Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: automatically forwarding of Text Messages?

Phones
    ATT Tilt 8925
    Cingular 8125
    ATT 8525 WM5
    Carrier
    ATT
    Feedback Score

automatically forwarding of Text Messages?

Hello all,

I think I know the answer but wanted to post this to the experts before I give my answer.

A friend of mine came to me this evening (since I am the "tech buddy") and asked if there is a way to automatically forward text messages (sent or received) from a phone. Seems he's getting a little suspicious of his wife and he's wanting to "check up on her". Please never mind the ethical part here. I don't want to debate the merits of snooping on one's spouse. It's not my business. He just wants to know if it's possible. Him and his wife both have some kind of new Samsung ATT phone.

Phones
    Nexus One / SE Equinox TM717
    Huawei U8150/Comet
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Call forwarding certainly won't forward anything but voice calls. I know of no way to forward a text message.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    There is no way for the user to do it unless the phone has some kind of feature that would generate a second text message and send the contents to another number/email address.
    With direct access to the HLR, you could probably instruct the SMSC to pass messages along to another destination.

Phones
    ATT Tilt 8925
    Cingular 8125
    ATT 8525 WM5
    Carrier
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    That's what I was thinking, didn't really think so. Thanks for the reassurance.

D.

Phone
    Samsung Captivate, Samsung Mythic
    Carrier
    at&t (formerly Cingular)
    Feedback Score
    There are applications out there that can be put on a phone that can forward a copy of incoming SMS to another phone. Unfortunately, they only work on Nokia S60 devices. Wireless Labs SMS Forwarder

There are other malicious stuff out there called mobile phone spyware/malware that can do some things unbeknownst of the user. Just hope they don't make it spread further than what already has been found.

Mobile phone spyware -- it's here
    If you feel that you have to correct some of my posts for my capitalization of some of my words, then just bear with it. It's just a discussion forum where some may be limited by time to answer in well-versed and eloquent sentences.

I already got a PHD (Plain High School Diploma) so ignore my style of writing and I'll ignore your ignorance.

Subject: You can read this-trust me!

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdgnieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid. Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm.
    Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt!

When asked if I see the glass half empty or half full, I responded I see just a glass of water.
    Now you know how I think.

Carriers
    Fido (Snoopy's Dog House)
    Feedback Score
    SMS forwarding worked up untill late last year for my friend.. He is on AT&T blue (310-380) and I happened to send a TEX to his Primus voip number by mistake, and what do you know... he actually received it on his at&t line after that. Now when orange and blue combined/merged billing systems, this stopped working and now when i mistakenly send sms to his voip, i get a rogers text to landline message, if u dont know what that means, rogers will treat it like its a landline and call it and play a text 2 speech recording... interesting, maybe it will work for usa customers, anyone wanna try?
    My Feedback
    I put the "Ho" back in "HOFO"

Carriers
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    If you have (or if your wife has) a Windows Mobile phone, you can try:
    http://www.wimobot.com/wmapps/mobilesecretary/

Works pretty slick. I wish they had a program like this for Palm OS.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Paolo
    SMS forwarding worked up untill late last year for my friend.. He is on AT&T blue (310-380) and I happened to send a TEX to his Primus voip number by mistake, and what do you know... he actually received it on his at&t line after that. Now when orange and blue combined/merged billing systems, this stopped working and now when i mistakenly send sms to his voip, i get a rogers text to landline message, if u dont know what that means, rogers will treat it like its a landline and call it and play a text 2 speech recording... interesting, maybe it will work for usa customers, anyone wanna try?
    This is not forwarding from a wireless phone. This is forwarding to a wireless phone.
    Earl F. Parrish

Phones
    VZW Customer Council Member
    Droid Bionic, HTC Tbolt&Inc, Droid X,O2,Droid,BB Tour/Storm/Pearl,GzOne, LG Dare/enV/Choc,HTC Touch,
    Sam BJ2/Juke/Alias,iPhone 2G, MiFi, Moto Q9m/v3xx/168i
    Carriers
    Verizon,
    Feedback Score
    One way to do it, which will probably only work for a couple of days, is to do the following, which assumes the "friend" is on either T-Mobile or AT&T:

1) Buy a prepaid phone of the same brand and activate it with a test call.

2) Load up the card for enough usage to last the wife a couple of days.

3) Get a hold of her phone discretely, at night or whatever. Put her SIM in the prepaid phone unit, put prepaid SIM in hers.

4) On the prepaid unit, which now has her SIM in it, set calls to forward to the prepaid number, which is assigned to the SIM now sitting in her phone.

5) Make sure her contacts are saved to the phone, not to the SIM, so when she gets incoming calls they will appear as normal and the caller ID screens.

Under this scenario, the wife will still get incoming calls, but the text messages will go to the prepaid phone because her SIM is in it. Of course when she calls people and they ask why her number changed the jig may be up, but if you can have her fooled for a day or two you may be able to get an incomming text message or two from the "secret friend." You'll have the "friend's" phone number and the jig will be up.

If you get the opportunity, reply to the "friend" with some fake texts but don't go too over the top... things like "I'm starting to feel this isn't right" and get into a back-and-forth, trying to get the guy to repeat back prior things the wife has told him about how she feels about him. Any info on their history you can gather this way will be helpful. Make it vague enough though so the guy doesn't get suspicious.

IF POSSIBLE, if she says something is wrong with the phone, tell her you'll take a look at it. Get it out of her sight and switch the SIMs back around and say "it needed rebooting, gosh that was weird" or something like that, preserving the ability to do the above again later.

Phones
    Blackberry Bold 9650
    Motorola Q9 Global (retired after three years)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    that is a good idea.
    1,000 posts 2:52 p.m March 11th, 2007
    2,000 posts 8:24 a.m February 24th, 2008

Phone
    Blackberry Pearl (Red)
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Or you could just ask her...

Phone
    Carrier
    at&t (formerly Cingular)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by classylady78
    Or you could just ask her...
    Best reply in this situation. No need for any special equipment or software. Straight and to the point. Just get it from the source.

Phones
    VZW Customer Council Member
    Droid Bionic, HTC Tbolt&Inc, Droid X,O2,Droid,BB Tour/Storm/Pearl,GzOne, LG Dare/enV/Choc,HTC Touch,
    Sam BJ2/Juke/Alias,iPhone 2G, MiFi, Moto Q9m/v3xx/168i
    Carriers
    Verizon,
    Feedback Score
    That works fine if you can trust the answer when someone else may be getting it from the source too.

Phones
    860 datacard
    sync a707
    Carrier
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    need pics of the wife before my tech folder can be opened.

she hot?

then tell him to save time and money and simply eject..
    this space for rent .

Phone
    Carrier
    at&t (formerly Cingular)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pgens
    That works fine if you can trust the answer when someone else may be getting it from the source too.
    Almost didn't get that on the first read.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast