Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Does 3G improve call quality?

Phone
    SE c905a (debranded baby!)
    Carrier
    ATT
    Feedback Score

Does 3G improve call quality?

I have an unbranded s500i on the ATT network and have been fairly happy with my call reception - don't use the internet enough to care about having 3G speed. However I bought a k850 and thought the call quality was superior to the s500 when on the 3G network.

Is this the case? I thought that 3G only applied to internet speed and swear that the call quality 'improved' to justify my $500 purchase

Phones
    Sony Ericsson Xperia X1|HTC Fuze
    Too much more to mention...
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Yea, it uses a different frequency altogether.
    1000 posts 08/15/07 @ 12:02am / 2K posts 05/22/08 @ 10:47pm
    Sony Ericsson K850i speedtest

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bigb252
    Not even close to true. Along with some other reasons (such as not using AMR-HR), the main reason why 3G sounds better is because it's not as overcrowded as 2G. GSM sounded exactly the same when it first introduced.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by snvyas
    I have an unbranded s500i on the ATT network and have been fairly happy with my call reception - don't use the internet enough to care about having 3G speed. However I bought a k850 and thought the call quality was superior to the s500 when on the 3G network.

Is this the case? I thought that 3G only applied to internet speed and swear that the call quality 'improved' to justify my $500 purchase
    3G is voice and data evolution. When on the GSM network like other people have said, they typically force the phone to use AMR-Half Rate to increase capacity. The 3G network is W-CDMA and can handle more calls and no hard handoff's + there is more capacity right now so it's always using AMR-Full Rate for now so it's much better call quality. Plus it works with less signal better than GSM.

Phones
    Nexus One
    N97 Mini (SOLD)
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    yes i'll say it, 3G is a new VOICE and DATA network. technical codecs aside, 3G improves voice quality and data speeds. its not only for data, like most people think. the gsm and 3G networks are essentially 2 separate networks. its possible to have 3G and not get any gsm, and vice versa. so your calls go over 3g network too. people say that because there are not as many users on 3G, it sounds better. but 3G handles more bandwidth and it does it more efficiently, so it should not matter too much when 3G gets more crowded i dont think.
    Current Device: Nexus One
    Phone History: |N97 Mini| |5800| |E71-2| |N95-4| |N95-3| |N75| |6131| |6230| |SE T616|

| My HoFo Feedback |

Phones
    Apple iPhone 4, Sprint Treo 800w
    iPhone 4
    Palm Treo 800W
    Carriers
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by snvyas

Typically - yes. 3G on AT&T uses a different technology, even though the voice codecs are compatible.
    GSM ('G') uses TDMA based air interface which has probably ever known tweak for capacity available (DTX, frequency hopping, using the codecs on 'half rate').
    3G (UMTS/WCDMA) has an air interface more similar to that which Verizon and Sprint use (but not compatible).
    3G networks tend to have better error handling capabilities in general.
    GSM on EFR or AMR-full rate sound very good as well, as thats what they were designed to run on. Forcing AMR-half rate is a capacity hack that doesn't always work well for quality on GSM.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bigb252
    That's just plain false. Both GSM and UMTS can operate on both 850 and 1900, and the reason UMTS calls sound better has nothing to do with the frequency used.

Phones
    Blackberry Storm/Motorola k1m
    Motorola i850
    Motorola v3xx
    Carriers
    Verizon;
    AT&..... I'm sorry, you faded out. Could you repeat that?
    Feedback Score
    Does 3G use DTX? I don't think I have noticed it. But on GSM, it can be quite apparent at times.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Yes, it uses DTX. DTX is even more effective in CDMA than it is in TDMA with frequency hopping.

Phones
    iPhone 4/5
    iPhone 4
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    i get way more dropped calls with 3G than i do with Edge !
    not to mention half the battery life.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by parishmc
    i get way more dropped calls with 3G than i do with Edge !
    not to mention half the battery life.
    With the N95-3? I haven't had too many problems with handoffs from 3G to 2G on mine. Plus the better sound quality of 3G is worth the decreased battery life. Most of the time I have a long conversation, I plug the phone in anyway.

Feedback Score
    I'm trying to extend my HTC Tilt phone battery as long as possible.
    So by switching my 3G off and switch to GSM/Edge will extend my battery a little bit more for voice?
    Thanks in advance.

Phones
    Nexus One
    N97 Mini (SOLD)
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by logicstep
    I'm trying to extend my HTC Tilt phone battery as long as possible.
    So by switching my 3G off and switch to GSM/Edge will extend my battery a little bit more for voice?
    Thanks in advance.
    yes. my phone battery lasts noticeably longer if i force it to GSM only. it certainly helps.

Phones
    Apple iPhone 4, Sprint Treo 800w
    iPhone 4
    Palm Treo 800W
    Carriers
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    I often have issues with my Samsung ZX-20, as it sometimes 'forgets' that it has GSM capabilities when on a 3G call and ends up dropping the call. Typically, I'll see the signal actually show up as 'full' and the call will start to break up, then drop. A jump to Test Mode will show no GSM channels and a standard 3G channel (going back to normal after a failed call). An attempt to make a call will then fail, and the phone will then camp on GSM and calls will go through.

I never had this issue on the Moto V3xx.

Phones
    Nexus One
    N97 Mini (SOLD)
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    i wonder if the different HSDPA chipsets play a role in how they handle handoffs? are there any that are better or worse?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast