Thread: Making the switch from Rogers to perhaps Fido

Device(s)
    Blackberry Curve 8320
    Feedback Score

Making the switch from Rogers to perhaps Fido

I've been a loyal Rogers custumer for over 8 years and finally have had enough of them!

Im making the switch!

Now, I just need some input as to whether Fido is the way to go.

I am getting the 55 dollar couple plan with the 15 an 11 dollar value packs for each phone respectively.This will work out to 107 dollars a month including system access fees and taxes. It's a 3 yr contract.

Is that worth it? Do you think I can get better elsewhere?

I know Rogers owns Fido .... but in terms of customer service, is Fido better?

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.2; U; Series60/3.1 NokiaN82/20.0.062; Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413)

I find both of them very bad... I guess one could say fido is slightly better, did you try getting a better plan by talking to retentions?

Device(s)
    Blackberry Curve 8320
    Feedback Score
    No...i just went to a Fido store in the mall.

Device(s)
    LG Xenon
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    My fiance and I just went on that EXACT same plan (even the 11 and 15 dollar value packs). We switched over from Bell.

So far, I'm pretty happy. I had to call Fido a few times to ask some questions, and I was connected to a human instantly every time, who spoke perfect english, so I was pleased with that.

I like the per second billing too.

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    Fido CSRs are generally good to deal with.

Any problems that you may read about on here are most likely to do with a new service that has launched. You'll get a lot of confusion because Fido tends to put lots of restrictions and doesn't explain it very clearly; so the information you will get from CSRs will be mixed and varied. Now that being said, Fido is generally forgiving and will work things out with because they do realize some of their CSRs may have given out incorrect info.

If you stick with Fido phones, don't travel with your cell phone, and generally don't overuse the phone, then Fido is great. Per-second billing is the greatest thing.

And my experiences over the many years i've been with Fido have been good. I've only ever had a problem with them once last month, but since it's been resolved without issues. Now I do use unlocked phones and use a full range of the features (data, mms, etc) so I do run into their "restrictions" more than say a person who just uses a cell phone for voice calls.

Plus coming to hofo you'll always get the good CSRs providing information and insight (when they aren't boycotting that is, hahaha).

Device(s)
    Primary/Corp: Rogers unl. BB 9000 (Telstra 5.0.0.771)
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility,
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sarah81
    I've been a loyal Rogers custumer for over 8 years and finally have had enough of them!

Im making the switch!

Now, I just need some input as to whether Fido is the way to go.

I am getting the 55 dollar couple plan with the 15 an 11 dollar value packs for each phone respectively.This will work out to 107 dollars a month including system access fees and taxes. It's a 3 yr contract.

Is that worth it? Do you think I can get better elsewhere?

I know Rogers owns Fido .... but in terms of customer service, is Fido better?
    From what I've read, Rogers is supposed to have "superior" customer service to Fido. But it's not been overly frustrating in the 9.5 years I've been with Fido.

I signed up for the $55 couples plan this morning myself. Hard to beat the value, especially with the 300 extra weekday minutes and the $10-per-line discount I was originally offered as incentive to renew. Nice thing was that I was already just 7 months into a new 2-year agreement, and they agreed to add on one year to the agreement term and give me the additional 300 minutes, which is supposed to be for new activations only.
    My Heatware

My HoFo Feedbacks

My Rig:
    i7 930, Zalman 9500AT, GA-X58A-UD3R, 6GB Corsair Kit, 120GB Vertex + 2TB + 500GB + 250GB, MSI R5770, LG WH08LS20 & BenQ DW1655, Dell 3007WFP-HC, Scythe YD-8V08, Antec 902, PC P&C Quad 750 Red, Win7 Ult. x64

HTPC:
    6000+, GA-MA78GM-S2H, 8GB, V-Rap150+2x250GB, LG HD-DVD/BD-ROM, Antec Solo, OCZ Z650W.

Past Phone Algebra:
    N5190, 6190, 8390, 6610 && x є {Moto V600, SE T637, 6600}, 6230i && x є {LG 2000, T610}, 6131, E50, 6300b, 6233, E51

Device(s)
    Blackberry Curve 8320
    Feedback Score
    I just spoke with FIDO .... and the supervisor was very helpful, though I can't say the same about the CSR's who pick up the phone.

Aciras - you said you use unlocked phones and still get the data, mms etc. I will be using my unlocked blackberry. They said I can't surf or use mobileemail, but I would still be able to use mms right?

Also, I have wifi on my phone, so I wouldn't get charged with Fido right? The CSR was trying to tell me that I could get charged ... somehow. I didn't quite get what he was trying to say.

Device(s)
    BLACKBERRY BOLD
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by waqqas31
    From what I've read, Rogers is supposed to have "superior" customer service to Fido.
    Fido Won the 2007 JD Power Award for Customer Service.

None of the other Rogers Lines of Business did that.

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 800
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sarah81
    I just spoke with FIDO .... and the supervisor was very helpful, though I can't say the same about the CSR's who pick up the phone.

Aciras - you said you use unlocked phones and still get the data, mms etc. I will be using my unlocked blackberry. They said I can't surf or use mobileemail, but I would still be able to use mms right?

Also, I have wifi on my phone, so I wouldn't get charged with Fido right? The CSR was trying to tell me that I could get charged ... somehow. I didn't quite get what he was trying to say.

For data, just make sure you get a data plan that has no restrictions on it. Their data plans, like rogers, have a silly amount of restrictions on some of them.

MMS doesn't matter, you get charged per message not per KB.

Blackberry may get the data running but you won't get regular blackberry service.

Mobile mail is an application restricted to certain Fido branded handsets. Heck, my phone has it and can't even sign up!!!!

Device(s)
    Nokia E71-2 + Jabra BT8010
    Carrier(s)
    FIDO
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shawntdot
    Fido Won the 2007 JD Power Award for Customer Service.

None of the other Rogers Lines of Business did that.
    thats true. i've called fido and rogers numerous times and the number of helpful fido reps far outnumber the amount of helpful rogers reps.
    17.50 EPP Fido
    200 Weekday
    UL evenings and weekends starting at 5
    $10 value pack (2500 txt, CID, VM)
    $10 credit/month
    + tax