Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever get charged for using too much data?

Phones
    Nokia N900
    Nokia N85
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Anyone ever get charged for using too much data?

I heard before that Sprint has overcharges for using too much data. (>5GB) I was wondering has anyone ever got charged? If so how much?

Phones
    HTC Touch Pro
    Sanyo MM-9000
    Samsung Alias
    Carriers
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    That's only a soft cap. It's not like Verizon's hard cap where you'll be charged $500 a gig overage. Basically, you can't go over 5 gigs consecutively or they'll terminate service. This only applies to data card and PAM plans.

Phones
    Palm 755p - My bastion of hope
    Samsung Rant - A testament to poor QC
    Samsung M520 - SUPERNOVA
    Carriers
    Sprint SERO
    Feedback Score
    but they only terminate data for that month right?
    Need a sprint referral number? PM me!

SATISFACTORY

Phones
    HTC Mogul
    Palm Treo 750
    Sony Ericsson K790a
    Carrier
    Sprint together with AT&T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    nobody has been charged that i know of, i know a friend that has been charged for tethering though. Just keep it below the 5G and ur good

Phones
    HTC Touch
    Blackberry 8703e
    Carriers
    Sprint SERO,
    Feedback Score
    What if I want to make it my personal mission to use as much data in my first month as possible without tethering?

Phones
    HTC Mogul
    Palm Treo 750
    Sony Ericsson K790a
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Nization
    What if I want to make it my personal mission to use as much data in my first month as possible without tethering?
    its a free country , the 5G limit doesnt apply to SERO yet, only to PAM (ones who pay) and the air cards. So technically u are still good, 5G is a lot i wont even reach that point with my use

Phones
    Sprint: iPhone 45-32
    Page Plus: Palm Pixi +
    AT&T:HP Pre3
    Feedback Score
    You will be killed by the people on your tower who want to use data too.
    iPhone 4S-32: Sprint SERO............Palm Pixi Plus: Page Plus ..............HP Pre3: AT&T GoPhone
    talk smart WB2YGF

Phones
    HTC Touch
    Blackberry 8703e
    Carriers
    Sprint SERO,
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by johncase3
    You will be killed by the people on your tower who want to use data too.
    Good point. I'll have to wear a disguise when in public...

In all serious though...I wonder if there might be a way to determine how many ppl reside in my area and/or how much bandwidth is available in the area?

Not sure what I'd do with such information, but it might be interesting to know. Perhaps a personal study of what days/times I'd have the network more "to myself" vs sharing with everyone around me?

Phones
    Sprint: iPhone 45-32
    Page Plus: Palm Pixi +
    AT&T:HP Pre3
    Feedback Score

In all serious though...I wonder if there might be a way to determine how many ppl reside in my area and/or how much bandwidth is available in the area?

Not sure what I'd do with such information, but it might be interesting to know. Perhaps a personal study of what days/times I'd have the network more "to myself" vs sharing with everyone around me?
    Unless you're a network engineer working for Sprint, you would never have access to that data. (You would also have to be knowledgeable enough to interpret the data correctly.)

Phones
    HTC Mogul
    Palm Treo 750
    Sony Ericsson K790a
    Carrier
    Feedback Score

i hope im not in your neighborhood

Phones
    HTC Touch Pro
    Sanyo MM-9000
    Samsung Alias
    Carriers
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    If you really want to do that for kicks, my recommendation would be to get a slingbox player or install Vtap and stream as many videos as possible. 39 hours of straight video will equate to about 5 gigs. Let us know how far you push the limit.

Phone
    Iphone 4s (16gb)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkid620
    If you really want to do that for kicks, my recommendation would be to get a slingbox player or install Vtap and stream as many videos as possible. 39 hours of straight video will equate to about 5 gigs. Let us know how far you push the limit.
    That worked for me. I had a broadband card and sprint gave me crap for not coming even close to the 5gb montly cap when I tried to cancel. (Just wanted to cancel with no ETF, since I didnt use the card anymore). I just popped the card in my laptop and stream my slingbox for several days, then called back with over 5gig :-)

Feedback Score
    With Bittorent and my new Rev A Windows Mobile 6.1 tethering at 1.8 to 2.2MB down and about 600kbps up.

I'll hit 5GB in 2 weeks since I leave my PC on 24/7 and let it go to down I use a 17" DELL laptop which barely uses and power so I keep my power usage down. But I'm close to filling up my 320GB HDD.

Phones
    HTC Touch Pro
    Sanyo MM-9000
    Samsung Alias
    Carriers
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine!
    With Bittorent and my new Rev A Windows Mobile 6.1 tethering at 1.8 to 2.2MB down and about 600kbps up.

I'll hit 5GB in 2 weeks since I leave my PC on 24/7 and let it go to down I use a 17" DELL laptop which barely uses and power so I keep my power usage down. But I'm close to filling up my 320GB HDD.
    Man, your peers must have some bad connections if it's going to take you two weeks to hit 5 gigs on Bittorrent. EV-DO Rev. A should be able to hit 5 gigs really fast. Better yet, if you really want to push the envelope for data usage, go download Shadow of Legend a few times. The game file is over 800 megabytes.

Phones
    HTC Touch
    Blackberry 8703e
    Carriers
    Sprint SERO,
    Feedback Score
    Yes, tethering you should be able to reach it quickly. I just want to be sure that they know what they're talking about when they tell me that 5GB is more than enough for the handset alone.

I don't necessarily need to read the 5GB mark, maybe just find a way to monitor my usage and estimate what it would take to reach it after about 1GB downloaded....

We'll see and I'll keep you guys updated on any of my findings.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast