Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: National T-Mobile 3G launch Oct. 1st?

Phones
    Nexus One
    N97 Mini (SOLD)
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    there is no roaming on ATT 3G. the few posts about 3G showing up on their tmobile phone were because tmobile was temporarily testing or something. even in areas where tmobile has no 3G coverage, there wont be any roaming on ATT 3G. i doubt there EVER will be 3G roaming between the 2 companies. and there CERNTAINLY wont be any roaming in the immediate future. reason i say this is because there are no quadband 3G phones in existence now, or the foreseeable future. all manufacturers upcoming phone announcements seem to classify the different carrier versions as separate versions with individualized 3G bands, rather than all bands in one phone. so no 3g roaming.
    Current Device: Nexus One
    Phone History: |N97 Mini| |5800| |E71-2| |N95-4| |N95-3| |N75| |6131| |6230| |SE T616|

| My HoFo Feedback |

Phones
    Nokia E65
    Nokia 6263
    Carriers
    T-Mobile currently.
    Was a Sprint customer from 1999-2003. You couldn't pay me to use Sprint again.
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerPodacter
    there is no roaming on ATT 3G. the few posts about 3G showing up on their tmobile phone were because tmobile was temporarily testing or something. even in areas where tmobile has no 3G coverage, there wont be any roaming on ATT 3G. i doubt there EVER will be 3G roaming between the 2 companies. and there CERNTAINLY wont be any roaming in the immediate future. reason i say this is because there are no quadband 3G phones in existence now, or the foreseeable future. all manufacturers upcoming phone announcements seem to classify the different carrier versions as separate versions with individualized 3G bands, rather than all bands in one phone. so no 3g roaming.
    That was not what I was talking about at all. There was a member who was supposedly able to force his phone to roam on an AT&T 3g network for a time. I believe he was in the Chicago area. This was long before the posts discussing T-Mo testing 3g on the 1900 band. This topic of 3g roaming has gone way off track. The only reason I mentioned this in the first place was as anecdotal evidence that 3g sim cards do not exist. Rather, all sim cards can use any type of network.
    MacBook Pro tethered to Nokia 6263 via Bluetooth
    (waiting for the 3G)
    This area of town seems to be slow
    (For some reason Speedtest thinks I'm in London while tethered)

Comcast Cable at home via WiFi

Phones
    Nokia 8290 (TMO primary and site checker) / 6200 (850 roaming) / 6340i (AT&T PAYG and site checker)
    Nokia 8290 on Simple Mobile (T-Mobile site checker)
    6340i (AT&T site checker) / 6200 backup GSM phone with 850
    Carriers
    Simple Mobile / AT&T PAYG (for backup & checking cell sites) / PagePlus (trial)
    Vodafone NZ / M1 (SIN)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TimoSuomi
    ...The only reason I mentioned this in the first place was as anecdotal evidence that 3g sim cards do not exist. Rather, all sim cards can use any type of network.
    AT&T actually had to reissue SIM cards to customers to enable 3G access. Their old SIMs wouldn't work on 3G, but the newer ones do. That was when they started putting the 3G logo on their SIMs.

Perhaps T-Mobile SIMs do not have the limitation of older AT&T/Cingular SIMs.
    AT&T and T-Mobile SF Bay Area+ Cell Sites - with Cell ID labels
    http://sfocellsites.com/
    Over 1,100 AT&T sites in the 9 Bay Area counties + San Benito, Santa Cruz and Monterey counties
    Now over 1,500 T-Mobile sites in these 12 counties

Phone
    iPhone 5s, Black
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    are you sure about that, I could swear that the whole 3G logo sim was pure marketing and other than being 64K for their EONS service the sims were no different from their previous ones.

Jeff
    HoFo Feedback

Phones
    Nokia E65
    Nokia 6263
    Carriers
    T-Mobile currently.
    Was a Sprint customer from 1999-2003. You couldn't pay me to use Sprint again.
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffro01
    are you sure about that, I could swear that the whole 3G logo sim was pure marketing and other than being 64K for their EONS service the sims were no different from their previous ones.

Jeff
    This is what I read a long time back. Regardless, the current T-Mobile sims work fine with 3g. How else would members like ThorBlazeDragon be able to use the 3g network in NY without upgrading sims?

Phones
    Nokia 8290 (TMO primary and site checker) / 6200 (850 roaming) / 6340i (AT&T PAYG and site checker)
    Carriers
    Vodafone NZ / M1 (SIN)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffro01
    I think it involved something called the UICC. Basically I think it needed an extra identifier or logic to be able to authenticate to a UMTS network.

I'm sure others will soon chime in on the truth of this; I don't have a 3G phone myself.

I imagine T-Mobile had the foresight to include that in their SIMs long ago.

Check this out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UICC

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Sony Xperia Ion AWS HSPA + LTE
    Carriers
    T-Mobile Simple Plan 4 lines (unlimited on one and 2.5GB sharing on another) $130 | 4.5GB MBB
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TimoSuomi
    This is what I read a long time back. Regardless, the current T-Mobile sims work fine with 3g. How else would members like ThorBlazeDragon be able to use the 3g network in NY without upgrading sims?
    the SIM I used was "Stick Together" one, the most recent
    I replace frequently because it gets worn out fast

Phones
    LG G2
    LG G2
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SHoTTa35
    As far as i know, Baltimore is different from the DC market. I'm not sure how far it goes up but i'd say to columbia west to frederick, south to woodbridge and east to annapolis and all that.

Sprint will launch it's WiMax in the Baltimore market i think it said. They mentioned the DC market separately.
    Thanks, I just thought I remembered that one of the carriers did consolidate the two areas into one market. If it is TMO I could can my prepay(TMO) and get in on some of the 3G action.

My theory is that it may be cheaper than at&t, but more importantly less oversold. At least until contracts expire or some kind of new data hungry(Google phone) device makes the seen.

It looks like Sprint will go WiMAX in both markets, and that's great, but phones with WiMAX aren't in the near future. I define the future as the length of a contract and/or the life of a device.
    Today a group of leading venture capitalists published an open letter to the FCC calling on them to prevent what they say would be the end of net neutrality and a crippling blow to young startups.
    No Google, say it ain't (or wouldn't of been ) so! ATT and Verizon would have killed their own cash cow.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ThorBlaze Dragon
    you still can get HSDPA speed tethering with the SE phones
    I read that T-Mobile will utilize 2 or more T1s for increasing voice and data traffic
    t1 is only 1.5mbps how the hell could they get 7.2mbps off of 3mbps. damn tmobile technology must be insane!

i hope what you're saying isn't true

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Sony Xperia Ion AWS HSPA + LTE
    Carriers
    T-Mobile Simple Plan 4 lines (unlimited on one and 2.5GB sharing on another) $130 | 4.5GB MBB
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (HP 211 and nokia 6263: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.7))

Quote Originally Posted by Harley4point6L
    Quote Originally Posted by ThorBlaze Dragon
    you still can get HSDPA speed tethering with the SE phones
    I read that T-Mobile will utilize 2 or more T1s for increasing voice and data traffic
    t1 is only 1.5mbps how the hell could they get 7.2mbps off of 3mbps. damn tmobile technology must be insane!

i hope what you're saying isn't true
    pricewise
    T3 line is a lot more expensive
    you should feel lucky you get 1Mbps most of the time with ANY carrier

Phone
    Samsung T519 (Trace)
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by etorres769
    I think it's true. The service here has been acting weird for a while. Duplicate text messages being sent out, calls not going through the first time, etc.
    Yeah, same here.

I've read some pretty definite sounding articles too...unfortunately, I can't remember where the heck I read them...but they were trust-worthy enough to make me believe them.

Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Hopefully the 3G rollout in socal is better than ATT's 3G roll out. Hopefully we have 3G in more areas than ATT.

Phones
    Nokia 6610, Touch Pro II, HTC HD7
    Nokia N-Gage QD, Motorola L7089 Timeport
    Nokia 3300, T-Mobile Dash
    Carrier
    T-Mobile (Since Omnipoint!)
    Feedback Score
    Talking about ATT's 3G coverage don't know if anyone saw this. Also don't know why I find it so funny...

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=1983&tag=nl.e550

Phones
    Carriers
    Vodafone NZ / M1 (SIN)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jamssx
    Talking about ATT's 3G coverage don't know if anyone saw this. Also don't know why I find it so funny...

It's funny/sad. A lot of people probably did their homework, mixed with a little wishful thinking, and were unaware how bogus AT&T's coverage maps can be.

Unfortunately, AT&T might not get the feedback they deserve (returned phones) since many of these folks will be the iphone groupies who can't let go.

Phones
    LG G2
    LG G2
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jamssx

If I posted that?

Update: After a lengthy phone call with AT&T technical support they told me that they’re looking into the problem with the 3G coverage in my area. I had one small glimmer of hope after the rep suggested a soft reset of my iPhone (hold the sleep and home buttons until the phone powers off). After doing this I briefly saw the 3G icon light up on my phone (in my back yard) but it was gone 30 seconds later, never to return. Needless to say, I’m severely disappointed given the “full” 3G coverage that AT&T promised in my area. The AT&T coverage viewer borders on fraud.
    Accounting 101: Out of the millions supposedly sold(1 million on the first day in all the world not US) set aside the ones that activation got got in the US, and subtract the 3G areas that aren't 3G areas and those in over sold capacity areas and you end up with "The old ATTW".

Stephen Colbert explains AT&T

http://www.glumbert.com/media/att

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast