Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: UL wap billing thread

Device(s)
    BLACKBERRY BOLD
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    buwee I agree. But *sigh* it just doesn't happen that way.

Device(s)
    Galaxy Nexus, T-Mobile HTC G2, BB Curve 9300 3G
    Carrier(s)
    Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by papapoon
    Why should there be a regulation? He used a plan that was not supported and therefore was charged accordingly for it. It is his problem not Fido's.

Now he most likely call in and get the charges reversed and so on but Fido doesn't need to tell a customer that his bill is getting to high, IT IS A BUSINESS!

As for the Rogers credit limits being applied at Fido as well, then it is up to the customer to ask questions regarding this in my opinion.

it's in fido's best interest that there should be regulation on a limit... there's a reason why you need a credit check to get approved to purchase anything where you'll have monthly charges or fees... realistically there is no way in hell 90% of the people out there could pay a $22000 phone bill... Fido has to realize that the likelihood that this person can afford to pay this bill is probably ZERO.

Even if the person refused to pay and this went to court it's quite possible that this person was misinformed by a CSR when they added this plan therefore isn't 100% responsible for the amount of charges and would not be required by law to pay the full amount of the bill (or even at all).

The best Fido could hope for is for a collections agency to buy the debt on the account for a fraction of the amount.

If Fido puts limitations on data usage then they can guarantee that at least they'll be able get the money that's owed to them... something like once a person has accumulated over $100 (just picking an arbitrary amount) of data usage then they don't get charged beyond that... or even if they cut off data access somehow once a person accumulates $100 of charges... it's more likely that someone will pay them $100 in data charges than $1000.

Using policies like these would be much smarter for Fido from a customer service perspective and a revenue perspective.

Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    this is just becoming too painful to read.... and it's only the begining.

Device(s)
    BB Passport, OnePlus One, GOBI5000 LTE, iPad
    Carrier(s)
    Bell, Rogers, Verizon (Prepaid) 6 CTNs, one me.
    Feedback Score
    i think they should just charge him a fair rate for the data he used. like 500 bucks. and tell him next time they wont be so kind. this way it is both a lesson and a break. a 500 dollar bill is affordable one time for most people with good enough credit to get a phone without CLM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by buwee
    He deserves to be billed and hopefully Fido will not reverse the charges!
    He knew full well that this could happen but he used it anyways so it is not Fido's fault. Scammers should pay!

this is a pretty ignorant statement considering that you don't know any of the details of his case...

there was a lot of misinformation going around about the unlimited surfing option when it was first released... not everyone reads forums to research things or even know that forums like these exist for advice.

This option was first released in February and at the time CSR's were telling people that the type of phone didn't matter.... on top of that Fido didn't start charging people for their data usage until 1 or 2 months after their first bill showing them getting unlimited data on their non-Fido phone.

It's possible that this person added the option one day, never felt the need to discuss it or look into it further since the information given by the CSR gave him no reason to think he had to worry... then when he got his first bill and saw that he didn't get charged for data usage that would only reinforce his belief that he had unlimited data on his non-fido phone.

Under this circumstance (which I assume happened to quite a few people) it would be Fido's responsibility to correct the misinformation disseminated by their staff BEFORE charging people for extremely high data charges.

Device(s)
    Blackberry Torch 9800
    Carrier(s)
    Robbers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jammyjamz
    it's in fido's best interest that there should be regulation on a limit... there's a reason why you need a credit check to get approved to purchase anything where you'll have monthly charges or fees... realistically there is no way in hell 90% of the people out there could pay a $22000 phone bill... Fido has to realize that the likelihood that this person can afford to pay this bill is probably ZERO.

Even if the person refused to pay and this went to court it's quite possible that this person was misinformed by a CSR when they added this plan therefore isn't 100% responsible for the amount of charges and would not be required by law to pay the full amount of the bill (or even at all).

The best Fido could hope for is for a collections agency to buy the debt on the account for a fraction of the amount.

If Fido puts limitations on data usage then they can guarantee that at least they'll be able get the money that's owed to them... something like once a person has accumulated over $100 (just picking an arbitrary amount) of data usage then they don't get charged beyond that... or even if they cut off data access somehow once a person accumulates $100 of charges... it's more likely that someone will pay them $100 in data charges than $1000.

Using policies like these would be much smarter for Fido from a customer service perspective and a revenue perspective.
    If he cannot pay, and Fido does not reverse the charges it will end up impacting his credit rating! Now, is it worth ruining your credit for the sake of using a plan that wasn't designed for what he was using it for?

Device(s)
    Nokia N95/Blackberry 8310/Blackberry 8110 and Danger Hiptop2 (to be sold)
    Carrier(s)
    Al Jawal
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shawntdot
    I'm sorry but I am not allow to provide you with the details of the policy. That would be giving out info you are not allowed to have.
    Alright.. fair enough. I'll give you that. But how about telling us if the policy in this case protects the customer, or the company? The reason I ask is because I'm in a similar predicament.

Device(s)
    BLACKBERRY BOLD
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    The policy protects the customer. It's about the most customer friendly policy I have ever seen come out of HQ. And anyone who has seen it will agree, I nearly fell off my chair when it went out to all the employees.

Device(s)
    Moto X
    Carrier(s)
    Fido Solutions
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by trek.
    where's iFido. He needs to say "I told you so"
    Well, I have already said it a few times in other similar threads and forums over the past week. It's not like this guy has the first bill like this, in fact there are many much much higher bills already. BUT....if you insist... "I told you so!".

FIDO $40/4GB BYOD
    PUBLIC $38/4GB BYOD
    WIND $15 AITF unlimited data (10GB full speed)

All my posts are my own opinion only and not necessarily that of any of my employers, past or present.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by buwee
    If he cannot pay, and Fido does not reverse the charges it will end up impacting his credit rating! Now, is it worth ruining your credit for the sake of using a plan that wasn't designed for what he was using it for?

of course it will mess up his credit rating...

you're missing my point completely.... I was trying to make the point that Fido, in certain cases where customers were misinformed, has to take the responsibility to protect their customers... you're making what's likely a false assumption that someone would willingly do something they know they'll get charged $22000 for...

somewhere along the line a CSR told this guy that he was allowed to use his phone with the unlimited surfing option. Even if the customer was told here on Hofo or hearing things on the web all it takes is one CSR telling him during a call to Fido that his phone was valid for the unlimited browsing option for him to have a case to dispute the charges.

It's in the company's best interest to protect their customers from racking up high charges mistakenly because most customers just simply don't have the money to pay for a $22000 phone bill, and Fido will lose out on that money.

Carrier(s)
    CityFido Classic MTL
    Feedback Score
    defending a $22K + phone bill when there was confusion from the part of the company representatives themselves baffles the hell out of me. what's wrong with some of you people?
    Last edited by orion; 05-22-2008 at 09:12 AM.

Device(s)
    Razor V3C
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score

Toronto

this bills shows exactly why you must do 1 of two things

1) put a cap on your monthly bill ($100)

2) Create a incorporated company and register you phone on that so you are personally protected.

In Canada, Never put a cell phone in your personal name, always in an incorporated co.
    Mississauga is Canada's 6th largest city and no one has ever heard of it. Maybe we need an NHL team to put us on the map!

Device(s)
    iPhone 5
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    you got me curious so i asked him! he would get $985.24 fidodollars if he pays his 22Kbill

Quote Originally Posted by remster45
    Imagine the FidoDollars!

Device(s)
    Unlocked iPhone 5
    Carrier(s)
    FIDO for Canada
    Feedback Score
    I think there is a little split here among customers and employees. the employees on this forum (maybe not all) are smirking at the bill and saying I told you so bla bla bla... and I agree that the customers on ho-fo DO KNOW better and if they get a bill, f' em =)

BUT there are probably a ton of ppl that dont come to any forum for info, and just walked into the store (or called in).... those ppl may have been sold a fido jack with the unlim plan (or some misinformation like that) and are going to see these bills.... you need to have some type of sympathy for them and cant call them scammers or stupid customers. (they dont go into all the fine print all day long, its the CSRs job to give them the right info). they definitely should be credited properly, but then they know better from here on in AND the csrs should know better for selling them an incompatible plan.

it does go two ways in many cases here. you cant defend the bill and laugh in the customers face. much of the issue was fido reps not knowing the proper rules (and then fido not billing the usage for two+ months). yes, there are some that actually know but dont listen or imei scam but that is a super small minority of the customers.

one of these days fido and rogers will send out a 22K bill to a business lawyer, and find themselves in some real hot water.
    Last edited by partyfavor; 05-22-2008 at 09:59 AM.
    My Plans (Rogers): Biz Share Flex $80 (unlim stuff w 4gig) + $35 second line.

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 800
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    a couple of years ago, my friend used data (ignorantly not checking the rates with me even though I worked there.) He just thought it used his minutes. Fido called him when his bill hit around $800. I don't know why that wouldn't have happened here. Does Fido really think anyo consumer will pay them $22k? Not a chance. No one is taking out a loan for that. They're just not going to pay.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast