Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: In-depth: How do we fight the fakes/clones?

Device(s)
    N95-1 v30
    Carrier(s)
    DNA
    Feedback Score
    Why support the counterfeiters by buying a clone.? They are a waste of space, and damaging the market place.

Im doing all I can to stop these clones, particularly with the Nokia handsets anyway. I have even been working closely with the BBC "Watchdog" in the UK, who are compiling a documentary regarding them, its an ongoing investigation, which hopefully, the outcome will be a similar style "Cook Report" program.

Don't play into the hands of these outlets.!
    NokiaUsers.net

http://mickyfin.vox.com/

Device(s)
    lumia 640, lumia 650, coolpad rouge for chromecast
    Carrier(s)
    cricket
    Feedback Score
    oh give me a break. you guys make me laugh. if someone wants to get something cheap let them. what is it hurting really? not like i can get one of them since i can't even aford the clone let along the real things though. i am someone that gets the cheapest of anything they can. not name brand? who cares. i don't understand why name brands matter at all. even phone company's like samsung phones copy other phones. does that make them clones too and should be reported? really now. get over it. some people just want something cheap no mater what it is. sorry if i am going over board or something. now let me go back to my generic life.

Feedback Score
    ^ Just another opinion. Next, please.

Device(s)
    Blackberry Curve 8900, Pearl 8120
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I find it interesting that China produces all the knockoffs, but they're also the largest importer of the genuine article people choose to snub so they can save a buck. My oh my, how the worm does turn.......
    Be kinder than necessary for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Device(s)
    lumia 640, lumia 650, coolpad rouge for chromecast
    Carrier(s)
    cricket
    Feedback Score
    you forget. the originals are made in china too so?

Feedback Score
    ^ So true.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rgr1856
    I find it interesting that China produces all the knockoffs, but they're also the largest importer of the genuine article people choose to snub so they can save a buck. My oh my, how the worm does turn.......
    http://www.howardforums.com/showpost...&postcount=611

^ I wanna remind you all about such blanket statement: BE CAREFUL of your choice of words to described the knock-off cellphones. Nokia has its own production line in China, even though this model may not be assembled there. Many of us will simply link ALL knock-off merchandises to China as a deFacto source. Unfortunately, among all the crooks around the world, many are in China - wanna rip everyone off, making quick money by making look-alike knock-off.

Argued for whether there's such knock-off is pointless because if crooks are so determined to make one, there'll be one - even for the more exclusive Vertu Ascent Ti! Check out the alarming reports on knock-off cellphones at http://mobile.163.com/08/0114/10/425L2PMP001117A5.html . Materials used for the knock-off are irrelevant. Some are better while some are obviously poor. You can S E A R C H in our HoFo archive, you'll find some laughable, apparent ones which are WAY different from the intended mimic subjects. But, there're new breeds coming w/ better techniques, materials and even the UI look alike!

The bottom line: Let alone to beware of those "too-cheap-to-be-true" deals, also beware of those little-known/questionable sellers. Crooks on eBay CAN scam anyone BEFORE they've got caught! Bait & switch, misrepresentation are all too common these days - incl Craigslist. So buy local at the trusted sources, buy in person from the reputable HoFoers. If you can't afford to buy an expensive phone, start to save up your hard-earned money until then!

Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    this bl-5c battery i get, has a hologram but there's no scratchable area on it.
    i got it from my carrier so it really shouldn't be a fake, but i just want to make sure, is there an other way to verify this battery? thx

Device(s)
    Samsung i9300 Galaxy S3
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by eckndu
    this bl-5c battery i get, has a hologram but there's no scratchable area on it.
    i got it from my carrier so it really shouldn't be a fake, but i just want to make sure, is there an other way to verify this battery? thx
    Has it already been scratched?
    My Feedback(22)

Past Phones:
    Moto: V60i, V220, V300, V400, SLVR L7, V3i
    Nokia: 3360, 3595, 6230, 6230i, 7610, N80, N73, N82, N93i
    Samsung: X426, E316, D600, D900, Galaxy S i9000M (x2), i9100 Galaxy S2 (black)
    Sharp: 903sh (white)(x2), SH905i (white), SH906i (white)
    Sony Ericsson: Z500a, T616(x2), T637, S700i, S710a, V800, V802, K700i, K750i(x3), K800i, W800i, W810i(x3), W900i
    Siemens: S40
    Apple: iPhone 3GS (white)(x2), iPhone 4S (white), iPhone 5 (white)

Device(s)
    V65E4710, A3LSMG925W8, PDNRM-975, IHDT56PG3, QMNRM-11, L6ARCV70UW, L6ARJE180LW
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS, Bell, SpeakOut, CSL, au by KDDI
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    eckndu / Havo,

Nokia has stopped to use the "scratch-to-reveal" authentication code for a while, just the hologram wiht a much shorter code printed on it.
    --

HC - NO "i"
    I am NOT "the" HC, we are TWO different individuals!

"If we amplify everything, we hear nothing!" - Jon Stewart, Comedian

Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    ^so is there a new way to verify the battery? thanks

Device(s)
    iPhone 3G 8GB
    Carrier(s)
    Maxis(Malaysia)
    Feedback Score

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by laminator
    how do you tell a real luna from a fake?
    Do you know whats MTK? MTK is by linux and not symbian. The Luna runs on S40(Symbian)and there is some parts they can't imitate...The battery. Till now, no one can imitate Nokia's hologram sticker. COOL!
    LFS RULZ!

WHO WANTS THE DEMO... LOL

Device(s)
    Htc Evo
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint now network
    Feedback Score
    Im on a clothing and shoe forum and they both have a "official fake thread" where we all post fakes and lol at them. We look down on fakes and the people selling them.

Theres even sections called "Legit check" where we post pictures of the items we want to buy on ebay or another seller, So other posters come in and verify if the item is authentic or not before we buy.

We have come along way to the point where we can literally spot a fake item on some one 15 feet away with just a glance,(its a gift)

We all know that faking highly expensive shoes and clothing will not stop because its a billion dollar industy but we can at least educate the uneducated so they dont get ripped. I posted fake carbon Artes in one of these threads already for the lulz

EDIT: found them lol

[/QUOTE]

I really didnt read all the replies in this thread because i think they are mostly opinions on why fakes are wrong or right but i think we should have an official fake thread or legit check thread of some kind.

Also how can you tell if your phone is fake once you get it.

Device(s)
    Nokia 3650
    Carrier(s)
    Sun
    Feedback Score
    One dead give-away I noticed on cloned phones is that they have this toolbar at the bottom of the screen (especially on touch screen types) Too bad some of the icons are not right for its supposed function. Also, the menus are a bit too flashy when compared to Nokias. Although I've seen clones of Motorola that have even more functions than the real one. ;-)

Feedback Score
    thanks for all

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast