Thread: Why do some calls show up as "Unavailable"?

Phones
    Moto E815
    Moto Q9m
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

Why do some calls show up as "Unavailable"?

I have an LG VX4400, and even though I have my parent's home phone number in my address book on the phone, every time they call me, my phone says "unavailable" in the caller id and then proceeds to play the "Restricted Call" ringtone.

I don't get it because their line is not unlisted or anything. It shows up just fine on other people's caller ids.

I'm out of ideas...anyone?

Carriers
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

Re: Why do some calls show up as "Unavailable"?

It sounds like they’ve blocked the outgoing caller ID on their line. Having a block on the caller ID is different from having an unlisted number. They are separate and independent options on someone's phone service.

Phones
    kyocera 2325
    nokia 3285
    nokia 3390
    Carriers
    Verizon(currently)
    Feedback Score

Re: Why do some calls show up as "Unavailable"?

Originally posted by russr
    I have an LG VX4400, and even though I have my parent's home phone number in my address book on the phone, every time they call me, my phone says "unavailable" in the caller id and then proceeds to play the "Restricted Call" ringtone.

I don't get it because their line is not unlisted or anything. It shows up just fine on other people's caller ids.

I'm out of ideas...anyone?
    I have the same problem in TN. I live in Nashville, TN area and my parents live in west TN. The phone company there is a small independent and their equipment is incompatable with Verizon's. Though it sends a caller ID signal, VZW cannot process it. Why? I have no idea and neither does the phone company. DPD
    "There ain't no future in the past." Vince Gill

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    My 4400 was doing the same thing, although after powering off and back on it seemed to work better.

It was registering the caller ID after I opened it up and answered it, I noticed it was showing who the caller was.

Phones
    Moto E815
    Moto Q9m
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    What I don't understand is how it is blocked because their land line is with Verizon itself and the caller ID shows up on other people's land lines and cell phones. It just doesn't show up on my phone.

And I wish that cycling the power on my phone would solve the problem, but I don't know how many times I've done that and the problem is still there. I even did *228 option 1.

It's just very mysterious...I could understand if their land line wasn't with Verizon and the caller ID wasn't showing up on any Verizon phones, but that's not the case at all. Just seems like the caller ID signal from their line to my cell phone is blocked.

Who do I call to have this fixed?

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    If its not reaching Verizon its not being sent over the network to your phone.

Best place to start, is to have them call someone else's Verizon phone to see if its even being passed there.
    You didn't mention...is it a long distance call ?? If so, then the trunks that carry it may not be SS7 capable, or they recently changed the routing of the call, sending it down a TG that isn't cabable. That would be where its getting blocked.

Do you get caller ID from everyone else??

Just trying to help get you started in troubleshooting.

Phones
    Moto E815
    Moto Q9m
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    So far, I've gotten caller ID from everyone else that has called me.

I called Verizon Wireless CS and they told me to call the land line service. My parent's land line is with Verizon itself though.

It isn't a long distance call...it has a different area code, but it's still in NJ.

And as I said, everyone else gets their caller ID.

Phones
    LG vx6000!
    Moto T720/730 (retired)
    Nokia 5185i (retired)
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless :)
    Feedback Score
    There is another post about this, but check it http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...hreadid=137963 and look at my post (Trazzer)
    Visit my site for some help with the Moto T720, and the T730. My site will tell you how to have flashing antennas for the Moto T720/T730, flashing back plate, and Louder, Faster, or Shorter Ringtones. I even have a way to get free ringtones no charge! I HAVE A WAY TO UPLOAD RINGTONES AND WALLPAPERS TO THE T730
    http://www.angelfire.com/extreme4/motot720/
    Also check out http://groups.yahoo.com/group/cdma_mobile_users_group

MY group! http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vzw_t730

Phones
    iPhone 5
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    This is happening a lot lately here in Delaware with me. From my friend with Cingular to my parents on Verizon landlines, to Sprint PCS. It's frankly pissing me off, and I hope it doesn't do this when I move to postpay (im on freeup), but this post is not encouraging. I'd say this happens 2 times a week.