Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: In-depth: How do we fight the fakes/clones?

Device(s)
    Nokia 8800 Sirocco Edition
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    As strange as it sounds, they cloned the N96 :S, it's not even released yet!

This website is full of clones btw:
    http://www.soundasia.cn/html/product...482998677.html

PS to admin: Please remove the link if it's not allowed, my apologies.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    I report the ebay auctions but I don't know what to do about websites like this. It's not like we can report them to Better Business Bureau, they're based in China

Device(s)
    Nokia N96
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    I think that *sometimes* fakes have their place. Like fake brand clothing/purses/watches/sunglasses/ect, sure- they give a lil bling boost cheaply, and it doesn't matter if they wear out faster b/c attire trends and seasons are so short. I see absolutely NO point in knowingly buying a fake N95 though, b/c at least in the US, it's not a 'famous' item (yet!)- the masses don't recognize it immediately like they would say an iphone. And the abilities of a fake vs a genuine N95 are SO far apart, and the many functions of the N95 are what makes it so desirable, again I just don't get why someone would want a crappy cell in an N95 housing. IMHO if someone gets a fake N95 it's most likely b/c they're not informed enough to spot it, and the ones that do know probably don't fully realize the functionality that's absent. So info is key I think, go HoFo! :}

Device(s)
    Sony Ericsson C905 Cyber-shot (Copper) w/8GB M2 Card
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I've been following the 8800 Arte on eBay since I'm getting one. Other then sellers mentioning that the phone is coming from China and mentioning that there is a MiniSD card slot, is there anything else I should be looking for?

I think I'm just going to spend the extra $$$ and get it locally so there won't be any issues once it arrives in the post.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by EMAGDNIM
    I've been following the 8800 Arte on eBay since I'm getting one. Other then sellers mentioning that the phone is coming from China and mentioning that there is a MiniSD card slot, is there anything else I should be looking for?

I think I'm just going to spend the extra $$$ and get it locally so there won't be any issues once it arrives in the post.
    Those are the red flags for now until we can get a hold of a picture. Most fakers I've seen on ebay just steal the pics.

I'd buy it from somewhere else if I were you..

Feedback Score
    i saw this kid i know today and he had a n95-3, the device did not look very much like a real n95, then i asked him where he got it.
    he said he got it from ebay for a mere 299.99 new. i was like really? that cheap?
    then i noticed he had stickers on the back of the device covering the nseries logo and a sticker in front covering the nokia badge.
    really very shady.. i asked him about the operating system, the wifi perfomance, and the 3G speeds.. he said it had fast 3G connection, and then i noticed he has tmobile.

i dunno, i have never ever heard of a n95 going for 300 dollars new.

Device(s)
    Nokia N86
    Carrier(s)
    Orange-UK
    Feedback Score
    I think fakes are fine as long as you know your buying a fake and is the price of a fake. If its being sold as the real deal then its a problem but I suppose that's what's happening.

Device(s)
    Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Just buy them thru right place like tigerdirect, or directly from Nokia. Or like mine, contract price.
    Someone just don't care if it is fake or not, as long as cheaper price. Therefore, if you just don't care if fake or not, that is OK. Just make sure the one you buy is real or fake.

Quote Originally Posted by EPVQ30

i dunno, i have never ever heard of a n95 going for 300 dollars new.
    The N95-3 price really went down after Rogers in Canada selling N95(-4). The price of N95-3 on tigerdirect.com is $399. Therefore, It might be true. Who knows. that is why I never buy item over 200 on ebay, unless I can local pickup

Device(s)
    BB 9700 Bold
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    it's very difficult because it's so hard to tell the difference

the only way I can think we can fight this is buying from reputable places, which doesn't mean ebay or craigslist.

buying it used is difficult trust me

think the answer is research and knowing what to look for

Device(s)
    Samsung i9300 Galaxy S3
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Fakes have obvious giveaways... shouldn't be too hard to spot cuz the dimensions may not add up, features and specs will be different. I don't see what the big deal is cuz price should be an indicator as well. It's not like fake clothing where it may be harder to spot unless u know exactly what to look for but fake mobiles will never match the quality of the real thing.
    My Feedback(22)

Past Phones:
    Moto: V60i, V220, V300, V400, SLVR L7, V3i
    Nokia: 3360, 3595, 6230, 6230i, 7610, N80, N73, N82, N93i
    Samsung: X426, E316, D600, D900, Galaxy S i9000M (x2), i9100 Galaxy S2 (black)
    Sharp: 903sh (white)(x2), SH905i (white), SH906i (white)
    Sony Ericsson: Z500a, T616(x2), T637, S700i, S710a, V800, V802, K700i, K750i(x3), K800i, W800i, W810i(x3), W900i
    Siemens: S40
    Apple: iPhone 3GS (white)(x2), iPhone 4S (white), iPhone 5 (white)

Device(s)
    Nokia E51-Rose
    Carrier(s)
    TMO
    Feedback Score
    I disagree with there being obvious giveaways.. ive seen some very impressive clones, and really the only way to tell is by actually using it.

I frequent different rip-off forums from time to time, and im amazed how stupid people can be. "but it was $300 and thats amazing considering everyone else wanted $700"

Device(s)
    Samsung i9300 Galaxy S3
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by drewdoog
    I disagree with there being obvious giveaways.. ive seen some very impressive clones, and really the only way to tell is by actually using it.

I frequent different rip-off forums from time to time, and im amazed how stupid people can be. "but it was $300 and thats amazing considering everyone else wanted $700"
    Most people with common sense would test the phones first. So from what you're telling me these cloners are so good ay cloning then can even get symbian OS on their clones? They can equip their phones with the same specs... so lets say they have a N95 clone for sale. It's going to be packed with a 5mp cam and take shots that will make it look just like the real thing. I see I guess fakes these days are at another level... What I mean by obvious giveaways is that no matter how good it looks it doesn't match up to the real thing. The second u turn it on... you're already going to see inconsistencies... so you're telling me that's not obvious? So if you're staring at a phone that is supposed to have symbian... and some weird UI pops up... are u telling me that's not obvious?

Device(s)
    N91
    Feedback Score
    Like someone mentioned, if you know that you are buying a clone, clone have their places. Many ppl cant afford an expensive phone sometimes you know. Anyway, symbian os is the main difference and before buying a phone you should do your research.

Device(s)
    Dell Streak 2.2
    Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    hello phone gods.....lol I bought a cect i9 seems to work good, pretty nice phone, it was only 115.00 now thats a good deal.....I also bought a real one not a knock off 6700 from sprint, paid 500.00 with a rebate I never got back, put down 400 deposit and paid 200 cancle fee when returning and was over build for 6 months straight and then they turned my phone off hahahahaha, I also bought a used treo 650 but they wouldn't turn it on because of the esn ......so 2000.00 in the hole later trying to do the right thing, I bought a clone did t mobile no contract and had no proublems....know let me ask you phone gods, have you ever watched a bootleg, or even better got a moded psp or xbox....hmmmmm are we that perfect phone gods???? I bet these people don't even pay for software on there computers.......lol These phone clones are just people moding and makeing them better and cheaper.......for you to use...
    and the things they improve on or come up new with, i bet you the other so called real companies still ideas and put them into new phones they come out with all late.....http://www.howardforums.com/editpost...st&p=11606163#

Device(s)
    Galaxy S II LTE,SE Xperia ARC, BB Torch,HTC Desire Z, Sony Ericsson Xperia X1a and X10, BB Bold 9000
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers, Telus (CRAP), Fido, Bell (CRAP), Orange SK, T-Mobile SK-DE-US, O2 DE, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    ^ Not really because the majority of the cloned phones suck. They break, have less features and look like a knock off. If you want the N95 you want a 5mp, wifi, gps, etc. etc., you don't want a 2mp camera without autofocus, and a phone with no features similar to the N95. EVERYTHING IN THIS WORLD is about QUALITY! If you pay 2x less you end up paying 2x more. I believe that every transaction I make should produce something of quality, because quantity and cheap fixes are useless.

Put it this way, would you rather buy an album with 3 good songs and 20 tracks, or one with 7 good songs and 8 tracks?
    -Swapping SIM cards since 2001-

Phones:Samsung Galaxy S II LTE I727R, Sony Ericsson Xperia ARC LT15a, BB Torch, HTC Desire Z - Dream - Diamond, Sony Ericsson Xperia X1a and X10, Omnia II US, BB Bold 9000, Nokia N97 N95-3, K790a, W810i, W600i, S710a, Z600i, V3 RAZR, Nokia 3100b, Simens M55, MOTOROLA DPC 550 (Analogue), AudioBox CDM-4000 and 4500 (Ghey), Nokia 3390

Carriers: Rogers, Telus GSM/CDMA, Fido, Bell GSM (CRAP), Orange SK, T-Mobile SK-DE-US, O2 DE, AT&T.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast