverage" the same?

Phone
    Carriers
    Page Plus,
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by intec
    If I get the Samsung SCH-U410, will I be able to roam? What is the difference between In-Network and Off-Network roaming? Will it show the roaming icon for both? Will a flashing roaming icon mean one thing and a solid one mean another? It will only be 59 cents and less for Off-Network roaming, correct?

Edit: You said the roaming "rate" is the same for all phones, but is the roaming "coverage" the same?
    Yes, you can roam with the U410 if Page Plus (actually VZW) has a roaming agreement with the provider that you are attempting to connect with.

For Page Plus, if the roaming indicator is on (flashing or steady), you will most likely be charged for roaming and will need to double dial for outgoing calls. Flashing vs. steady really only has meaning with VZW postpaid.

In-Network roaming is really just a carryover from when most cell plans were local. If you roamed out of your local plan area, but were still on the providers network, you were charged a roaming rate. Since almost all cell plans now have the same rates within the provider's network, there really is no in-network roaming anymore. The roaming triangle does not show for in-network roaming.

Off-Network roaming is off your provider's network and not included in your base plan rate. You will be charged a roaming rate.

I could totally confuse you by adding Extended Network and included off-network roaming but I wont. This doesn't apply to Page Plus.

Note that this explanation is for Page Plus. Other providers handle roaming differently. For example, T-Mobile to Go includes some off-network roaming for no extra charge.
    Last edited by dmart; 03-30-2008 at 08:01 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 25jive1
    I update my PRL regularly.
    But update to what....roaming is roaming.
    It costs 5X whatever your CPM is.
    PP is my main phone. Its the number everybody has, its a good number, easy to dial and remember. I like the phone I use on PP, I've used it so long hardly anything hides from me in the menu. Its so much better than the cheap little nasty Tracfones....but the Tracs do talk.
    I like PP, its cheap and somewhat easy to use. If I lived east of here where roaming is not a concern I'd probably be tickled. Check the PP coverage map, look at Kansas City, you'll see that any direction I go I'm roaming. And the map aint accurate. 15 miles up I35 I'm roaming. Its a city phone...thats all.
    They've forced me into the arms of their competitor

Try this setting
    If you use automatic b change to automatic a
    If you use automatic a change to automatic b

If that still has you roaming. Trying changing it to Home only. This should force it to use a tower that works. I think the towers are competing against you. I was looking at the verizon coverage map. Note, every time you update the PRL you will need to change it back. When using home only, you will not be able to roam.

I didn't realize page plus change the rates. I was going by there old website. The roaming rates are cheaper now.

Phone
    Carriers
    Feedback Score
    Try this setting
    If you use automatic b change to automatic a
    If you use automatic a change to automatic b

If that still has you roaming. Trying changing it to Home only. This should force it to use a tower that works. I think the towers are competing against you. I was looking at the verizon coverage map. Note, every time you update the PRL you will need to change it back. When using home only, you will not be able to roam.

I didn't realize page plus change the rates. I was going by there old website. The roaming rates are cheaper now.
    I don't think you and I are on the same page (no pun intended)
    I don't have a problem getting a signal. I get a signal nearly everywhere. When I'm outside of native VZW territory my roaming triangle is visable. When the triangle is visible my CPM is 5X what it is when the triangle is not visible. Making or receiving calls is never a problem...The 5X is the problem

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dmart
    Yes, you can roam with the U410 if Page Plus (actually VZW) has a roaming agreement with the provider that you are attempting to connect with.

For Page Plus, if the roaming indicator is on (flashing or steady), you will most likely be charged for roaming and will need to double dial for outgoing calls. Flashing vs. steady really only has meaning with VZW postpaid.

In-Network roaming is really just a carryover from when most cell plans were local. If you roamed out of your local plan area, but were still on the providers network, you were charged a roaming rate. Since almost all cell plans now have the same rates within the provider's network, there really is no in-network roaming anymore. The roaming triangle does not show for in-network roaming.

Off-Network roaming is off your provider's network and not included in your base plan rate. You will be charged a roaming rate.

I could totally confuse you by adding Extended Network and included off-network roaming but I wont. This doesn't apply to Page Plus.

Note that this explanation is for Page Plus. Other providers handle roaming differently. For example, T-Mobile to Go includes some off-network roaming for no extra charge.
    Thank you.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast