Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Recommend a signal booster/repeater?

Device(s)
    HTC Kaiser
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Recommend a signal booster/repeater?

The signal in my apartment is pretty spotty. I get reception but calls drop and data usually just doesn't work or is very slow. I would like to get a repeater. Which do you recommend? I don't want one that requires an external antenna because I don't know how I would run the cable inside. Would prefer something that I can place the antenna by the window. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    this is pretty much what [email protected] was designed for.

Device(s)
    HTC Kaiser
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley4point6L
    this is pretty much what [email protected] was designed for.
    Yes I know. The problem is that I do not have or want a [email protected] phone. Why would I want to replace my unlocked tilt with some flip phone? That is the problem with [email protected] I do not want to swap sims either because that kinda defeats the purpose of having a nice phone.

Can someone please suggest a repeater/amplifier? Anyone use one? Feeback?

Device(s)
    Blackberry 8700C
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8310/4.5.0.37 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

What's wrong with blackberry 8320? It comes with [email protected]
    Blackberry Junkie

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BB Junkie
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8310/4.5.0.37 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

He has a Tilt and he likes it!
    Anything not made in China is counterfeit!

Device(s)
    T-Mobile G1 (Black)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Unless you put the antenna outside, you really won't get that great of enhancement. For the repeater to work it's best, you need to put the "external" antenna somewhere where you get full signal.

I use a Wilson amp in my car and it does allow me to get 5 bars of signal in areas that my Curve displays no signal. It does require the "internal" antenna to be mounted very near or even on the back of the phone with a rubber band.

I would imagine that amps designed for your house would be stronger, but again, you will HAVE to put the external antenna outside for it to work properly. If you don't, you will get feedback which will prevent it from working.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Ask ThorBlazeDragon. He has one!

Device(s)
    LG V20 and LG G Pad X 8.0
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile One Plan 6+1 lines
    Feedback Score
    currently I use Wi-Ex indoor repeater
    it works as supposed to be
    but the question is: do you have 100% signal right outside your house?
    if so, just use the included "plastic stick" (outdoor antenna), and put it outside your house
    however, if the signal is weak, you need yagi, and install it on the roof, point to the site (you can observe the phone bar when aligning antenna)
    lightning stick is recommended to prevent storm damage
    http://www.wi-ex.com
    http://www.solidsignal.com
    btw, if anybody knows where has AWS+PCS repeater available, please post

Optimum/Cablevision

Device(s)
    HTC Kaiser
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

The problem is that it is a blackberry and not WM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nodakawa
    Thank you. Please don't suggest that I get a new phone. I am asking about signal boosters.

Quote Originally Posted by absoluteevel
    Unless you put the antenna outside, you really won't get that great of enhancement. For the repeater to work it's best, you need to put the "external" antenna somewhere where you get full signal.

I use a Wilson amp in my car and it does allow me to get 5 bars of signal in areas that my Curve displays no signal. It does require the "internal" antenna to be mounted very near or even on the back of the phone with a rubber band.

I would imagine that amps designed for your house would be stronger, but again, you will HAVE to put the external antenna outside for it to work properly. If you don't, you will get feedback which will prevent it from working.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThorBlaze Dragon
    if so, just use the included "plastic stick" (outdoor antenna), and put it outside your house
    however, if the signal is weak, you need yagi, and install it on the roof, point to the site (you can observe the phone bar when aligning antenna)
    Thanks for the helpful input. So there is nothing that will help without having the antenna outdoors? The signal is usable indoors, but it drops calls sometimes when I move around. The signal is not full bars outside but it is better. Indoors I get 2 out of 4 bars. Outdoors I get 2-3. Wich Wi-Ex do you recommend? The YX500? I just don't know if I can get coax wire through the window (even with the window entry kit) because I don't think I can take the screen on this window off. I will do some more investigating. I was just hoping there was something that didnt need to be outdoors. Thanks.

Device(s)
    LG V20 and LG G Pad X 8.0
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile One Plan 6+1 lines
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (HP 211 and nokia 6263: Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.1; U; en-us) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413 es61 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

Quote Originally Posted by JKingGrim

The problem is that it is a blackberry and not WM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nodakawa
    Thank you. Please don't suggest that I get a new phone. I am asking about signal boosters.

Quote Originally Posted by ThorBlaze Dragon
    Thanks for the helpful input. So there is nothing that will help without having the antenna outdoors? The signal is usable indoors, but it drops calls sometimes when I move around. The signal is not full bars outside but it is better. Indoors I get 2 out of 4 bars. Outdoors I get 2-3. Wich Wi-Ex do you recommend? The YX500? I just don't know if I can get coax wire through the window (even with the window entry kit) because I don't think I can take the screen on this window off. I will do some more investigating. I was just hoping there was something that didnt need to be outdoors. Thanks.
    PCS band works

Feedback Score
    3gstore.com

Device(s)
    T-Mobile G1 (Black)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Remember it is only repeating what it gets, so if you put the antenna where you have 2 bars, you'll get two bars. One exception is if you use a more powerful "external" antenna such as a roof mount mobile antenna or yagi. If you have a room that you don't use much, you could always mount a yagi in there looking out a window toward the closest tower.

If you look around for the Wi-Ex reviews, they are not as powerful as the Wilson ones. Regardless, check EBay for the model you buy before you go through any online retailer. Many of the retailers also have EBay stores and the prices are often a lot more reasonable there, and often include more add-ons.

Device(s)
    BB 8120
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I use a Wilson Signal Boost amp. I get maybe 1 bar in my home office. I use their small magnetic antenna with suction cup window mount, on the outside of the window and thread the cable (very small) through the window to the amp. The output of the amp has a vecro attachment that connects to the phone. I get 4 bars with this setup. Works fine for me in my office.

You could use the antenna on the inside, but outside may be better. IT's very low profile.

http://www.repeaterstore.com/product...gnalboost.html

Device(s)
    HTC Kaiser
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Remember it is only repeating what it gets, so if you put the antenna where you have 2 bars, you'll get two bars. One exception is if you use a more powerful "external" antenna such as a roof mount mobile antenna or yagi. If you have a room that you don't use much, you could always mount a yagi in there looking out a window toward the closest tower.

If you look around for the Wi-Ex reviews, they are not as powerful as the Wilson ones. Regardless, check EBay for the model you buy before you go through any online retailer. Many of the retailers also have EBay stores and the prices are often a lot more reasonable there, and often include more add-ons.
    I guess that is what my misconception was. I thought the repeater's antenna was more sensitive since it is huge, and it could take a weaker signal and boost it. I guess I will look into the wi-ex unit and see if I can get it through the window. Thanks for all the input.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    i've searched all the forums and from what I've gathered it appears that everyone of the cell phone booster devices ie the freedom blade, the wilson.... you put an antenna outside your house, then you have the booster inside, then you have to have a cable going from the booster to your phone???

Is there anything that works without having to have a cable attatched to your phone..

Like something that just brings the signal in and then repeats it throughout your house??? This is along the lines of what I'm looking for, because i'm looking to get better service for more than one phone at a time...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast