Thread: Cancel Account Due To Death

Phones
    RAZR
    Blackberry 7100i
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Cancel Account Due To Death

I am writing asking for guidence from any VZW employees. My best friend of 12 years was killed this week. He was not married, no kids, no will, no power of attorney. I am trying to help his parents sort out all his affairs. He has a Verizon phone that is under contract till 12/08. Will VZW waive the ETF in the event of death? If so, what is the process? What is needed?

Thanks for any help.

Phones
    Blackberry 9700
    HTC Inspire 4G
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by a191042
    I am writing asking for guidence from any VZW employees. My best friend of 12 years was killed this week. He was not married, no kids, no will, no power of attorney. I am trying to help his parents sort out all his affairs. He has a Verizon phone that is under contract till 12/08. Will VZW waive the ETF in the event of death? If so, what is the process? What is needed?

Thanks for any help.
    They will waive the ETF in event of a death and you/his parents would have to call in the CS and explain the situation and they would need a death certificate to make sure your not just trying to get out of the contract and thats basically it. Hope this helps and I'm sorry for your loss, losing a best friend is not easy

Phones
    BlackBerry 8330 Curve
    Blackberry 8130 Pearl
    Samsung U470 Red
    Carrier
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    wrong forum

sorry for your loss <-- added so I don't sound like a heartless *******

Phones
    HTC Touch
    HTC Mogul
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Condolences, but wrong forum.

Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    i'm sorry to hear about your loss....

who cares if it's the wrong forum...just call verizon and tell them he is deceased and they will have you fax a copy of the death certificate and the ETF will be waived with that proof.

Phones
    Moto Droid (Me)
    Alias 2 (wife)
    Boulder (son)
    Carriers
    Verizon (since 2006);
    Feedback Score
    Yes, my condolences to you and your family. Its been a while since I dealt with a death in CS, but it might even be possible the death certificate could be waived. Don't quote me on that one though.
    I am no longer an employee of VZW, I left on good terms and still think VZW is the best network in the U.S. and most helpful CSR's in any industry.

God Bless our U.S. Military.

Phones
    Samsung Rogue
    Orange Boulder
    Env, V325
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (LGE-VX9900/1.0 UP.Browser/6.2.3.2 (GUI) MMP/2.0)

sorry for your loss...i lost one of my friends too....vzw will take care of you...
    Computer

Cell Phone w/USB

Boulder Ringtones

Phones
    Apple iPhone 4 32GB
    Apple iPhone 4 32GB
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    It's actually the right forum... This is the VZW forum and he had a question about how to handle a VZW account.
    We are [TheBORG]. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.
    * FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER! *
    "There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."

Phones
    Casio G'zOne Boulder in Orange with front speaker on The Network baby!
    Apple iPhone 5s 64GB Space Gray on AT&T
    Sony Ericsson w810i on T-Mobile
    Carriers
    Nextel was a thriving culture within a company and Sprint SINGLE HANDILY DESTROYED IT.
    When you watch something you LOVE so much die such a painful death, it makes moving on IMPOSSIBLE.
    Feedback Score

Exclamation

Awww man this really sucks. I just shed a tear for you. I hope everything works out ok for you. I didn't lose my best friend to death earlier this year but I did lose him because his parents didn't want him to have anything to do with me anymore (totally unjustified and sudden, I didn't do anything to cause it, honestly, but nevertheless) so I feel for you and will say a prayer tonight for you and your friends family.

Anyway, all I believe is required as many have stated above, is a death certificate.

Again, I hope all is well, keep your head up and REMEMBER THERE ARE OTHERS OUT THERE THAT CARE FOR/ABOUT YOUR SITUATION.
    I am looking to take over a former *Centennial Wireless* Account that was converted to *VERIZON*. Preferably one with a data card, but I won't discriminate if it's a voice plan with a dumbphone/smartphone/whatever. If it's a former Centennial Account and is now a VERIZON account, but still has the Centennial Plan on it, then I AM INTERESTED!

FINALLY reached my 6,000th post on Monday February 28th, 2011 at 2:23 A.M. EST.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by [TheBORG]
    It's actually the right forum... This is the VZW forum and he had a question about how to handle a VZW account.
    It was originally posted in the VZW employee sub-forum. (I really wish that if/when threads were moved/modified/closed there'd be a note made in them about it, and hopefully with at least a very short explanation about it--it'd certainly make things more straightforward and overall better.)

Feedback Score
    have a family member go to a verizon store (not a CC, reg store), state to them the situation. they will ask you for a copy of the death certificate and they can fax it in to the correct department. verizon will send a final bill out, and cancel service with no ETF

verizon cancels service with no ETF for the following reasons

Death
    Permanent disability (vegetative state, permanent nursing home, mental disease or defect such as dimentia, alzheimers, etc....power of attorney is required)
    Military leave (if orders exceed contract end date)
    Change of financial responsibility
    Customer relations issues
    Fraudulent use
    Fraudulent activation of services
    Computer or sales person error
    Moving to an area where verizon wireless does not provide local service (proof of residency required)

there are a few others but are mostly internal change type stuff. IIRC, death is number 1 on the M&P list since it would be the most common.

dont worry.... if you have paperwork, verizon does NOT mess around with death claims.

BTW, i wouldnt really consider it to be in the wrong forum if it was in the employee section, as asking an employee would be the best source of info relating to his question due to his loss. so maybe you all can get off his nuts for posting this in a place where it made the most sense IMO.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tackle
    have a family member go to a verizon store (not a CC, reg store), state to them the situation. they will ask you for a copy of the death certificate and they can fax it in to the correct department. verizon will send a final bill out, and cancel service with no ETF

verizon cancels service with no ETF for the following reasons

Death
    Permanent disability (vegetative state, permanent nursing home, mental disease or defect such as dimentia, alzheimers, etc....power of attorney is required)
    Military leave (if orders exceed contract end date)
    Change of financial responsibility
    Customer relations issues
    Fraudulent use
    Fraudulent activation of services
    Computer or sales person error
    Moving to an area where verizon wireless does not provide local service (proof of residency required)

there are a few others but are mostly internal change type stuff. IIRC, death is number 1 on the M&P list since it would be the most common.

dont worry.... if you have paperwork, verizon does NOT mess around with death claims.

BTW, i wouldnt really consider it to be in the wrong forum if it was in the employee section, as asking an employee would be the best source of info relating to his question due to his loss. so maybe you all can get off his nuts for posting this in a place where it made the most sense IMO.
    No one was one anyone's "nuts" (seriously, a better choice of words couldn't be used, especially in a thread like this?). The employee sub-forum doesn't function the way that some users simply feel like it should, it functions the way it's defined in the rules (which isn't for users to ask employees questions). Nothing more, nothing less. No one made a big deal about any of it, it was simply and properly (and nicely) pointed out without anything more to it, at least until people decided to concentrate on that one part of it and not let it go for no reason at all. I think we can get back on topic now.

Phones
    Apple iPhone 4 32GB
    Apple iPhone 4 32GB
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Comrade DM
    It was originally posted in the VZW employee sub-forum. (I really wish that if/when threads were moved/modified/closed there'd be a note made in them about it, and hopefully with at least a very short explanation about it--it'd certainly make things more straightforward and overall better.)

That would help...

Phones
    MOT Droid Mini,
    Home Phone Connect,
    MOT Droid 3,
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cronaldo
    ... and they would need a death certificate ...
    I went through this a year or so ago. The CS I spoke with, did not need any confirmation. She just expressed her sympathy, and closed the account at the end of the current billing cycle. Possibly, written verification is only at the CS's discretion?

Phones
    HTC Touch
    HTC Mogul
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by [TheBORG]

It's in the right forum now, after it was moved out of the VZW employee subforum

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast