Thread: Laptop internet on Tracfone?

Phone
    SG Note 2/HTC EVO
    Carriers
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score

Laptop internet on Tracfone?

Now that Tracfone is offering internet on their handsets, is there a way to use this service to get prepaid internet on a laptop? (yes I know it's a rediculous fee, but my mother doesnt want to sign a contract) I'm not against removing the tracfone SIM and placing it in another phone OR running special software ala PDAnet to get the service.

Phones
    Samsung SCH-A870
    Moto v710
    Moto Razr v3mpp
    Carriers
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Not sure about Trac. If it can be done, you won't like the speeds anyway. Trac's SIMs are locked to Tracphones anyway. I know it can be done with ATT GoPhone and Verizon InPulse.
    --
    Austin

VZW evdo about 3 mi from the tower.

VZW evdo from the Edens Expressway.

Phones
    Samsung T201G
    Motorola W376
    BlackBerry 8703e
    Carriers
    AT&T (Tracfone / Net10)
    Feedback Score
    I have heard of a kit to hook up a v60, but since you are not using GRPS but regular CDMA voice you would be limited to 300 bps. Even a fax machine runs 14.4 kbps (14,400 bps) while dial up runs about 32 kbps (32,000 bps). Analog phones allow internet to run up to 9.6 kbps (9600 bps) if you can find one to activate with a company that still uses that technology.

Phone
    i930 (for sale)
    Carrier
    Boost Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Lol, wow. 300 bps is fast! Seriously, just buy a cable for your boost phone and use it. You don't even have to pay for the data (although you should - 35 cents a day :P) It's ~20kbps (is that 20 million bps?).
    - Chris
    Looking to buy something online? Try getaproduct.com

Would still be interested in selling my Motorola i930. Not in the best condition (outside lcd screen doesn't work, spring to flip the phone shut won't click closed anymore) - but hey, that just means I'd sell it for less . Unlocked and decerted, of course . PM me if interested.

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    You won't be able to tether with TracFone easily, if at all. I would recommend Boost Mobile (slower, but cheapest) or AT&T GoPhone (faster, but more expensive).
    Castrol EDGE 5W-30 is my drug of choice.

Toyota | let's go places

Primary: Galaxy Note 3 and LG F6: 5 lines, 1x $15 5GB data, 2x $5 Android web, 1x $2.99 T-Zones, corp discount + $10/mo loyalty discount = $93/mo tax inclusive
    Secondary: iPhone 4 & Optimus Dynamic II: TracFone (Verizon); Galaxy Epic: RingPlus (Sprint)
    Tablet: iPad Mini Retina w/ T-Mobile 4G LTE

Phones
    Samsung SCH-A870
    Moto v710
    Moto Razr v3mpp
    Carriers
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    No, Trac data would be Q2N speed, that's 14.4k max. However, Trac makes it really hard to tether, if it's at all possible.

You can do GoPhone tethering at EDGE/UTMS/HSDPA speeds if available in your area (Edge is almost everywhere, UTMS/HSDPA is in cities). That costs $20 a month and can be inserted into a data card.

You can tether with InPulse (as I do, VZW has evdo where I go on the weekends). You'd need to get the Razr, which is around $115. You can connect it to your computer with a mini USB cable. Data is free, you just need to keep your account active ($15 monthly or $100 yearly).

Phone
    SG Note 2/HTC EVO
    Carriers
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by avisitor
    You can tether with InPulse (as I do, VZW has evdo where I go on the weekends). You'd need to get the Razr, which is around $115. You can connect it to your computer with a mini USB cable. Data is free, you just need to keep your account active ($15 monthly or $100 yearly).
    $100 a year sounds good. (that's the cost of 1-year of active Tracfone service, that's why my mother is using that) I thought though that VZW's prepaid required $1 every day you wanted the phone active...? If that works it'll be a lot better option.

Phones
    Samsung SCH-A870
    Moto v710
    Moto Razr v3mpp
    Carriers
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; PPC; 240x320))

Only voice calls trigger the fee. PM me if you need more info about setting it up.