Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score

Device(s)
    Sony Ericsson k790a
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Based on the number of hits to my 'EV-DO in NS' blog (which peaked at more than 1000 per day a few days ago, but has now dropped off considerably), it seems likely that Telus (probably having been burned by the client, media and public reaction) has abandoned or scaled back their campaign. If anyone else is still getting letters or calls, please post the details here.

I believe that I have pulled the run out from under their claimed prohibition on 'multi-media streaming' since they actually are advertising it (even now) as a capability of EV-DO. And this was the claimed violation in my case.

The admission by their spokesman Jim Johnson that the real issue is the excess usage of the "Unlimited" service will help the authorities with their inquiries.

The fact that even the heavy users are using on average only a very small fraction of the available bandwidth of just one EV-DO channel reveals that the issue is almost certainly more financial than technical.

I've lost count of how many times I was told that my 'Unlimited' service was really really unlimited. I'll really have to make a list for later reference.

Device(s)
    Treo $15 U/L EV-DO, Rogers Bold from work
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS Mobility = LiMit obTUSEly
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sympatico
    Jim Johannsson, spokesman for Telus, said the company was not forcing customers onto other plans and would continue to honour the Connect 75 Unlimited option for those already signed up.
    So for those who have had cancellation calls but haven't yet lost their service, HAS TELUS DROPPED THE ISSUE??? Where does this stand??

Quote Originally Posted by Sympatico
    A small number of customers - or "0.1 per cent" - were being cancelled, he said, because their heavy usage was slowing the company's wireless network and affecting speeds for the vast majority of users.
    That makes it sound like the reporter doesn't even believe Johannsson's BS.

Jim Johannsson is working so hard to draw the press' attention away from the real issue.

Dear The Media,

It's not a question of TELUS' right to restrict the use and abuse of any of their services. Of course they can do that. IT IS A QUESTION OF TELUS HAVING TO INFORM CLIENTS OF THE RESTRICTIONS CLEARLY so that we can decide whether to buy the service and how we are going to use it.

Sincerely,
    W4lker

To sell a bunch of service that comes with substantial restrictions, and not tell clients what those restrictions are at the time that they're signing contracts and making technology investments, is bad behaviour on TELUS' part. It's also the exact thing that Verizon got its' peepee smacked for.

Again, Johannsson keeps trying to get the media to overlook the simple facts of what TELUS has done by talking about how evil and abusive TELUS clients are. Demonizing the client is not necessarily a good long-term PR strategy, especially if the real story is clearly one of pure corporate douchebaggery. Jim.

Device(s)
    Sony Ericsson k790a
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Telus has CLEARLY been engaging in Deceptive Marketing Practices with their blatant abuse of the term "Unlimited". The fact that their spokesman posted a comment onto the Globe & Mail where he subtly renamed the 'Connect 75 Unlimited' rate plan without the 3rd word "Unlimited" is another indication of their approach to corporate spin. The discrepancies between what the senior staff claim and what certain call-center folks have admitted provides some additional insight into this dynamic story. Another amusing glitch in their strategy is that they advertise using their EV-DO for STREAMING and MULTI-MEDIA and then claim that such use is prohibited and grounds for service cancellation.

As far as I'm concerned, the regulators need to give these guys a major smack.

The CCTS can perhaps work to protect those folks with the contract-dispute angle, but the DECEPTIVE MARKETING PRACTICES also need to be addressed by the Competition Bureau or other agencies with teeth. Just because these guys are in the wireless business does not give them a free pass for breaking the laws of the land.

"Unlimited" means without limit, not a paltry 5GB.

Much more on my blog: http://evdo-novascotia.blogspot.com/

Device(s)
    iPhone 4 32GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    EV-DO in NS,

I look at this from an outside view. Telus still markets plans as "unlimited" even today. The whole industry uses the word unlimited in advertising its plans. My complaint with the Competition Bureau revolves around the entire way the Canadain wireless industry advertises unlimited plans.

If something says unlimited, then it should be unlimited. Any restrictions should be clearly advertised. It is the sellers responsibility to make clear any terms.

As any lawyer knows, a party can only be bound to terms when it is reasonable to believe that they consented to the terms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tilden_...v._Clendenning

The Competition Bureau has to enforce the Competition Act.

Competition Act:
    PART VII.1
    DECEPTIVE MARKETING PRACTICES
    Reviewable Matters

Section 74.01 (1) A person engages in reviewable conduct who, for the purpose of promoting, directly or indirectly, the supply or use of a product or for the purpose of promoting, directly or indirectly, any business interest, by any means whatever,

(b) makes a representation to the public that is false or misleading in a material respect;

http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/showdoc...rbo-ga:l_VII_1

The Bureau cannot push this problem to the CCTS.

Go here to participate in changing Canada's Digital Future! http://de-en.gc.ca/home/

Canada's Net Neutrality Petition http://www.saveournet.ca/

Dissolve the CRTC! http://dissolvethecrtc.ca/

Feedback Score

Device(s)
    IR GS BL00D Phone X N0 B.efore C.hrist E.ntity.. |nfinite HELLUS™ TnT $pawn + Ted§ Hell Hound TˇTher
    Carrier(s)
    M¤ther Nature !... @SS2MOUTH Death 0f SELFie -> HardWare Opiates
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Tony Welcome to the Telus Forum!
    EnGrish 101 is about to begin.
    Please take your seats class as we learn of the constant fluctuations & various definitions of the word ''UNLlMlTED''.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony2468
    EV-DO in NS,

I look at this from an outside view. Telus still markets plans as "unlimited" even today. The whole industry uses the word unlimited in advertising its plans. My complaint with the Competition Bureau revolves around the entire way the Canadain wireless industry advertises unlimited plans.

If something says unlimited, then it should be unlimited. Any restrictions should be clearly advertised. It is the sellers responsibility to make clear any terms.

As any lawyer knows, a party can only be bound to terms when it is reasonable to believe that they consented to the terms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tilden_...v._Clendenning

The Competition Bureau has to enforce the Competition Act.

Competition Act:
    PART VII.1
    DECEPTIVE MARKETING PRACTICES
    Reviewable Matters

Section 74.01 (1) A person engages in reviewable conduct who, for the purpose of promoting, directly or indirectly, the supply or use of a product or for the purpose of promoting, directly or indirectly, any business interest, by any means whatever,

(b) makes a representation to the public that is false or misleading in a material respect;

http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/showdoc...rbo-ga:l_VII_1

The Bureau cannot push this problem to the CCTS.

Feedback Score

Device(s)
    Treo $15 U/L EV-DO, Rogers Bold from work
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS Mobility = LiMit obTUSEly
    Feedback Score
    CLASSIC!

Feedback Score
    Im confused... my brother just signed up for a data plan which has similar multimedia streaming fine print.... supposedly that fine print means YouTube is bad... then why did his HTC Touch Diamond come with a YouTube application preinstalled?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Raegoul
    Im confused... my brother just signed up for a data plan which has similar multimedia streaming fine print.... supposedly that fine print means YouTube is bad... then why did his HTC Touch Diamond come with a YouTube application preinstalled?

Fine print says:
    Quote Originally Posted by telus
    Unlimited Web browsing applies to PCS phones only and applies to usage within the phone's Web browser. Tethered usage is not included. Downloads and application fees are charged separately where applicable. Web browsing is only available on digital phones in TELUS digital service area.'
    What's up with youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by Telus Service Terms & Conditions
    You will use the service for customary voice, messaging and wireless Internet data purposes only. You will not use the service for: multi-media streaming; voice over Internet protocol; or any other application which uses excessive network capacity or may otherwise adversely impact other users, that is not made available to you by TELUS. You will not resell the service to any other person. You will not abuse any flat rate or unlimited use service plan offered by TELUS. You will not use the service to operate an e-mail, web, news or other similar service.

-How an average user can tell when what he did on the Telus network have an impact on other users? It should be Telus job to have a network that can support the service they sell, right?

- 'customary wireless Internet data purposes'. In my house on my (WiFi) wireless internet I download what I want and use media streaming Customary. Is that what they mean?

- 'You will not use the service for: multi-media streaming' , Is the Youtube client coming with the Diamond stream media? oops

Device(s)
    Sony Ericsson k790a
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    The prohibition on "multi-media streaming" is invalid (at least with respect to the EV-DO network) since they clearly claim that such usage is a key capability.

http://evdo-novascotia.blogspot.com/...ote-telus.html

All Telus EV-DO users with "Unlimited" data rate plans should feel free to watch as many YouTube videos as they wish.

Feedback Score
    Is there really that much people that download that much on the Telus wireless network,? that it as effect on other user... !?

I think I gonna start Download 'Torrent' on my phone all night till they call me,,,
    How can I know if I effect other users, anyway who use internet on his cellphone over the night!

Device(s)
    Blackberry Tour 9630, Blackberry Storm 9530
    Carrier(s)
    Telus Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by w4lker
    CLASSIC!

probably one of the funniest things ive ever seen on this site

Device(s)
    iPhone 4 32GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by w4lker
    CLASSIC!

Classic indeed...

That Girls cute though, makes me wanna buy a Ford!

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast