Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread: Connect 75 Unlimited - Telus trying to force me into $65/1GB

Device(s)
    Treo $15 U/L EV-DO, Rogers Bold from work
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS Mobility = LiMit obTUSEly
    Feedback Score
    ^It's interesting when it all becomes personal -- i.e. down to one or two men who are doing this. Rob Durham and Fabian.

Rob and Fabian, if you ever stumble upon this thread, perhaps you could make an account and comment on my posts? These are the ones I'd like you to reply to in detail:

http://www.howardforums.com/showpost...4&postcount=72
    http://www.howardforums.com/showpost...7&postcount=90

Or will you just scurry back down your holes in cowardly silence, and plot more schemes to bilk Maritimers out of their money?

Feedback Score
    Another site with a story - looks like they're getting info from Geist

http://www.electronista.com/articles...ul.data.users/

Device(s)
    BlackBerry KeyONE, BlackBerry Classic
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (BB Curve 8330: BlackBerry8330/4.3.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/126 UP.Browser/5.0.3.3)

Quote Originally Posted by RoMu
    Another site with a story - looks like they're getting info from Geist

http://www.electronista.com/articles...ul.data.users/
    Nice, the article links to this thread!

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    CTV/ATV news story?

That would change some minds pretty fast.

Device(s)
    Sony Ericsson k790a
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    An investigation (with the risk of a $1Million fine) by the Competition Bureau and hundreds of $1k fees (per complaint) from CCTS cannot be hidden from Telus senior management for very long. I expect that there will be some significant yelling and screaming going on at Telus starting right about... ...now.

Device(s)
    Sony Ericsson k790a
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Telus rep (Hi Simon!) just confirmed to me that they will NOT put anything in writing. This is to enable their selective memory about what is promised or not.

Telus rep will offer you the $65 1GB (the Telus 'Windows Updates Only' plan, LOL) plan and you can pay extra to get it up to 5GB (the Telus 'Old Folks' plan, LOL). But if you use it a lot, then your monthly bill will be like a car payment.

Device(s)
    Nokia 3100
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    you guys just made it to the front page of slashdot.orgy - lol

http://news.slashdot.org/news/08/08/26/2037207.shtml

Feedback Score
    I have to apologize for an earlier post encouraging people to contact all the listed agencies in Tony2468's post. Although it is within your right to do so, here is something I learned today.

The CCTS will take up your case based solely on your contract dispute and try to help you reach a resolution. You're paying for unlimited but not getting what you paid for. Or maybe if you want out of the contact without having to pay cancellation fees and get your money back for the card. With their assistance you may get what you are looking for but maybe not.

However, if they find that you have also registered a complaint with the Competition Bureau, even though the complaint to the Bureau is for deceptive maketing / false advertising, the CCTS will consider this a conflict with their investigation and will drop your case. They do not want investigations into essentially the same thing overlapping. You may be able to get one or the other to suspend your case until the other one finishes but call and ask them first.

Sorry about that, I've never had to deal with anything like this before.

Device(s)
    LG- IQ
    Carrier(s)
    Telus.Hspa
    Feedback Score
    This is going to hurt them i suspect.

Telus i mean.

WR

Device(s)
    Treo $15 U/L EV-DO, Rogers Bold from work
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS Mobility = LiMit obTUSEly
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by icq2000b
    you guys just made it to the front page of slashdot.orgy - lol

http://news.slashdot.org/news/08/08/26/2037207.shtml
    Hey sweet W4lker FTW! They kept my original ording too.

6500 views on this thread all of a sudden...wasn't it around 2k this morning?
    Last edited by w4lker; 08-26-2008 at 08:40 PM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4 32GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RoMu
    I have to apologize for an earlier post encouraging people to contact all the listed agencies in Tony2468's post. Although it is within your right to do so, here is something I learned today.

The CCTS will take up your case based solely on your contract dispute and try to help you reach a resolution. You're paying for unlimited but not getting what you paid for. Or maybe if you want out of the contact without having to pay cancellation fees and get your money back for the card. With their assistance you may get what you are looking for but maybe not.

However, if they find that you have also registered a complaint with the Competition Bureau, even though the complaint to the Bureau is for deceptive maketing / false advertising, the CCTS will consider this a conflict with their investigation and will drop your case. They do not want investigations into essentially the same thing overlapping. You may be able to get one or the other to suspend your case until the other one finishes but call and ask them first.

Sorry about that, I've never had to deal with anything like this before.
    The CCTS has within their mandate to resolve complaints from contract terms, credit management, unautherized transfer of service, billing errors. They are required to resolve complaints within their mandate. False advertising is not part of their mandate.

The Competition Bureau has to investigate complaints regarding the compedtition act. False advertising and misrepresentation of a product or service are areas the Bureau must investigate.

Since the CCTS can't investigate false advertising but the Bureau can and the Bureau can't investigate contract disputes but the CCTS can, then there is no conflict as they are involved with seperate issues.

You have to word your letters properly in order to fit each mandate or scope.

Also, treat the CCTS as such they are helping you personaly, but the Bureau is acting for all.
    Last edited by Tony2468; 08-26-2008 at 08:26 PM.
    Go here to participate in changing Canada's Digital Future! http://de-en.gc.ca/home/

Canada's Net Neutrality Petition http://www.saveournet.ca/

Dissolve the CRTC! http://dissolvethecrtc.ca/

Device(s)
    Unlocked Rogers Blackberry Q10 | LG Nexus-4 | Samsung Nexus-S
    Carrier(s)
    Fido | Rogers Prepaid | LycaMobile US | Bell | T-Mobile Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by w4lker
    100% WRONG. You have posted a myth that originates from U.S. law and/or U.S. television shows.

I worked for a lawyer who recorded all his calls as a matter of course. The law in Canada is called One-Party Consent. Only one party to a conversation has to consent to its' recording, and that party can be YOU.

Look it up.

I use Resco: it works great.

http://www.resco.net/pocketpc/audiorecorder/default.asp
    Yes, from all the Canadian documents that I've read, it is legal to record a conversation in Canada as long as one of the participants in the conversation is aware of the recording.

For example, if my phone is automatically set to record all conversations and I make a call, it is legal (since I am aware that the phone is recording all conversations). If I lend my phone to someone and they are not aware that their conversation is being recorded (and the other person is not aware), this is illegal.
    Unlimited Fido Data Plan: Netgear Aircard LTE Mobile Hotspot

My Tech Blog

Feedback Score
    I use a Dell 5720 TELUS card in a laptop, and have been running the unit since March 08. My usage is typically low (under 2GB/month) and I haven't yet received a letter.

However, within four hours of this story showing up on Slashdot, I was called by a representative from Dell Canada, from whom I purchased the EVDO card. The girl I talked to wasn't using a script, and the conversation was very informal. She was calling from a direct line (I called it back and got a busy signal) with the number wide open. She wanted to know how satisfied I was with the quality of service from TELUS, and how I felt about my interactions with TELUS representatives. The whole thing seemed to center around "Has TELUS made us look bad?"

It's *possible* that this is unrelated, but given that I bought the card from them six months ago, it seems like an awfully coincidental time for them to give me a follow-up call.

Feedback Score
    Hmm, Yesterday the Telus stock price dropped....
    TSX: T Price: 39.41 Change: -0.75
    Is the Bad press/Bad decision making having an impact on the decision making of investors?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge/Various tablets
    Carrier(s)
    Telus Mobility/ "Tablet 5" + 2 Unpublished SMB plans
    Feedback Score
    Do you think Telus would be cancelling these accounts in the East if Bell didn't do it first?

When Telus came up with the plan they were counting on some Bell users in the west balancing out the Telus users in the East. If both companies get roughly the same number of subscribers on unlimited plans that are using the competitors native coverage area then it all balanced out.

For arguments sake say 1000 Bell customers were on unlimited in AB/BC and 1000 Telus customers were on unlimited in the East. At the end of the month Telus sends bell a huge bill for the 1000 customers on their network and Bell sends a huge bill to Telus for the 1000 customers they got. The two bills basically cancel each other out and even though the roaming use appears to be a huge cost it's offset by the revenue of roaming users from the other network. Now Bell went and cancelled all their unlimited users so there is nobody to offset that cost and Telus is guaranteed to loose money on anyone going over a certain amount of usage. We can assume that Telus is paying something less than $10/GB for roaming usage since they are charging this on their current top plan. Even if $10/GB is a breakeven point for them then it would indicate usage around 8GB and over is a direct drain on profits before you factor in any additional overhead.

So from a business perspective it makes sense why this is happening. The financial conditions under which these plans were first created no longer exist since Bell cancelled the possibility of offsetting roaming usage. Bell screwed Telus, and now Telus is screwing their own customers who are using partner networks. Feel the love. It's wrong, they should suck it up and take the hit on the balance sheet but they decided to go this route instead.
    Clearnet Digital PCS

We think everyone should be able to afford a wireless phone. That's why we were the first wireless company in North America to offer pay-by-the-second airtime, and why we don't charge an activation fee. NO scary contract to sign. Immediate national coverage. And a 30-day satisfaction guarantee. Yes, it's finally time to get a wireless phone.
    f u t u r e . f r i e n d l y™

Best viewed with Netscape 3.0 at 800 x 600 resolution.

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast