Thread: Cricket vs Metropcs

Phones
    Note 3, Iphone 5s
    Droid Razr
    Carriers
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score

Cricket vs Metropcs

I am in the Las Vegas area, and cricket is opening up next week, I've been debating about going with cricket or metropcs. So far I haven't seen much comparision between the two. They both use the same phones, and they are both using CDMA 1700.

From what I have gathered cricket is less restrictive about the phones on their networks, and metro is pretty locked down. Other then that it sounds like they are pretty much the same.

Is there anything that I am missing? Which is the better company to go with? Have any of you had a any personal experiences with both of them? Or since until now (I could be wrong) they haven't shared in a region together it is hard to make a fair comparison.

Phones
    6275i
    8900 curve
    Carriers
    cricket
    Feedback Score
    cricket's coverage area will be far superior to metro's

Phones
    Samsung: R500 Hue/ RAZR V3m/ Novatel ev620
    Treo 650 GSM/ T509
    NOKIA 5170/5185/5190/6010
    Carriers
    Cricket / Jump
    Tmobile/VZW/ATT prepaids
    Feedback Score
    Crickets network will be more extensive and cricket also lets you roam.... so coverage , while not unlimited, lets you practically cross the country and still have service...

Downside for you is you are limited to 3 aws phones for now from either company, whereas nearly all the rest of cricket's markets will let you use any old cdma phone.

Phones
    6275i
    8900 curve
    Carriers
    cricket
    Feedback Score
    metro is limited to the exact same 3 phones. There is a copy of cricket's las vegas coverage map in the quarterly presentation that was released today on leapwireless.com it says some of it will be done through a roaming partner (but still unlimited)

Phones
    Dare (cricKet)
    6900 (cricKet)
    Omnia (cricket)Wap/MMS NO EVDO!!!!
    Carriers
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Cricket is in my ID so I maybe biased but......

Cricket
    - Nationwide Roaming using Verizon and Sprint coverage (depending on the market)
    - Phones are cheaper (the Samsung SPEX goes on Sale on May 12th)
    - Data Cards !! (AWS included)
    - Cricket's color is green (MetroPcs is some kind of orange/purple scheme)

As a general I find Cricket to have a smaller phone selection that Metropcs. Not at the moment but over the last year Metro had 3-4 more phones to choose from.

Also the support (customer service) with cricket is weak. I don't have any experience with Metropcs but with Cricket good information from employees is hard to come by.

Has anyone heard about the new rate Plans? They are supposed to launch at the same time as las vegas.

MetroPCS
    - Has unlimited coverage in most of the major markets nationwide (LA, almost all of Forida, etc)
    - I like the features that they offer (E-mail and IM services) They almost seem a little cheaper than cricket features only.

Cricket should be the better option. Both in price and coverage.

Phones
    6275i
    8900 curve
    Carriers
    cricket
    Feedback Score
    please... just look at the coverage areas... it says it all... cricket's coverage is much more extensive. also the plans i can now easily say are much better on cricket.

Phone
    Samsung t409, Samsung Gravity TXT, and Nokia Lumia 710
    Carrier
    T-Mobile GSM/3G/4G/UMA (voice/text/data)
    Feedback Score
    Now for an unbiased view and suggestion.

I have used both Metro PCS and Cricket services/networks - but I have never owned one.

Cricket does have better in-store service, their network is usually of better quality, and they let you purchase roaming minutes. Cricket doesn't allow Cricket-To-Cricket market roaming unless you pay a fee. Cricket does allow you to use ANY CDMA phone with their service. Cricket has 3G/EvDo data.

MetroPCS's network usually covers more square miles, and they let you go to any other MetroPCS network and use all your features the same as you would if you were in LV (Cricket allows you to do this for an extra fee). But roaming charges are per minute and are usually about seventy-five cents. MetroPCS customer service is just tad less quality than Crickets. MetroPCS restricts customers to using ONLY their MetroPCS branded devices. Metro PCS does not have 3G data; but they do offer PTT services.

As for phones, I think it all depends on which one you want. Cricket has some that Metro doesn't; and Metro has some Cricket doesn't. Both are no contract basis, and plans are similar in voice features (unlmiited minutes, voicemail, caller ID, etc, etc).

I know MetroPCS has family plans - not sure about Cricket. An example of a family plan with MetroPCS would be $100 for four lines of unlimited incoming/outgoing calls.

At the end though it is all up to you. I say test both carriers out and see which works best for you where you work, live, and hang out.
    T-Mobile. Connecting you when you need it most... disconnecting you when you need to connect with God's beautiful creation! Service is great in cities and highways, but in rural areas they leave you with just your surroundings. I encourage you to get T-Mobile, disconnect for a while!

I am glad that God is not like cell phone coverage. He does not hide behind mountains or loose us down long windy roads. The Lord levels mountains, and He makes our paths straight!

Phones
    6275i
    8900 curve
    Carriers
    cricket
    Feedback Score
    if you want to post facts at least get the facts straight. I don't know who has more square miles "usually", but this is about vegas, and considering there is only one "overlap market" i don't really know how you can compare that.. Cricket's coverage in vegas is FAR more extensive. It's not even close. see page 30: http://library.corporate-ir.net/libr...NAL_050908.pdf
    the use of features in all cricket markets is included AT NO CHARGE on all plans $45 and above. Additionally, if you do need to roam, yes, cricket is much more cost effective. $60 plan includes your unlimited service in cricket markets, and 200 roaming minutes. you're effectively paying $10 for 200 minutes of roaming, so $0.05 per minute. on the $50 plan you're basically paying $5 for 30 minutes (and call forwarding and unlimited DA 411 calls) which is under $0.17 per minute (if you say the call forwarding and 411 calls is worth nothing to you). the per minute rate is ALWAYS $0.39 on cricket
    On metro the rates are $0.49-$0.79 per minute.

as far as the metro promo for 4 phones for $100, well it has no features so only calling, not really as great as it seems, but i'd personally prefer actually being able to use my phone over a significantly larger coverage than saving... well it's only saving $5 a line over cricket's offer. additionally take a look at the plans cricket offers in the other overlap market modesto/merced. they offer and extremely competitive plan there and presumably they would offer something similar in vegas to compete with metro.

Phones
    Note 3, Iphone 5s
    Droid Razr
    Carriers
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    Roaming is nice, but not required immediatley perhaps in the future has things progress with the two companies. It is nice that cricket offers the option of roaming minutes though, will be nice for when I do go out of town. But isn't important, I have a company cell to make up for anything I lack there. Just trying to not use it as my personal cell.

I think I am going to be choosing cricket, since a: it is a qualcomm company, and qualcomm are the people that make CDMA for everyone so it is like getting it from the horses mouth and b: I like the flexibility's of their network better than metropcs (being able to use a data card, or use a different phone). Both Metropcs and cricket are aws here, so my E815 that I wanted to use on cricket will be a no go.

And if it costs me a extra 10-15 a month for better coverage (for two phones) then so be it. Having a working phone w/o a contract is more important than saving 5 bucks. Besides I have a verizon cell now, and the coverage where I live is sh**, so I hope that cricket is better, it sounds like they may be, if not they go back.

One concern eventually (more for wife than I) is that it seems from the radio licenses that I have seen, that metropcs will be better on the west coast (per license coverage only, not actual) but in the midwest cricket will be better (again per fcc licenses only) But I could be totally wrong, that was just my observation. So I wonder if perhaps cricket has a ton more roaming agreements than metropcs to make up for that (probably some deal they workout with verizon & sprint) since verizon and sprint, and probably a fee & fee and tmobile are all buying from qualcomm (just look on the back of any cdma phone that's sticker didn't fall off. But from what it sounds like cricket is really on the ball with their back end tech to make this work properly coverage wise.

The other question is what company will be around in 5 years, I see this possibly turning into a xm/sirius deal, where you have two companies trying to change a industry, that can't afford to beat each other up, attempt to merge, just to be blocked by the powers that be.

Thanks for the quick replies. I haven't found anything comparing the two yet, but I am sure they will be popping up.

Carriers
    cricket
    cricket
    Feedback Score
    cricket u can use any phone metropcs no go

Phones
    Note 3, Iphone 5s
    Droid Razr
    Carriers
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bmos812
    cricket u can use any phone metropcs no go
    Any phone that is AWS capable. CDMA 1700 only in Vegas. If I was in San Diego or some other place then yes that statement would be correct.

Phone
    htc mogul
    Carrier
    cricket
    Feedback Score

cricket

cricket is much better

Phones
    EVO 4G
    HTC Hero
    HTC Touch/Razr VE20
    Carrier
    Sprint Everything Plus Family $109.99
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NexTel32708
    Now for an unbiased view and suggestion.

....Cricket doesn't allow Cricket-To-Cricket market roaming unless you pay a fee.

Starting with the $35 plan, you get Unlimited features in all Cricket coverage areas. Is this not Cricket-To-Cricket roaming?
    How many phones do I really need?

Everything Plus Family 1600 - $109.99

Sprint SERO $30 - 500 mins, Unlim text, Pwr Vision, M2M, Unlim Pics, N&W @ 7pm, F&F mins and Unlim Data

Former cricKet - Unlimited Talk, Text, Pic, Video, LD, CID, VM, CW, 3way, Web and NECA - $45

Former T-Mobile as of 6/28/08
    Business 300 + Free Weekends + 100 text - $29.99
    Plus a 10% Business Discount!

Microsoft Certified Professional

Phone
    iPhone 3Gs
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    bottom line:
    *more for the buck over all.....go metropcs (imo)

*hacks, coverage, and better roaming.....go cricket
    (we're doing the same thing with the pocket pc's but cant seem to get outgoing mms working, only incoming. if any cricket guys wanna lend a hand, pm me...just thought i'd throw that out there. thanx)

*the plans are too similar to really compare. same with the phones. one thing i wouldn't mind having on metro is a plan with roaming included like cricket. you'll see the price to minute ratio get better over time. and eventually, metro may even follow suit when they compete head-2-head in more markets (like vegas). and i'm pretty sure some cricket customers would like to see the metro $100/4 line family plan (or any family plan for that matter).

*customer service sux for both.

like someone else said, it's all going to boil down to what u like. also, i didn't even bother to mention the new so-called push-to-talk walkie talkie feature metro has because it sux! don't be fooled by it.
    $300....iPhone 3Gs from Craigslist.com
    FREE....Jailbreak/Unlock Software
    $79 ....Unlimited Talk, Text & Web

The Peace of mind of not worrying about minutes and not having to pay outrageous data fees....
    PRICELESS!

"I'd rather have a few hundred posts of useful info, than have 1000's of useless redundant BS like "Use the SEARCH button!".

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by simple3
    if you want to post facts at least get the facts straight. I don't know who has more square miles "usually", but this is about vegas, and considering there is only one "overlap market" i don't really know how you can compare that.. Cricket's coverage in vegas is FAR more extensive. It's not even close. see page 30: http://library.corporate-ir.net/libr...NAL_050908.pdf
    the use of features in all cricket markets is included AT NO CHARGE on all plans $45 and above. Additionally, if you do need to roam, yes, cricket is much more cost effective. $60 plan includes your unlimited service in cricket markets, and 200 roaming minutes. you're effectively paying $10 for 200 minutes of roaming, so $0.05 per minute. on the $50 plan you're basically paying $5 for 30 minutes (and call forwarding and unlimited DA 411 calls) which is under $0.17 per minute (if you say the call forwarding and 411 calls is worth nothing to you). the per minute rate is ALWAYS $0.39 on cricket
    On metro the rates are $0.49-$0.79 per minute.

as far as the metro promo for 4 phones for $100, well it has no features so only calling, not really as great as it seems, but i'd personally prefer actually being able to use my phone over a significantly larger coverage than saving... well it's only saving $5 a line over cricket's offer. additionally take a look at the plans cricket offers in the other overlap market modesto/merced. they offer and extremely competitive plan there and presumably they would offer something similar in vegas to compete with metro.
    Your telling him to get his facts right about cricket, why dont you get yours right about metro....

When u mention crickets 50 dollar plan you mention 411 and the other stuff...but when u mention metros 45 plan, you dont mention everything...yah its 49 cents a minute for roaming, but metro are in the bigger markets so ppl may not need to roam often...the bay area, la, florida, georgia, dallas, detroit, ohio, etc.

Metros family plan doesnt have features? It has the same features your plans have, talk text caller id....tell me how much 4 lines with those features would cost with cricket?

Cricket and metro do share a market in modesto already, and metro is kicking their ***, so that should say a lot...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast