Phones
    Nokia E71
    Nokia 6301
    Nokia E61/Nokia QD
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score

getting charge for wifi?

I wanted to use the wifi feature on my phone. I have a Nokia E61 (vodafone business firmware) changed by mistake..i was looking to use the VOIP and using gizmo, because my signal strength sucks in my basement. But im afraid that if i use the wifi that fido will charge me for data. I have 12mb but i dont want to go over for using wifi. I know wifi is free to use but i've heard rogers/fido still charges even when you use it. I just wanna that comfirm if i do use wifi am i gonna get charged for it. ps i know i could use it while offline but because of the vodafone firmware wont allow me to use wifi when im offline

Feedback Score
    Whatever you do on WIFI is none of Fido's business and they will not even know you are using it. If you want, you can delete the Fido internet/wap/mms settings and then just put them back when you are done using the wifi. This will ensure that there is no possible way that you can accidently connect via the Fido network.

Phones
    Nokia 5230
    Nokia E51 (Travel phone)
    Samsung u740, Samsung a640, Motorola T720 (Retired)
    Carriers
    WIND
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    They can't do anything about it.

Phones
    Nokia E71
    Nokia 6301
    Nokia E61/Nokia QD
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    well it would be to much to call in everytime and tell them to block it as i do use my 12mb, is there a way to block the data on the phone. My whole thing is i dont want them to tell me, well because you use wifi it still counts as data and goes thru fido's server

Carriers
    fido/
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jplunks
    I know wifi is free to use but i've heard rogers/fido still charges even when you use it.

This doesn't even make sense.

Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (HTC Polaris: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) 1.0/HTC_Polaris)

so you think if you are sitting at home using your wireless router connected to your phone using the internet that you pay rogers bell or whoever for, Fido also charges you?

Fido has nothing to do with wifi. all you need to do is remove the save password for your Fido connection if possible or look for a program that turns off cellular data. there are ones for smartphoneS and pdas not sure about other mobiles though.
    Last edited by Guest 187; 05-04-2008 at 12:46 PM.

Carrier
    Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    Just remove all the yellow-icon Fido access points from Menu->Tools->Settings->Connection->Access Points (iirc).

Now, Fido cannot possibly charge you for data. To get the access points back, just run the settings wizard (in Tools I think), or take your sim card out and put it back in.

This is the bulletproof way to avoid GPRS charges.

Phones
    Moto Q9
    Razor v9
    Unlocked e62
    Feedback Score
    Ok, what happens with WiFi is the following.

Most phones that have WiFi enabled will have it for making calls (VoiP like) but when they try to connect to the internet for webbrowsing or data transfers the phone is actually making those transactions through the GSM networks and not the WiFi.

Reason of that is that most manufacturers make the phones look for the internet through GSM first even if the phone is connect to WiFi.

That is why people can be "unpleasently" surprised in their invoices. The phone actually used the GSM network.

What you need to do is go in your phone settings, remove all internet profiles, in this case anything that deals with WAP or GPRS settings (Access Points for internet on fido network are wap.fido.ca and internet.fido.ca). Just removing the passwords as the previous poster stated is not enough since Fido will let the connection even without it in some cases.

Also you can call Fido Customer Service and have put in blocks on your account for all internet useage on the GSM network.

Hopefully after that your phone will be able to use the internet through WiFi unless the manufacturers blocked that option on the phones firmware.
    In that case then you need to or unlock the Data Connection WiFi applications on the phone or to get some kind of 3rd party application for it (on smartphones)

Hope this helps.

Phones
    Nokia E71
    Nokia 6301
    Nokia E61/Nokia QD
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    thanks alot your help her guy, this site is king. but i have the 12mb, so it would be pointless to have it blocked. I guess my problem would be solved if the vodafone firmware is proventing me from using wifi offline. Back to the NSS drawing board