Thread: Coverage in Door County, WI

Phones
    AT&T - BB 9000 Bold
    AT&T - Apple iPhone 3G 16GB (2.2)
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score

Coverage in Door County, WI

I am up in Egg Harbor Door County, and had a quick question about coverage. It seems like my phone is picking up a signal from across the bay (MNC 560, which I am guessing is the old Dobson). The phone also sometimes grabs on to MNC 770, however, coverage from that network is spotty at best, and seems like it is a network that had little planning involved. Are there any other GSM carriers up here, I seem to recall Einstein, but it doesn't look like roaming for ATT isn't allowed.

Is there a repeater that I could install in my house?

My old Verizon phone used to have much better coverage. Roaming on US Cell, or Alltel.

Thanks

Phones
    BB Bold 9700
    LG Vx-8500 Chocolate(retired)
    Motorola E815 (died 4/28/07)
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    My parents live in Forestville. I didn't have any EDGE but I did pick up a decent signal. There wouldn't be any GSM carriers north of Sturgeon Bay. Cellcom is the dominant provider in Door County.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmaster
    My parents live in Forestville. I didn't have any EDGE but I did pick up a decent signal. There wouldn't be any GSM carriers north of Sturgeon Bay. Cellcom is the dominant provider in Door County.
    Same. I was in Egg Harbor just 2 months ago and I got decent coverage, but no EDGE anywhere.

Phone
    Motorola VE20; Blackberry Tour 9630, Pearl 8120
    Carriers
    U.S. Cellular
    Feedback Score
    U.S. Cellular has the better network in Door county, Cellcom's is okay, but often on any carrier you're pulling a signal across the bay.
    I think Einstein has a network set up there (otherwise its Bug Tussel). I wouldn't be surprised if you're pulling signal from Marinette or Menomonee though. There's fringe service north of Sturgeon Bay, its pretty weak though.

Einstein's Network:
    http://www.gsmworld.com/cgi-bin/ni_map.pl?cc=us&net=ai
    Bug Tussel
    http://www.bugtusselwireless.com/htm...geMaps/ndc.htm
    Use what works for you!

I have too many phones, with too many carriers. This is not a good thing.
    The Fleet:
    Blackberry 8100, 8120, 9630
    Motorola: V60t, V120x, StarTac 7787, T731c, V551, V810, V3m, Z6m, Q
    Nokia: 8260, 6161i, 3100b, 3220b, 8860, 3585, 6101, 6200, 6820, 6230b, 5300
    LG: VX4400, VX6000, VX10, VX2000, UX565
    Kyocera 2235
    Sony-Ericsson T637
    Samsung SCH-a670, SGH-T219
    HTC Dash

Phones
    AT&T - BB 9000 Bold
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    It must be camping on a signal from across the bay, as it shows a network code of 560. What is Bug Tussel's MNC, also, they don't seem to have any data coverage, or at least allow the connection to a BES/BIS server.

I keep seeing IWireless, or at least what I think is IWireless 310-770 on my Blackberry.

Can anyone suggest a signal booster, so I could amp up the Dobson signal in my house?

Thanks again for the help.

Redwood Valley, Northwestern California (Previous-Pocatello, Idaho(90-97)/Southern California(71-90)
    Phone
    HTC One M8/LG G3/LG G Pad 7.0LTE
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Phones
    Nokia 8290 (TMO primary and site checker) / 6200 (850 roaming) / 6340i (AT&T PAYG and site checker)
    Nokia 8290 on Simple Mobile (T-Mobile site checker)
    6340i (AT&T site checker) / 6200 backup GSM phone with 850
    Carriers
    Simple Mobile / AT&T PAYG (for backup & checking cell sites) / PagePlus (trial)
    Vodafone NZ / M1 (SIN)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mlx52
    It must be camping on a signal from across the bay, as it shows a network code of 560. What is Bug Tussel's MNC, also, they don't seem to have any data coverage, or at least allow the connection to a BES/BIS server.

I keep seeing IWireless, or at least what I think is IWireless 310-770 on my Blackberry.
    It's possible Bug Tussel's MCC-MNC is 311-770, because IWireless coverage supposedly ends about 150-200 miles to the southwest of your home.

Is your phone showing 310-770 or US 770?
    AT&T and T-Mobile SF Bay Area+ Cell Sites - with Cell ID labels
    http://sfocellsites.com/
    Over 1,100 AT&T sites in the 9 Bay Area counties + San Benito, Santa Cruz and Monterey counties
    Now over 1,500 T-Mobile sites in these 12 counties

Phone
    Carriers
    U.S. Cellular
    Feedback Score
    my t-mobile line always shows iwireless when i'm roaming on bug.
    i heard the backhaul back to iwireless' switch in iowa. not sure if this is true or not.

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    If you're north of Sturgeon Bay, you are likely on BugTussel's network. You can tell by listening for pretty high latency when you talk...Bug's system uses microwave links between cells, and very often you'll get a bunch of delay when having a conversation.

Bug does carry data - my Blackberry works pretty much wherever I can get cell service.

I know that the phones will try to connect to Menominee when you're close enough, but that's pretty rare.

I can tell you that at Shipwrecked my AT&T phone gets a great signal, while my friend's Sprint phone has no service.

The coverage in Northern Door is pretty good on AT&T. I've been through Egg Harbor, Bailey's Harbor, Ephraim and Fish Creek, and have had no problems.

Phones
    BB Bold 9700
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    You might be getting a weak signal from across the Lake but that won't happen everyday. I bet it's like the radio. You can pick up a radio station in Travers City about 75% of the time but forget it the rest of the time.

Are you going to live up there or just vacationing?

Phones
    AT&T - BB 9000 Bold
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Just vacationing for a few weeks out of the year. Not a huge pain, but found myself in a situation I haven't been in for a long time, asking someone if I could use their landline to make a call.

Sometimes my phone will show SOS only, which makes me believe that Einstein might have the best coverage up here (GSM wise), but ATT isn't allowed to roam on them.

Thanks again.

Edit: I might go buy a prepaid phone to solve the coverage issue inside of my house, what is the consensus, Cellcom, or USCC? Or would it be better to buy a repeater/booster for inside of my house?

Phone
    Carriers
    U.S. Cellular
    Feedback Score
    uscc prepay is cheaper than cellcom, and you can get a chicago number.
    a repeater can be good if you're up there a lot but those usually run about $300 or so. They usually support 850/1900 on both GSM/CDMA. (i'm sure you could find one cheaper), a Yagi antenna might also be a good idea, but again will be kinda not cheap.

Phones
    AT&T - BB 9000 Bold
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    I would be interested in a booster, that way my 3 kids wouldn't have to fight over the prepaid phone. Any good ones out there, that people have used?

Phones
    BB Bold 9700
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    and using SKYPE is out of the question because of no broadband I suppose. (hey my parents just got 256k dsl 2 months ago!)

Phones
    AT&T - BB 9000 Bold
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Nope, 5 meg Charter connection, although up until last year it was 56k and painful. And Skype is out for my kids, since the concept of talking on the phone seems to be lost on them, its all texting.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast