Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread: Connect 75 Unlimited - Telus trying to force me into $65/1GB

Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    "Unlimited" always has a fair use policy attached to it. So if you're using a ton of bandwidth consistently you're bound to get a penalty.

Device(s)
    Moto X
    Carrier(s)
    Fido Solutions
    Feedback Score
    What's so damn hard to understand?

It's UNLIMITED for appropriate uses.

It's NOT unlimited for whatever the hell you want.

It's not false advertising and it's not unclear.

Best regards.

FIDO $40/4GB BYOD
    PUBLIC $38/4GB BYOD
    WIND $15 AITF unlimited data (10GB full speed)

All my posts are my own opinion only and not necessarily that of any of my employers, past or present.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4 32GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TomeOne
    "Unlimited" always has a fair use policy attached to it. So if you're using a ton of bandwidth consistently you're bound to get a penalty.
    Question, what is "Fair Use"?
    Go here to participate in changing Canada's Digital Future! http://de-en.gc.ca/home/

Canada's Net Neutrality Petition http://www.saveournet.ca/

Dissolve the CRTC! http://dissolvethecrtc.ca/

Device(s)
    BLACKBERRY BOLD
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    whatever they want it to be because YOU agreed to it.

Feedback Score
    Round 344532 of ythe whole .. "Unlimited" round.. urgh

Device(s)
    Active: iPhone 4S (Telus), HTC Touch (Bell), BlackBerry Z10 (Rogers), Sony Xperia U (Fido)
    Carrier(s)
    Telus, Bell, Rogers, Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MikieCGY
    Round 344532 of ythe whole .. "Unlimited" round.. urgh
    lol yup. I can't remember how many times I've seen the dictionary term for "unlimited" posted here.
    Five years on HowardsForums

Feedback Score
    I've gotten two calls and a letter and I've had a couple of chats. Doesn't look good. Basically there are three reps for all of Canada calling everyone with one of the unlimited contracts, starting at the heavy users first and working their way down until all unlimited contracts are wiped out.

They are not terminating the contracts they are phasing out the unlimited. When I mentioned that the contract actually states that during the service period Telus will not change the rates or the amount of time, translates to data transfer he quote section 18 of the t&c that states:

These service rates (including any rates and charges) may be changed unilaterally by Telus Mobility from time to time on at least thirty (30) days notice to you....

Apparently this gives them the right to change your contract, so he says.

Haven't read all the posts but on another forum a rep was quoted saying the unlimited was actually only good for 5 Gb. Can anyone else verify this?

Reason is, I feel the service was fraudulently represented, considering that everyone, all the people who bought in, the salesreps at the stores and even the people at the Telus call center believe that unlimited meant just that.

I'm in an area where the cable company wants $107,000 just to run cable to the house so when I heard about the 75 unlimited I jumped at it. Went to the store and told the salespeople I had a small home network with 4 systems and would like to use the card to share the internet. The salespeople even suggested that the 75 plan was best because it was unlimited.

Even in the t&c there is no statement that specifically states any restrictions with regard to volume of data transfer only a vague statement in section 5 about any other application that uses excessive network capacity or may adversly affect other user. (I'll post on this point again)

So having been told by the salepeople the service was unlimited and having read over the terms and conditions and finding nothing specifying any caps or restrictions I believed that unlimited meant just that.

Having now found out that there was actually an undisclosed cap of 5 Gb it's really looking like I was deceived, I bought something believing it was geuinely unlimited but turned out not to be.

Feedback Score
    With regards to section 5 of t&c

I was told Telus doesn't support 3rd party software or applications and therefore anything you use that wasn't provided by Telus is a suspect application.

I tried to argue that the statement actually reads "..not made available by Telus Mobility...", not "...not provided by Telus Mobility..", and by Telus making the internet available it makes available any application that you can get from the internet.

I registered a complaint with the CCTS

Commissioner for Complaints for Telecommunications Services Inc. (CCTS)

Telus is one of their members

http://www.ccts-cprst.ca/en/

They will also try to pass it on to another agency if they can't help.

History Lesson at http://evdo-novascotia.blogspot.com/

I think this will be the way to do it.

Device(s)
    Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Unlimited isn't unlimited anymore on my Connect Plan thread has been merged into this one.

Device(s)
    Treo $15 U/L EV-DO, Rogers Bold from work
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS Mobility = LiMit obTUSEly
    Feedback Score
    wow I'm not liking how this story is shaping up

sounds like these douchebags never heard that No means No

What are we going to do folks? Choose a day and an hour and all call the call centres at the same time to read the same complaint?

Get together and file a complaint with the CRTC or Jim Prentice?

The thing is that the Internet is changing. A definition of "abuse" from 12 months ago would be "normal" today. And what's "abuse" today will be 100% normal next year.

The only way that TELUS will listen is if we start to make noise about it. It has to get in the newspaper, on the radio, and on TV.

Keep posting your experiences to this thread: how much you downloaded and what they said to you. For everyone who posts to this thread, there are probably 1000 others who didn't know about HoFo.

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Has anyone in Alberta gotten a call / letter yet? or is it just the eastern provinces?

Device(s)
    Treo $15 U/L EV-DO, Rogers Bold from work
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS Mobility = LiMit obTUSEly
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by i.Fido
    What's so damn hard to understand?

It's UNLIMITED for appropriate uses.

It's NOT unlimited for whatever the hell you want.

It's not false advertising and it's not unclear.

Best regards.
    No way can there be a flexible, carrier-defined, ever changing definition of APPROPRIATE USE OF THE INTERNET.

TELUS does not decide how the internet may and may not be used. By definition, only the police can do that. If a company offers unlimited use of the internet, that company has to provide it.

Tempting people with unlimited service is a risk that any business takes with its' eyes open. It comes with higher risks, and there is the potential for greater rewards. That's why businesses take that risk: they are greedy for more customers and more profit.

If you run a buffet, you know that for every 10 tables who eat $20 worth of food, someone is going to come in and eat $100 worth. So serving 11 tables will cost $300, and you price accordingly. You either make money or lose money, depending on how you CHOSE to play the odds.

TELUS CHOSE to play the odds too. They knew that there would be scads of executives who just want to reply to email from the Go Train on the way to work. And they also knew that there would be oilfield workers renting 3 movies a night off of iTunes in their well logging shacks. TELUS has highly-paid statisticians who determined the estimated cost of the service, and they set their rate plans accordingly.

Like buffet owners tempting people with the ability to "get more than their money's worth," TELUS went into it with their eyes open.

If TELUS has decided that they have gambled wrong: that they offered prices that weren't profitable enough -- how is that my fault? TELUS set the bait, they lured customers in, and now they're finding out that their plan to take lots of money and provide very little in return has failed.

Further, they have made this gamble based on the assumption that THE INTERNET WOULD NOT CHANGE. Think of how absurd that sentence sounds. They offered the plan based on the assumption that nobody would use more bandwidth in 2008 than in 2006 when they likely did their statistics.

Bad idea, you fail, not my fault, and not grounds for you to yank my contract.

People forget that we clients are under contract, but TELUS is under contract too. They have an obligation to provide the service they sold in good faith.
    Last edited by w4lker; 08-21-2008 at 10:37 PM.

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Priv, BlackBerry Classic
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (BB Curve 8330: BlackBerry8330/4.3.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/126 UP.Browser/5.0.3.3)

WolfDV - I'm also curious if anyone out west is getting harrassed. I have a feeling this whole thing initiated from over use of Bell towers out east.

W4lker - I couldn't have said it better myself. You had some really good points!
    Last edited by seaners; 08-21-2008 at 10:47 PM.

Device(s)
    LG- IQ
    Carrier(s)
    Telus.Hspa
    Feedback Score
    No doubt, i agree as well.

Nicely said.

WR

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    I agree with W4lker 100% .. very well worded and appropriate post!!

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast