Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How do I disable Metro's web browser

Phones
    Sony Ericsson Equinox
    Nokia 6255i-was left accidently at a park & noone called saying they found it.
    Nokia 6015-still have and works keep as back up #1 for number in case current phone lost
    Carriers
    T-Mobile Finally switched!
    had Verizon prepaid before
    Feedback Score

Question How do I disable Metro's web browser

I'd like to disable Metros web browser so I use Opera with the ability to download things to my phone with out having to always blue tooth things over from my MAC.

How do I do this?????

Kim

Phones
    HTC G1, Nokia 5610 XpressMusic, Samsung SGH-X475, Nokia 5300, Samsung Blast, HTC Dash S620,SideKick
    Motorola ROKR Z6m
    Nokia 6265i
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    are you using the nokia 6265i? if so you can just download it and it works right off the bat.

Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (SamSpex: SCH-R210 UP.Browser/6.2.3.8 (GUI) MMP/2.0)

Even though it may be possible it would cause problems with mms and possibly your service. All these settings are dependent on each other. And by disabling it you would also disable internet access.

Boston-Go Pats, Celts & Sox! Now in ATL, GA
    Phone
    Nokia C7
    Carrier
    Simple Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kivadiva
    I'd like to disable Metros web browser so I use Opera with the ability to download things to my phone with out having to always blue tooth things over from my MAC.

How do I do this?????

Kim

Unfortunately, we can only download media to our phones with the openwave browser within the phone because it has access to the phones file system and memory locations. First of all, the phone isnt JSR-75 capable. That is a java api that gives 3rd party apps access to the phones internal memory. Second, opera mini isnt signed, or hasn't passed security by our phone, which is why we can only use an unsigned version, also limiting the ability to download directly from opera mini.
    Nokia 6185 - Sprint PCS 98
    Nokia 6120i - Cellular One 99-01
    Nokia 8210 - Cingular 01-03
    Nokia 2260 - At&t 04
    Nokia 6225i - MetroPCS 05-07
    Nokia 6265i - MetroPCS 07-09
    Nokia 5800 XprsMusic - At&t 09-11
    Nokia C7 - Simple Mobile - 11-12
    Galaxy Nexus - AT&T Straighttalk/AIO - 12-Present

Phones
    Nokia 6265i
    Nokia N-Gage QD
    Carrier
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score

Thumbs up

kivadiva:

Yes you can disable the default Nokia browser by entering in the code *#BROWSER# (*#2769737#) on the keypad. You'll then see three options one being: Minibrowser menu (Enabled/Disabled). You can disable it but this WILL NOT automatically then default Opera Mini to the browser of choice. You'll still need to browse to and start Opera Mini as usual. Oh and by disabling the default browser you WILL NOT disable internet for the whole phone.

nokiaONLY:

The 6265i does support JSR-75 (view the link below for more info). The latest version of Opera Mini (version 4.1) supports downloading of files directly to the file-system without launching the normal system WAP browser. The new Opera (not signed) also supports saving web-pages to the phones memory for later viewing. To download the latest version simply visit the Opera site with your default browser or download to your PC and transfer that way.

http://www.forum.nokia.com/devices/6265i

Anyone:

If you want to know I have some great FREE java apps for the 6265i such as an IM (all 4+ services) messenger application, email, maps, bluetooth phone control, bluetooth file browser/transfer, Bluetooth chat, File browser/management, Skinable MP3 player (seperate application which doesn't use the Nokia media player), and more!

FifthE1ement
    MetroPCS Forum including service tips, tricks, and guides found at Xphilez.com (mobiles section).

Nokia 6265i Guide can be found at Xphilez.com!

MetroPCS MSL (Subsidy Code/Unlock Phone) Calculator, Download, and Detailed Guide!

Phone
    Nokia C7
    Carrier
    Simple Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fifthe1ement
    nokiaONLY:

The 6265i does support JSR-75 (view the link below for more info). The latest version of Opera Mini (version 4.1) supports downloading of files directly to the file-system without launching the normal system WAP browser. The new Opera (not signed) also supports saving web-pages to the phones memory for later viewing. To download the latest version simply visit the Opera site with your default browser or download to your PC and transfer that way.

http://www.forum.nokia.com/devices/6265i
    I've been using operamini 4.1 final since the day it was released. Each time I try to download anything, It asks me to choose the storage location, then says access denied.

Phones
    Nokia 6265i
    Nokia N-Gage QD
    Carrier
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by nokiaONLY
    I've been using operamini 4.1 final since the day it was released. Each time I try to download anything, It asks me to choose the storage location, then says access denied.
    Hmm, sounds like an issue? Where is your Opera Mini jar, on the internal or external memory? Try downloading a new copy and putting it on your memory card. The only issue I have ever had with Opera Mini on the 626i is getting it to verify my net connection as it automatically chooses the type and Metro has the auto redirect to their Metro page enabled on their network which makes verifying very hard to do. I have been using the latest release of Opera Mini (v4.1) since it came out about a month or two ago and I've had no problems downloading mp3's, jar files, themes, and more via the built-in feature. I can also save pages to my memory card, etc for viewing later. The 6265i supports a plethora of Java feature sets far more advanced than many other phones such as MIDP 2.0, CLDC 1.1, JSR 120 Wireless Messaging API, JSR 135 Mobile Media API, JSR 184 Mobile 3D Graphics API, JSR 185 JTWI, JSR 75 FileConnection and PIM API, JSR 82 Bluetooth API, Nokia UI API, and many other Java API Access Permissions. I'll help more if it still is not working for you.

I also use the JSR-75 feature in my alternative java MP3 player, email application, file browser, and just about any other java app to date which reads and accesses phone storage.

FifthE1ement

Phones
    Sony Ericsson Equinox
    Nokia 6015-still have and works keep as back up #1 for number in case current phone lost
    Carriers
    Feedback Score

Question Just a few ????

So if I punch in I can disable the default Nokia browser by entering in the code *#BROWSER# (*#2769737#) on the keypad. But is that the same as the METRO's browser??? I want to make sure before I do something I'll regret.

Also I will download Opera Mini again. and it was on my 1gig Memory card. I would LOVE the other applications you mentioned as well.

You mentioneed The 6265i supports a plethora of Java feature sets far more advanced than many other phones such as MIDP 2.0, CLDC 1.1, JSR 120 Wireless Messaging API, JSR 135 Mobile Media API, JSR 184 Mobile 3D Graphics API, JSR 185 JTWI, JSR 75 FileConnection and PIM API, JSR 82 Bluetooth API, Nokia UI API, and many other Java API Access Permissions. I'll help more if it still is not working for you.

I also use the JSR-75 feature in my alternative java MP3 player, email application, file browser, and just about any other java app to date which reads and accesses phone storage.

But can you tell me what all those file types are???

By the way I'd be LOST with you. This forum is the best!!!

Phone
    Nokia C7
    Carrier
    Simple Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Hmm, sounds like an issue? Where is your Opera Mini jar, on the internal or external memory? Try downloading a new copy and putting it on your memory card.FifthE1ement

I have it saved on the internal memory in a folder I created just for applications. I'll see what happens when I download and save a new copy to my memory card

Phones
    Nokia 6265i
    Nokia N-Gage QD
    Carrier
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by kivadiva
    So if I punch in I can disable the default Nokia browser by entering in the code *#BROWSER# (*#2769737#) on the keypad. But is that the same as the METRO's browser??? I want to make sure before I do something I'll regret.

Also I will download Opera Mini again. and it was on my 1gig Memory card. I would LOVE the other applications you mentioned as well.

You mentioned The 6265i supports a plethora of Java feature sets far more advanced than many other phones such as MIDP 2.0, CLDC 1.1, JSR 120 Wireless Messaging API, JSR 135 Mobile Media API, JSR 184 Mobile 3D Graphics API, JSR 185 JTWI, JSR 75 FileConnection and PIM API, JSR 82 Bluetooth API, Nokia UI API, and many other Java API Access Permissions. I'll help more if it still is not working for you.

But can you tell me what all those file types are???

By the way I'd be LOST with you. This forum is the best!!!
    kivadiva don't worry bud as once you change the option you can easily go back and redo it again as it is not a one time thing. And this disables/enables the WAP web browser which is represented in the menu by the "World" icon. Once disabled it is no longer available in the menu until re-enabled. This option was put in place for operators to enable/disable for their networks.

Opera Mini version 4.1 is quite good although it does suffer from an activation error on many phones nowadays via the method in which it tries to verify the network connection. As I mentioned since MetroPCS auto routes the first sent packets back to their DHTML homepage this causes errors when trying to verify a working net connection. If you are unable to verify the new version let me know and I'll send you the "config" files which will have the HTML option preselected and activated so it works for you.

As for the other applications I'll make a list of what they are, what they do, and where to download them and then I'll post them sometime this weekend.

Lol, they are all Java programming features which the phone supports but below I will write a small summary of what they are used for:

MIDP 2.0, CLDC 1.1, JSR 120 Wireless Messaging API (allows applications to access messaging features of the phone such as sms, etc) , JSR 135 Mobile Media API (allows for applications to play and record sounds and video, and to capture still images), JSR 184 Mobile 3D Graphics API (allows the phone to employ 3D rendering techniques for games and applications), JSR 185 JTWI (java standards which cannot be easily explained in a paraphrase), JSR 75 FileConnection (allows read and/or write access to the file system of the phone and is needed for a java application to access images, songs, or just about any file on the phone) and PIM API (similar to JSR 75 but allows access to other personal information management data such as address books, calendars, and to-do lists, etc) JSR 82 Bluetooth API (allows applications to access bluetooth features found compatible with the phone), Nokia UI API (system of API's which help create user friendly games for Nokia phones utilizing feature-sets only found on such phones), and many other Java API Access Permissions.

nokiaONLY:

Let me know how it works for you?

Regards,

FifthE1ement

Phones
    Sony Ericsson Equinox
    Carriers
    Feedback Score

Red face Fifth Element......YOU ROCK!!!!!!

Fifth Element......YOU ROCK!!!!!! And if I was kickin' it with you in person. I give you a big hug and kiss!!!!!!

I'm going to reload the Opera browser. Now my next question is will I be able to do the whole WAP thing from opera????? I just reread what you typed and from the looks of it I will be able to. because I'd sure love to add some programs like the wap gmail, and maybe an instant messenger. plus buy a game or two and have it sent to my phone.

Kim

Phone
    Nokia 6265i
    Carrier
    Metro PCS
    Feedback Score
    Opera Mini version 4.1 is quite good although it does suffer from an activation error on many phones nowadays via the method in which it tries to verify the network connection. As I mentioned since MetroPCS auto routes the first sent packets back to their DHTML homepage this causes errors when trying to verify a working net connection. If you are unable to verify the new version let me know and I'll send you the "config" files which will have the HTML option preselected and activated so it works for you.

As for the other applications I'll make a list of what they are, what they do, and where to download them and then I'll post them sometime this weekend.

Let me know how it works for you?

Regards,

FifthE1ement
    Wow man... you are one really helpful dude.

Im now on xphilez.com checking out your posts and all that is available. Real helpful.

I am too having trouble with Opera 4.1... i keep reciveing an error when I attempt to install the program.

Also.... I am quite interested in what else you have up your sleeve.

Thank you again!

Phone
    Nokia C7
    Carrier
    Simple Mobile
    Feedback Score
    How are you trying to install Operamini. Over the air or via computer?
    Also, what is the error your getting?

Phone
    Nokia 6265i
    Carrier
    Metro PCS
    Feedback Score
    I downloaded it to the SD card and then am running it form there.

I can run and use Opera 3 no problem. But trying to use for it just tells me that there is a connection problem and that I need to go to the website and blah blah blah.....

IM sure theres a setting that Im missing...

Phone
    Nokia C7
    Carrier
    Simple Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rawdikrik
    I downloaded it to the SD card and then am running it form there.

I can run and use Opera 3 no problem. But trying to use for it just tells me that there is a connection problem and that I need to go to the website and blah blah blah.....

IM sure theres a setting that Im missing...

One way to cut down on those allow network access, and connection error messages is to have it highlighted before you open it. Press options and scroll down to application access. Change all the settings that you can to either allways allowed or ask first time only, whichever is available. My read/edit user data is not allowed. How about you?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast