Thread: UMA phones = free wifi web browsing?

Phones
    Apple iPhone 4
    Nokia E51 Rose Steel (sold)
    Sony Ericsson M600i (sold)
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score

UMA phones = free wifi web browsing?

does anyone know if the the new UMA phones will allow us to browse the internet on our phones through our own wireless routers?

Phone
    Nok6300
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by _LawmaN_
    does anyone know if the the new UMA phones will allow us to browse the internet on our phones through our own wireless routers?
    No, it uses the GSM network for web surfing on the future Fido Branded UMA handsets

Carrier
    Fido/Rogers/Tmobile/Vodafone
    Feedback Score
    ^ thats corrected...tried and tested on 6301 ....

Phones
    Moto X
    Q10
    Carriers
    Fido Solutions
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Third. Absolutely correct statements above.

Personal phone: FIDO $56 unlimited Smart plan w/2GB LTE MAX ($10/GB overage)
    Business phone: FIDO $55 unlimited Standard plan w/5GB LTE MAX (2 x 10% discounts = $44.55, $10/GB overage)
    Laptop/desktop: WIND $15 AITF unlimited data (10GB soft cap)

All my posts are my own opinion only and not necessarily that of any of my employers, past or present.

Feedback Score
    Why surf on the internet w/ your 2 inch screen when you have access to wi-fi at home? w/ a computer

"CRACKBERRY" Webster's 2006 word of the year
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=391655

Phones
    Apple iPhone 4 CDMA
    Apple iPhone 3GS (wife)
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tomtomtom
    Why surf on the internet w/ your 2 inch screen when you have access to wi-fi at home? w/ a computer
    Because wi-fi is more ubiquitous than just your home. Would be nice to take advantage of that "Free Wi-Fi" sign using your phone and its wi-fi capability. Poor design to not allow it to work.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by spleck
    Because wi-fi is more ubiquitous than just your home. Would be nice to take advantage of that "Free Wi-Fi" sign using your phone and its wi-fi capability. Poor design to not allow it to work.
    There aren't much of these freebies Wi-Fi in Toronto

Phones
    HP/Palm Pre 3
    HP TouchPad
    Someday WP7 or Android
    Carrier
    TELUS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tomtomtom
    There aren't much of these freebies Wi-Fi in Toronto
    Agreed. That was one reason why I ended up giving up on my beloved E61i. Great phone, enjoyed having BlackBerry Connect (even with the restrictively small data bucket), but there just isn't a lot of open Wifi in Toronto. That made the small and expensive data bucket all the more painful.

Really was a shame when OneZone stopped being free...
    [ f l a s h ! ] - "What's the matter Colonel Sanders? CHICKEN?!?"

Previous phones: BlackBerry 9100, BlackBerry 9700, BlackBerry 9000, BlackBerry 8830, Nokia E61i, Nokia 6300, BlackBerry Pearl 8100, BlackBerry 7250, Motorola RAZR V3 (black), Nokia N-Gage QD, Danger Hiptop, SE T68i, Nokia 8390, Handspring VisorPhone/Prism, Ericsson T18z, Nokia 3390, Nokia 5190/Analog Module (for that drive from TO->MTL), Ericsson CF388, and an original Cantel Amigo!

Phones
    GNex, Galaxy S, Nokia 5230 and babysitting a MC950D & an iphone4 16gig -- That thing has got to go!
    Nexus One; TyTn; BJII; 6620; T610; M55UnLkd;
    M55UnLkd; 3390; 6190; 7190; 8290UnLkd; T720; Moto V60gUnLkd; R520 The last great Ericsson!
    Carrier
    Wind & Fido-Rogers
    Feedback Score
    ^^^^ It depends where you are. Sadly people are starting to smarten up. Only a few years ago, it was a free for all. I could take my laptop to anyone's house and you were just bound to find free WiFi.
    FIDO Power User:
    Unlimited Data Line Only

Ex-Wind, Now Mobilicity Data & Phone

Surfing the Mobile net with wild abandon.

From Toronto? Want to meet new friends? Then come out, don't be shy! it is not spam I run the group myself, now with 1550+ people! Check here!
    Visit my blog!

Carrier
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Is there anything else that can come over the wifi connection besides voice? SMS?

I ask because my parents live in a dead zone with no cell coverage, but work in a zone with normal cell coverage, and i'm trying to find something that won't be useless for them at home.

Phones
    Galaxy SIII
    Nokia E73, N95
    Motorola Ming, SE W958c
    Carrier
    Mobilicity, P4, CMCC
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sanity_clause
    Is there anything else that can come over the wifi connection besides voice? SMS?

I ask because my parents live in a dead zone with no cell coverage, but work in a zone with normal cell coverage, and i'm trying to find something that won't be useless for them at home.
    SMS is typically limited to the cellular networks. You can use third party providers for sending/receiving SMS over the internet (ie: WiFi).

Check out these links if you have bad cellular signal:
    http://www.wilsonelectronics.com/
    http://www.cellboosterstore.com/
    http://www.alternativewireless.com/