Phones
    SoftBank 707SC, Neonode N2, Altacel OT-710D
    SoftBank Samsung 707SC
    Neonode N2
    Carrier
    Telus CDMA... for now
    Feedback Score

Flashing/unlocking Tracfone W175g

While down in NYC, I got a Trac W175 which I'd eventually like to use with a Canadian GSM carrier.

I've heard Tracfone's crappy firmware would cause problems even if I managed to unlock my W175 and use it with another provider - something to do with Trac's minute tracker or some such.

Anyway, seeing as the W175 has a standard mini-USB connector, my MP3 player's cable has been recycled into a USB cable for the W175.

After some tweaking, I got the W175 working on my XP comp, and when connected, the phone shows up as "Motorola Flash Interface", which from what I read, is the way it's supposed to be.

All that's left to do is to replace Trac's firmware, and crack the SIM lock. I know, I know, the marketplace has plenty of reliable places where I could get the SIM lock cracked, but it sounds a bit pointless to pay for something I can do myself, does it?

So, if anyone happens to have a copy of some generic GSM Moto firmware and tools to crack the SIM lock and cares to share it with me, as well as point me in the right direction to succesfully see the operation through, I'd love to hear from ya. Via PM, please.
    Tracfone W175g is IMPOSSIBLE to flash. If you don't want to use it with Trac, it's WORTHLESS. Stop PM'ing me!

Phones
    SoftBank Samsung 707SC
    Neonode N2
    Carrier
    Telus CDMA... for now
    Feedback Score
    Okay, thanks to Luddite, I have found the firmware I need, so that's one thing taken care of.

Now, to flash the phone. Anyone can give me a hand? If all else fails I'll drop by a Fido service center and have them reflash my phone with their own dumb firmware.

Feedback Score

firmware 175g

I bought the tracfone with the same intenstions so i can use it with rogers. Can you direct me to where i can go to get this phone to work.

Phones
    Motorola Q (Alltel)
    HTC Aria
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by greekcyre
    I bought the tracfone with the same intenstions so i can use it with rogers. Can you direct me to where i can go to get this phone to work.
    Please PM stuff like that. Leave it off the forums. Makes a lot less work for the moderators.
    Scott M. in New Mexico

Here's a laugh: http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?p=11989818

Phone
    Q
    Carriers
    Sprint
    Feedback Score

Help?

Yea, I recently bought a w175g from Tracfone as well with the intent of unlocking for use in Europe, and also a c168i also from Motorola but as far as I know those are un-unlockable. dealextreme has a few interesting devices for sale in particular:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14281

and I was thinking about perhaps trying them out, but Il'd rather figure out how to unlock it myself, so if anyone can point me in a free or very inexpensive direction for unlocking these phones you will have my gratitude. please PM me.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by eekonstantin

i do believe,but dont quote me. that those are the sim hacks for japanese phones. someone wana comfirm that.???

http://howardforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=418

Phone
    Q
    Carriers
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    http://www.thnox.com/category/ismartphone/

This website also sells it, for cheaper too, but yea, I remember seeing somewhere on there that it works for all phones.

Phones
    SoftBank Samsung 707SC
    Neonode N2
    Carrier
    Telus CDMA... for now
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, that add-on which makes a locked phone behave like an unlocked phone. Well, TBH, it did crossed my mind, but there is one big problem this little gizmo doesen't solve - Trac's crappy firmware which is programmed to reject every single SIM except the one that came bundled with the phone. I don't know if it could circumvent this perticular restriction of Tracfone, but even if it did, there is still the minute tracker to get rid of.

And I was told by a friend of mine that Trac's W175g is supposed to be a new firmware revision, and that flashing it with a generic unlocked firmware would brick the phone.

I don't doubt his word... but there's GOT to be a way - I like the W175g, and goes without saying I HATE seeing it sitting on my night table as an ornament...!

Feedback Score
    Tracfone disables the USB port, so I'm not sure how anyone can connect to flash it. I've tried with mine and there is no way to communicate with it.

Phones
    Evo Shift 4G
    Evo Shift 4G
    Side kick
    Carriers
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I am also intrested in transfering my W175 to a diffrent service can anyone tell me what software I would need.. Thanks!

Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Feedback Score
    Has anyone had any luck with this yet? I would love to flask my W175 to a regular W175

Phones
    SoftBank Samsung 707SC
    Neonode N2
    Carrier
    Telus CDMA... for now
    Feedback Score
    Kay, so I received five or six PMs about this thread. As stated above, even with the proper firmware, Trac DOES disable all kinds of USB connectivity and data transfer therefore making it impossible to interface it with a PC, which means no flash nor flexing nor unlocking.

I long gave up on the W175.

Feedback Score
    I have a Motorola W175g (a TracFone branded headset), which I got through a government-sponsored program for low-income individuals (SafeLink Wireless) which does NOT have the USB port blocked (from my best guess). When I plug it into my PC (which runs Linux), a device entry in the 'lsusb' list appears, and checking the /proc/bus/usb/devices list reveals it's a communications-class device. Also, my phone has a built-in method to preform SIM Unlocking.

From the Main Menu, you go to Office Tools, then to SIM App. Under that menu is only one entry, "Unlock".

This shows a series of 3 different numbers, a ICC-ID (in my case, 8901410321196006217), a IMEI checksum (6204), and then a random number. After all that, you are then prompted to key in a unlock code, which I assume then unlocks your phone.

Yes, this is a Motorola W175g, with TracFone branding. Yes, it does connect (sorta, I lack software) via USB.

Phones
    Motorola RAZR V3a
    UTStarcom PPC-6700
    Motorola W175g
    Carriers
    Alltel Wireless
    At&t Mobility
    Feedback Score

Halp!

Hello,
    I also bought a W175g and I gave up on paying for it. It's TracFone branded and I need help Reflashing it into a normal W175. RockerDongle.com won't work for me unless you buy a dongle. It will show up on my computer (Windows Vista H. P.) as a motorola flash device or a modem. If anyone could help me out I would really appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by Notorious0601
    Okay, thanks to Luddite, I have found the firmware I need, so that's one thing taken care of.

Now, to flash the phone. Anyone can give me a hand? If all else fails I'll drop by a Fido service center and have them reflash my phone with their own dumb firmware.

Phones
    Audiovox 8910 (V7 Flasher)
    Kyocera K127 (MARBL)
    Motorola W175g
    Carriers
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Well, to begin with, I'm not interested in switching carriers, but I did want to know what was possible with this model.

I tried a USB cable, and got it to react when installed as different devices (reboots but never into a charge cycle). I even got it to the point that I could flash it with the right tools, but I basically want to use moto phone tools to change tones and wallpaper, and be able to charge via usb. (modem would be nice but too expensive to even think of trying)

Is there a way around this that is being worked on? Also, I read that you can't switch sims between Tracfones. Is that a brick wall too?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast